Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How hot is too hot for you to ride?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How hot is too hot for you to ride?

Old 07-19-19, 07:11 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
the best way to deal with summer temps is to not look at them and ride anyway. the moving part keeps you cool enough it's hot everyday so
Same here. I'll give a cursory look at the weather reports or the thermometer that sits in the shade in my back yard. If I give too much thought to what the temperature is reading, I'll psych myself right into sitting on the couch in the AC instead of getting things done.

However, I do ride in the mornings or evenings here near the Gulf Coast to avoid traffic, so a side benefit is I'm not out in the heat of the day on a bicycle.

I am out in the heat of the day doing other things. Sweating so much I need to wring out my clothes when I go back into the AC.
Old 07-19-19, 07:35 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I think people are spooked by the heat index. It used to be, they reported the temperature, and you had to guess the conditions based on humidity, which was mainly a function of your local climate and weather conditions. You also took your own fitness and activity into account.

Now people are looking directly at the heat index. So, what used to be a 95 degree day, is now a 115 degree day. Same weather, different terms for describing it. What's more, there appears to be greater variability in the readings, since some of the weather sites are using data from amateur weather stations.

Someone asked me: "How can you ride your bike when it's 115 degrees out?" The hardest part of answering, was convincing them that it wasn't really 115 degrees out: "It says so right here on my phone."
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 07-19-19, 07:44 AM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
No max for me here, either. But as the air temp reaches body temp (98F/37C) I definitely shorten my rides and don't ride as intense. Around this part of the country, dew points are often well above 70F/21C this time of year and that is the important number as far as I'm concerned. This weekend the air temp is supposed to be 100F with dew points pushing 80 -- brutal but I'm riding.

One thing that I've found really helps me is taking a salt supplement during the ride. A lick of salt followed by Gatorade every 2-3 miles goes down nice and I feel much better at the end of the ride.
Old 07-19-19, 07:46 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It's never been too hot for me to ride, since I've lived here in Georgia. It's very seldom hotter than high 90's. As long as I keep moving and have enough water I'm generally OK.
Old 07-19-19, 07:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Forecast for today, Saturday and Sunday is 99, 100 and 100, respectively, with possible heat indexes Saturday and Sunday of 110-113. Overnight lows are supposed to be in the 80s. I don't want to go outside when it's like that, much less ride a bike. Been there. Done that. For weeks. While crossing the country. I have nothing to prove. Can't ride anyway as I recently had some surgery on my thigh. No exercise for at least another week.

I already told by bar tender/friend that if she expects me at happy hour on Saturday she'll have to get me an Uber.
Old 07-19-19, 07:54 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
It's never been too hot for me to ride, since I've lived here in Georgia. It's very seldom hotter than high 90's. As long as I keep moving and have enough water I'm generally OK.
Where you live is critically important.

You live in Georgia. So you are used to Georgia heat and humidity. It's normal to your body. But someone from Siberia would die in 95 degree heat with sweltering humidity.

What's interesting is that anyone can acclimate to just about any condition.

I spent 3 months in Southern California once. When I got there it was like a dream! After 3 months I came home to the mid atlantic heat and humidity and couldn't breath. I had become so used to 72 degrees and no humidity that upon returning to where I was from my body had forgotten how to cope. After a while I got used to the mid atlantic again.

Other times I've been out of place were a visit to Portland, Maine and Miami, Florida.

Being from the mid atlantic I found Portland to be a bit chilly with highs in the low 50's in April. But there were French Candians who had come south for the beach!!! So I'm freezing. The locals are comfortable. And the Canadians are melting in the heat!

A couple of times I have been in Miami in February and I was thrilled that there were lows in the mid 60's. I'm walking around in shorts and a t shirt at night while the locals are wearing jackets and gloves looking at me like I'm nuts.

Where you're from and what your body is used to makes all the difference in the world.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 07-19-19, 07:55 AM
zarbog

Bikes: Giant SLR GX1 Toughroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I am 69 and about 15 pounds overweight. Yesterday's fast 35 km ride with the humidity making the temp feel like 94, was fine, drank one litre of water in small sips. Lost 1.4 pounds upon weighing myself after the ride, all through sweat. You don't notice the sweat when riding with modern moisture wicking materials.

Today it's hotter, tomorrow more so again. Just cut the grass with my gas push mower. I am one big pool of sweat and I would not ride today or tomorrow. Not going to cause a potential body break down for the sake of a ride.
Old 07-19-19, 08:00 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by zarbog
I am 69 and about 15 pounds overweight. Yesterday's fast 35 km ride with the humidity making the temp feel like 94, was fine, drank one litre of water in small sips. Lost 1.4 pounds upon weighing myself after the ride, all through sweat. You don't notice the sweat when riding with modern moisture wicking materials.

Today it's hotter, tomorrow more so again. Just cut the grass with my gas push mower. I am one big pool of sweat and I would not ride today or tomorrow. Not going to cause a potential body break down for the sake of a ride.
The combination of how much I'll sweat and why I want to ride is a big factor as well.

I didn't ride to work today because I didn't feel like being a sloppy bag of wetness when I got to my office. And even though I change when I get here my riding clothes would have been soaked, and they would not dry sitting in my chilly office all day. So I'd have to put on cold wet riding clothes to ride home. No thanks. I'm good.

But I might go for a joy ride to get breakfast tomorrow morning in the same conditions where I don't care how sloppy I get because I can take a shower as soon as I get home and can throw my stuff right in the washing machine with the rest of my laundry I need to do.
Old 07-19-19, 08:02 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Cycling is different than running stuff in that you're moving a solid volume of air over your body to exchange your body heat despite it being really hot.

Running, even a fast runner is only going 10mph.

Now, if it's really hot I turn the intensity knob down and just do tempo. I move to electrolyte mix in the bottles and take an extra sandwich bag with a scoop in that also to refill. I also add some salt/sodium to the mix when it is really hot.

I also tend to take a shadier route like a gravel ride, then utilize the bike wash station to wash myself each lap!
Old 07-19-19, 08:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I didn't ride to work today because I didn't feel like being a sloppy bag of wetness when I got to my office. And even though I change when I get here my riding clothes would have been soaked, and they would not dry sitting in my chilly office all day. So I'd have to put on cold wet riding clothes to ride home. No thanks. I'm good.
That was my life in the summer for several years. Putting on those wet, cold clothes for the return trip home was the worst.
Old 07-19-19, 08:09 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
I know nothing about hot weather.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-19-19, 08:11 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Did a 60 mile ride yesterday in 103º (heat index). Didn't have any problem with the heat during the ride but was pretty wiped out after I got home. In temps like that, I don't even worry about speed, just making sure that I'm properly hydrated. If you live in Florida and are concerned about the heat, you'll probably never get a ride in.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 07-19-19 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-19-19, 08:13 AM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
Old 07-19-19, 08:14 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
No limit for me. I have no heat limit for running either, and that's harder in the heat than cycling, just make sure I stay hydrated and I'm good. But I'm also weird and handle the heat better than most people I know.
Old 07-19-19, 08:22 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
NYC Triathlon Cancelled

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 07-19-19, 08:23 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by indyfabz
That was my life in the summer for several years. Putting on those wet, cold clothes for the return trip home was the worst.
Usually I'll get a little sweaty in the morning but not soaking. My clothes will dry in my office when there are just a few damp spots.

But when they are soaked and dripping....nope. They will still be fully wet when it's closing time.

Now on the ride home I get drenched nearly every day in the summer. But again...I don't care. I come home, go inside, stop at the washing machine on the way in, and go shower and put on dry clothes.
Old 07-19-19, 09:00 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Where you live is critically important.
@Skipjacks is 100% correct.

There are multiple heat related threads right now.

Northerners - Montreal, NYC, Ohio, Wisconsin - are complaining about nausea, not being able to complete rides, asking about temperature limits and so forth. Southerners - Florida, South Carolina, Texas - are responding that it is always hot so just ride, it isn't a big deal, just stay hydrated and you will be OK, etc.

Northerners are just not acclimated to the heat, that's all. Not an insult or bragging. Just an observation.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 07-19-19, 10:06 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Ride faster and let the wind keep me cool.
Old 07-19-19, 10:13 AM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
How hot is too much to ride? Reflecting back to the 1970's, I had a paper route in the lower desert (Palm Desert near Palm Springs). Summer heat hit 130 F back then, but papers had to be delivered every day regardless of weather. So every day I peddled. Today I live on the shore of the Pacific (Huntington Beach - Greater Los Angeles). Climate is cool all year, but we do get periodic heat waves in the triple digits. I still keep to schedule, and live car free. So when need be somewhere, I ride. Wind is more of an issue, but just ride and keep water stock within reach.
Old 07-19-19, 10:22 AM
LawSchweiin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Hi, I find humidity and dew point have just as much effect as temperature. I'm on the east coast of the US this week / weekend, and I will not be riding. High 90s and high humidity are too much to handle and I find regardless of water, I cannot cool off adequately. At some point the environment is too hot for your body to shed heat.
Old 07-19-19, 10:33 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
How hot is too hot to ride? If your wheels are melting and sticking to the road. Otherwise get out there!
Old 07-19-19, 10:46 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,026 Times in 1,426 Posts
I've lived in North Texas all my life, so I'm *supposed* to be used to the heat. But I'm not. I won't ride if it's much hotter than 95. I refuse to ride if it's over 100.

-Matt
Old 07-19-19, 10:51 AM
road292

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Am I the only one who drinks plain water even in high heat (I'm in a suburb of NYC, so 95F+ this weekend)? I've found that the electrolyte drinks taste fine for the first few miles and then make my stomach hurt.
Old 07-19-19, 10:56 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
You're probably not the only one, but I am certainly NOT a water only guy. After a few hours, the water is for pouring into my helmet, the Gatorade is for trying to keep my electrolyte balance sorta normalized. I don't take in anything but water for usually the first 90 minutes, generally no need. Once it's up into the 90s, the sweat is constant, and I need to try to stay on top of it. The ride with a peak at 111º only had about 40oz of Gatorade, and it should have been more. I likely lost 12-15lbs of sweat that day. Drank over 2 gallons, ate 3 full meals, went bed lighter than when I woke up.
Old 07-19-19, 11:05 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
No issues here either.
25 miles yesterday at 90 degrees and didn’t bother bringing a water bottle.
We are not all delicate flowers
It's not a contest. But if it were, anything involving a ride of only 25 miles would get you a participation ribbon, at best.

Last edited by Koyote; 07-19-19 at 11:25 AM.
Likes For Koyote:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.