Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

lockable box on the front

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 10:38 PM
eggnoggbubble

Bikes: Surly Pack Rat (size 54 - I'm 5'11"), Surly Pugsley Ops (tires:JJ4.0)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

hi pedallers,

I'm thinking a front basket would be a convenient add-on to my mundo, for convenience of 'just throw it in and go'. I want the kind that DOESNT attach to the handlebars, so it doesnt affect the steering while loaded. I guess this means it'll attach to the head tube. Anyone got anything similar? Anyone know where I could buy one, most baskets seem to attach to the handlebars.

I'm also thinking some kind of lockable storage box would be a good idea, to keep my wallet and phone if i go for a swim, and for leaving stuff like tools and spare tube in - stuff i never take off the bike. I looked around for an ammo box but havent found one yet. Anyone found anything suitable? I'm sure i saw an aluminium lockbox on the workcycles website, but i went again and can't find it, maybe i saw it somewhere else.

and then i started thinking that it might be a good idea to combine these two - a lockable box on the front. Convenient for throwing in stuff, and i can leave stuff on the bike. And I can open the lid up (it would need to be able to open all the way for this, sideways, so the lid fully-opened folded flush with the side of the box) if i want to carry something a bit bigger in there - i am thinking this is a good place for the dog to ride (she's a small dog). That'll be quite a picture when my baby gets big enough to ride in the seat behind the handlebars - it'll go dog, small child, and finally the adult behind powering the whole thing (followed on the back by bigger luggage - beach gear etc).

anyone found or made anything similar? I don't really have any manufacturing skills as yet (just vague plans in my head), but i'm hoping to find someone who can weld to help get me started on making stuff myself. Anyone have photos of something they have made? Or anyone know where I could buy something that fits the description? A frame-mounded bread platform, followed by a lockable box, might be a good compromise.

I guess I'd need to mount the front lights on the box somehow, since it would block the beam if they were still on the handlebars. that shouldnt be to hard tho

happy loading and wobbling

ps in my mind i am writing a review of my mundo to post on this forum. hopefully soon i'll sit down and put thoughts to keyboard.

Last edited by eggnoggbubble; 09-20-09 at 10:41 PM. Reason: ungarblage
Old 09-20-09, 10:57 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
https://www.ortliebusa.com/CartGenie/prod-141.htm

The Ortlieb Bike Box II is the only one I can come up with right off the top of my head.
It will mount to a front "flat-top" rack.
Old 09-21-09, 12:33 AM
macfred 

Bikes: can't count them all

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The aluminium lockbox on the WorkCyles website is a `Zargesī...

https://www.workcycles.nl/workbike/bi...very-bike.html

https://www.zarges.de/de/logistikgeraete.html

greetings
andy
Old 09-21-09, 08:40 PM
eggnoggbubble

thanks guys,

that zarges site looks like the ticket, I knew i'd seen that on the workcycles site, thanks for finding it for me (fr8 page, duh). bewildering choice tho, and i couldnt see prices which is offputting.

I've bookmarked that site for future reference as I give this some more thought, thanks

anyone any suggestions for the rack to mount it on? needs to attach to the frame so it doesnt affect the steering.

thanks
Old 09-22-09, 02:58 AM
macfred 

Bikes: can't count them all

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
This is your rack.... https://www.workcycles.de/lastenfahrr...eger.html.html

Old 09-22-09, 11:39 AM
SlimAgainSoon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Man, that's a nice rack.

Clever way of hooking it to the bike.
Old 09-22-09, 11:41 AM
SlimAgainSoon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I once bolted a small toolbox to a rack (mine was on the rear) for this purpose.

It was very handy, and nothing could bounce out.

Easy to put a small lock on most toolboxes.
Old 09-22-09, 01:33 PM
Allen

That rack pressure fits in the mounting bracket; it is very easy to mount and remove.
That rack is a little difficult to find in the States and a bit pricy (and heavy) but it's a work horse.

Old 09-22-09, 06:27 PM
eggnoggbubble

if i may paraphrase naked gun: "wow, great looking rack"
("thanks, i just had it mounted...")

it attaches to the downtube? the downtube on my yuba is pretty wide (like an aluminium frame, only wider, and made of steel!), is there a limit on the diameter downtube the rack will fit to? It's kind of oval too, it flares out from the join to the headtube (the page says the downtube needs to be straight). for measurements I'll need to take a photo and add the dimensions in.

the english version of the rack page (my dutch is a little non-existent) said it generally won't fit mtn bikes, tho it isnt clear to me exactly why. any thoughts? the yuba is basically mtb-like as far as i know (i dont know much) also it says I'll need workshop skills, which i dont really have, tho' I might be able to find someone who does.

I'll probably email workcycles asking about the yuba, they might have seen one and know if it'll fit or not.

slimagain - I'm looking around for a suitable tool box also. I'm now thinking the rack is the first stage, after that it's easy to figure out what to mount on it.

thanks for the thoughts
Old 09-22-09, 07:52 PM
Allen

Sorry, the mounting piece won't fit a large size tube without modifying the mount plate.
It's a piece of pipe, cut in half, with two smaller tubes welded to its sides.
The tines of the rack slide into the tubes. I forget the width of the downtube that it fits. Somewhere around 1 1/8 or so, same diameter as is on my Salsa La Raza.

I have the mounting plate epoxied in place on that frame. Normally it is held on with two large hose clamps.
Old 09-23-09, 07:08 AM
eggnoggbubble

yeah, i emailed workcycles and henry replied saying the mundo would need to lose the shifter cable stops on the downtube (and i'd need to add new ones elsewhere) and the v-brakes for hub or roller brakes (looking again at the pics above i can see that the v-brake would be in the way) Oh well. Looks like a great rack.

(I seriously considered an fr8 before settling on the yuba, workcycles look like superb bicycles. I may go to england to see family next year - if i do I may try to squeeze in a weekend in amsterdam, i want to see a city that runs on bicycles, preferably from the saddle of a (rented) workcycle. The yuba was a good choice tho', I'm carrying a lot of stuff on that thing nowadays, and its geared low enough for the hills around here)

back to racks - i suddenly remembered seeing a yuba breadplatform somewhere, searched the website but it turned out to be on the promotional flyer i got with the yoob, so I've emailed ben at yuba asking about it.

edit: allenG, your bike has v-brakes! you got the rack to fit, i see. Still leaves the downtube issue tho'.

Last edited by eggnoggbubble; 09-23-09 at 07:11 AM. Reason: looked at allenG's bike pic again
Old 09-23-09, 10:40 AM
Allen

Originally Posted by eggnoggbubble
edit: allenG, your bike has v-brakes! you got the rack to fit, i see. Still leaves the downtube issue tho'.
That's on a shock adjusted 29er fork, on a smaller fork there may be v-brake clearance issues.
Old 09-23-09, 11:36 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I remember reading on one of the box-type trikes where they specifically don't make the box where it will lock because if you do, people will tear it up to get into it, even if nothing is there. So think twice before leaving a bike untended with stuff in a locked box- better to have a detachable box.

Edit: That was on the Haley Trikes FAQ: "Can the box lock?...No. The box doesn't lock to avoid damage from nighttime break-ins, as well as for child safety reasons."

Last edited by StephenH; 09-23-09 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-24-09, 06:56 AM
eggnoggbubble

stephenH - interesting thought, tho here in japan stuff is pretty safe, I mainly want to deter random opportunists. tourists are targeted a bit in okinawa. But serious forced break-ins (even to cars) are still pretty rare.

that said, the lock does kind of say "there's something in here worth locking up....", might be better to carry not much worth stealing - my crappy cellphone and $20 or so is how i usually go to the beach, so maybe not worth worrying huh?

good thought, thanks for sharing
Old 08-04-11, 07:09 AM
HaChayalBoded

Bikes: an old Fuji folding piece of **** contraption thingamabob.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by macfred

Do you have any close up shots of the mounting method? I get the idea but I would like specifics. I have plenty of spare motorcycle racks that I can probably make work with some conduit or aluminum.
Old 08-04-11, 02:45 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
Do you have any close up shots of the mounting method? I get the idea but I would like specifics. I have plenty of spare motorcycle racks that I can probably make work with some conduit or aluminum.
Shoot an email to WorkCycles and ask. I have communicated and purchased a couple of things from them in the past. Great people to deal with.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-04-11, 02:55 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eggnoggbubble
hi pedallers,

I'm thinking a front basket would be a convenient add-on to my mundo, for convenience of 'just throw it in and go'. I want the kind that DOESNT attach to the handlebars, so it doesnt affect the steering while loaded. I guess this means it'll attach to the head tube. Anyone got anything similar? Anyone know where I could buy one, most baskets seem to attach to the handlebars.

I'm also thinking some kind of lockable storage box would be a good idea, to keep my wallet and phone if i go for a swim, and for leaving stuff like tools and spare tube in - stuff i never take off the bike. I looked around for an ammo box but havent found one yet. Anyone found anything suitable? I'm sure i saw an aluminium lockbox on the workcycles website, but i went again and can't find it, maybe i saw it somewhere else.

and then i started thinking that it might be a good idea to combine these two - a lockable box on the front. Convenient for throwing in stuff, and i can leave stuff on the bike. And I can open the lid up (it would need to be able to open all the way for this, sideways, so the lid fully-opened folded flush with the side of the box) if i want to carry something a bit bigger in there - i am thinking this is a good place for the dog to ride (she's a small dog). That'll be quite a picture when my baby gets big enough to ride in the seat behind the handlebars - it'll go dog, small child, and finally the adult behind powering the whole thing (followed on the back by bigger luggage - beach gear etc).

anyone found or made anything similar? I don't really have any manufacturing skills as yet (just vague plans in my head), but i'm hoping to find someone who can weld to help get me started on making stuff myself. Anyone have photos of something they have made? Or anyone know where I could buy something that fits the description? A frame-mounded bread platform, followed by a lockable box, might be a good compromise.

I guess I'd need to mount the front lights on the box somehow, since it would block the beam if they were still on the handlebars. that shouldnt be to hard tho

happy loading and wobbling

ps in my mind i am writing a review of my mundo to post on this forum. hopefully soon i'll sit down and put thoughts to keyboard.

Why not consider a solution closer to home? There are many plastic or metal tool boxes that will serve you well. Then you could always build you own box from wood to your design.

Remember, the strongest box in the world will still be mounted on a bicycle that can be stolen.....box,bike and all!!

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 08-04-11, 03:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Okinawa, civilian or Military?

Know any Fabricators on the Island?

closer is Taiwan, . 90% 0f bike stuff starts there, these days..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-04-11 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-04-11, 04:57 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Originally Posted by Nightshade
Why not consider a solution closer to home? There are many plastic or metal tool boxes that will serve you well. Then you could always build you own box from wood to your design.

Remember, the strongest box in the world will still be mounted on a bicycle that can be stolen.....box,bike and all!!
Did you happen to notice the date on the post you responded too?

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 08-06-11, 11:48 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Did you happen to notice the date on the post you responded too?

Aaron
No, I didn't check the date.

I figured that since you responded before I did it was safe!

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 08-06-11, 11:58 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by Nightshade
No, I didn't check the date.

I figured that since you responded before I did it was safe!
Lead, follow or get out of the way?

I was responding to a later post...but have been known to respond to the zombies before

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon