Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

$1,200 in your pocket - XC Radish, or Madsen?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-09, 10:15 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Which would you choose, and why?

Old 10-09-09, 11:38 AM
jdmitch
Non-Spandex Commuter

Bikes: Trek Soho S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You looking at the bucket Madsen or the rack? What are you planning on using it for?

In general terms:
Rack Madsen ~ Radish + Cargo Kit (of some sort).
Bucket Madsen > Radish.
You don't need to dress up like a spandex super hero to ride your bike.
Old 10-09-09, 01:48 PM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Links? I'm lazy- I already clicked your thread, I'm not opening a bunch of google searches too.
Old 10-09-09, 02:17 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Neither. I'd put it toward a trip to DC for cycling and hockey.
Old 10-09-09, 03:05 PM
billyymc

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan
Links? I'm lazy- I already clicked your thread, I'm not opening a bunch of google searches too.
Sorry, thought that in a Utility Cycling forum both these bikes would be pretty well known.

https://www.madsencycles.com/bikes/

https://www.xtracycle.com/cargo-utili...es/radish.html

Condorita - no trip for you!

I'm just wondering how these two compare, more in terms of build quality, handling characteristics, capacity. I can read the specs, so can compare those for myself. Anyone out there have first hand experience with both these bikes?

And yes, I understand that the bucket makes the Madsen a bit different beast, but I dont' think I"d want that -- I'd get a rack version if I got one....so right away that puts it ahead of the Radish in my mind, which requires separate rack attachment.

Old 10-09-09, 06:02 PM
aykew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden both (though have neither) and I think if you're looking for a dedicated cargo bike, the Madsen's big 'ol bucket is better for quick loading and unloading. The Radish feels and handles more like a normal bike when unloaded and the Xtracycle Freeloaders are just brilliantly flexible, though you do have fewer options for bulky items. (The Madsen's bucket allows big items to ride lower) Both are pretty slowly geared, but the Madsen felt slower than the Radish.

For build quality, the Radish definitely felt better sorted out and polished than the Madsen. Also, the chain broke during my Madsen test ride, which probably is coloring my impressions a bit.

If it were a choice between the two, I'd definitely go with the Radish unless I was going to be riding with cargo on almost every single ride. If you live in a hilly area or need to ride fast-ish to keep up with traffic, I'd actually recommend finding an older steel mountain bike on craigslist in good condition with a triple crank and having your local bike shop install the Xtracycle Free Radical... of course that's exactly what I have, so I'm biased.
Old 10-09-09, 06:08 PM
jdmitch
Non-Spandex Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't speak for the Radish, however I would say that were I to every go xtra-cycle I'd be going Big Dummy. Simply to remove the weak point of the dual frame connection. I own the Bucket Madsen, plenty stiff rear end, haven't ridden the rack one, but I imagine getting the

You'll probably want to change out cosmetic components (saddle, handlebar or grips, tires), but I'd imagine you'd want to do this with the Radish anyway.

The only thing I'd say the Radish has going for it is that it has the more powerful brake in the back (both have one disc and one v-brake). Back is probably where you want the more powerful brake. However, the Madsen fork is quite beefy, so I don't know that it matters.

Once you get used to it (most longtails need an adjustment period for the rider), the Madsen rides great. I like the fact that the wheel in the back is smaller which leads to more stability.

Frankly, given the money I wouldn't pick a Radish over the Madsen (rack or bucket). You'd have to add at least a cargo kit and the kickback to get the Radish up to comparable utility to the Madsen Rack... and once you add that, you're over the price of the Madsen rack.
Old 10-11-09, 11:00 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I'd go with an Organic Engines SUV trike for cargo or pulling a trailer, although I would have to come up with another $550 or so ...

Here are some pics of one being used to pull a sailboat on a trailer, and a cargo trailer and a link to the gallery

Last edited by bicyclridr4life; 10-12-09 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Add The Picture Links
Old 10-12-09, 01:21 AM
eggnoggbubble

Bikes: Surly Pack Rat (size 54 - I'm 5'11"), Surly Pugsley Ops (tires:JJ4.0)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
for what its' worth, i love my mundo, slightly cheaper too (i think)
Old 10-12-09, 06:30 AM
jdmitch
Non-Spandex Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life
I'd go with an Organic Engines SUV trike for cargo or pulling a trailer, although I would have to come up with another $550 or so ...
Holy CRAP, I'm digging on the OE Trixie...

Originally Posted by eggnoggbubble
for what its' worth, i love my mundo, slightly cheaper too (i think)
The Mundo V3 frame has disc brake tabs. It's be a fun bike to build up from scratch.
Old 10-12-09, 10:40 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'd go today with the Kona Ute. A Surly Big Dummy knockoff and I've seen the 2010 model. Very nice!
Old 10-12-09, 08:01 PM
Mr. Markets
Who has a good sense of humor for going along with my little April Fool Gag (The Admin)

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://organicengines.com/mystery-machine/

anyone check this?
Old 10-12-09, 09:32 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Madsen seems to have it going. Then again, I have a UTE so the Radish would not be an option for me.
Old 10-12-09, 10:10 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fortunately, for those of us who don't want to build our own long tail bikes, the number of cargo bikes available is increasing. I think the Gazelle Cabby looks interesting, but, unfortunately, I suspect the price will be very high--it should be available in the US by the end of this year or early next year.

Last edited by nwmtnbkr; 10-13-09 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-13-09, 04:26 AM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm partial to this style myself. Keep the load where you can see it.
Old 10-18-09, 12:04 PM
xargaun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have both a Radish and a bike that I put a FreeRadical on.

I have looked at the Bucket but haven't ridden it. From the kicking the tires perspective I would definitely point out it is a big bike. I can turn the radish around on the sidewalk/planting strip without a problem, have a feeling a Bucket won't do that.

Compared to the Radish I didn't think the Bucket was nearly as cleanly put together. May have just been the one I looked at, but in spite of looking really solid it also looked kinda cheap. It has a low price considering what it is, and keeping it affordable is obviously a priority. I would be concerned some of the components they had to use to keep the cost down aren't gonna stand up to the weight. From a coolness factor though, its been pretty hard not to abuse the credit card and just get one.

I had the Radish shipped to me and put it together myself. I used to assemble new bikes for my uncle's shop, and I was surprised the Radish came more assembled than most bikes do (or did 10 yrs ago anyway). Pretty much had to put the bars, seat, and pedals on, check everything out and you're done. Fit and finish is pretty nice, paint is especially nice, and for the most part it is just ready to go. The gearing it came with is pretty good for an all around ride. Have a 400ft climb to the house from the grocery store, and it doesn't go super low but I had no problem getting up the hill with 40 lbs of kid in the PeaPod and some groceries.
Two things I did not like though:
1. The seat sucks. It's the same width as the seat that came on my cyclocross bike, and for a sit-up ride it is way uncomfortable. Might not be a problem for a smaller/lighter person (like maybe a woman who is 5'4"), but I took it off after one ride. I know seats are a personal thing and pretty much everyone changes them, but I hate buying something and having to start throwing parts away.
2. Has disc brake in the back, but not in the front. I know they are trying to keep cost down, but I can't imagine upping the price $50 or so to include a disc brake on front would turn too many people away. Particularly since in our case, we got it as a combo with the PeaPod child seat. My wife is not mechanically inclined at all and knows jack about bikes, but she nagged me the whole time I was assembling it that she was concerned about the lack of disc up front. The rim brakes do work, but they aren't exactly confidence inspiring when you are packing 50 lbs of groceries and have a 2 yr old behind you. Even less confidence inspiring since I put 8" hydraulic discs on the other bike and it feels like it could stop a landslide.

So after all that longwindedness, I think the key thing I could offer is that the Radish you could ride all the time, hauling or not. Without a load on it, it's just a cruiser. I don't think I could see riding the Bucket unless I needed it to haul something.

Being fall, one of the LBS in my neighborhood is/was closing out their Kona Utes. They had two left last week for $600. Might be something to consider.

Also, I see Jenson has Big Dummy frames on sale for $699. Don't know if they are closing them out or just having a sale. I am thinking about getting one of those and swapping the guts of my xtracycle to it. For normal grocery runs my aluminum mt bike plus FreeRad combo is fine. If I put more than 100 lbs or so on it tho, I can feel the flex pretty bad.