Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Flatbar Conversion - Trek Madone

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 11-14-16, 04:57 PM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Flatbar conversion on a 2013 Trek 4.7 Madone

Changes needed for flat bar conversion:
  • I took inspiration from the higher end Trek FX models. So for the handlebars, I decided to get Bontrager Isozone handlebars with a width of 600mm. They feel great on the hands with or without gloves.
  • I have the previous generation Shimano Ultegra (6700) front/rear derailleurs and brakes on my bike. So for the shifters, I went with the previous generation Tiagra (4600) flat bar shifters. (My research indicates that the current generation Tiagra (4700) shifters, while still a 10 speed system, will not work with the previous gen 10 speed Ultegra derailleurs.) Shifting works great, but I have some issues with the placement/positioning of the triggers. I've gotten used to the combination brake/shifter levers from the Trek 7.2 FX, where I pull on the triggers with my index finger to shift to smaller rear cogs. On these Tiagra shifters, I feel that the triggers are a little too short for a pulling action, so I have to use my thumbs to push on them. They shift really well when pushed, but my issue is that I have to sort of maneuver my thumbs around the bigger/outside trigger, to get into a proper position to use the inside triggers. So I can't shift up and down as fast as I want to, though I'm thinking I will eventually get used to it and it will be fine.
  • For the brakes, I wanted to just get the basic Shimano flat bar shifters, but the bike shop decided to install Deore brake levers anyway. It works really well though, so I am not complaining.
Riding Impressions:
  • So far I've only been able to get in 1 real ride on this bike. However it was actually a pretty fun ride. I actually even took it out on the road for the first time ever and it felt pretty good riding it on the road.
  • Part of the reason I wanted to do a flatbar conversion was because I wanted to keep the lightweight frame and Ultegra brakes/derailleurs. I am happy to report that even after the conversion, the bike still feels really light (though not as light as before) and the Ultegra brakes/derailleurs are playing well with the new flatbar brake levers/shifters.
  • I feel like cornering at speed has been diminished a little, possibly because of the more upright position, or I am just not used to the new handlebars on this bike yet.
  • The main reason for doing the flatbar conversion was to alleviate issues I was having with neck and shoulder pain. (The bike is a little big for me. It is 54cm, when I should really be riding 52cm frames.) After the conversion, the resulting bike fits me a lot better. I don't feel like my body needs to stretch out too far to reach the handlebars. It now has a more comfortable upright position, though not as upright as the position on say a Trek 7.2 FX. I was able to keep the stock 90mm stem because the bike was already big to begin with. I didn't feel any shoulder/neck pain during the ride and the day after the ride (which is usually when it bothers me).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1516.jpg (97.5 KB, 485 views)
IMG_1517.jpg (98.4 KB, 473 views)
IMG_1518.jpg (96.8 KB, 467 views)
IMG_1519.jpg (98.2 KB, 473 views)
Old 11-14-16, 05:20 PM
jase33

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 4, 2014 Niner RLT 9 [storage], K2 Shadow 9 [indoor trainer]

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That looks sweet! I hope you get the shifting issue sorted out.

Them pedals tho
Old 11-15-16, 07:27 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by finch204
Flatbar conversion
  • I feel like cornering at speed has been diminished a little, possibly because of the more upright position, or I am just not used to the new handlebars on this bike yet.
Definitely because of the new position. It's not just the fact you have a higher center of gravity either, there is probably a psychological factor involved, the fact that you're looking down from a higher position can often make you 'feel' a little uneasy leaning the bike over a long way. I know it is a factor with me, especially on a motor cycle at high speed

But who cares, you have a great looking setup there finch, and the wider bar position will give you a lot more control on the rough stuff. Well done.
Old 11-15-16, 09:32 AM
finch204

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jase33
That looks sweet! I hope you get the shifting issue sorted out.

Them pedals tho
Ah yes, I was expecting some people to comment on my basic platform pedals . Honestly it's not a big deal for me that they are basic pedals. I have a bad left knee, which is why I am cycling instead of running. I don't want to risk re-injuring my knee by trying out clipless pedals. Also I ride at night 95% of the time, so I want pedals with reflectors on them. It also allows me to ride with whatever shoe I want. I alternate between my Puma, Onitsuka and Nike sneakers. I see myself sticking with platform pedals for the foreseeable future.

Originally Posted by coominya
Definitely because of the new position. It's not just the fact you have a higher center of gravity either, there is probably a psychological factor involved, the fact that you're looking down from a higher position can often make you 'feel' a little uneasy leaning the bike over a long way. I know it is a factor with me, especially on a motor cycle at high speed

But who cares, you have a great looking setup there finch, and the wider bar position will give you a lot more control on the rough stuff. Well done.
You are right. I am not going to worry about it. I actually am more motivated to ride my bike now than before.
Old 11-15-16, 09:54 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Looks great. I converted a road bike to a flat bar and love it. Good for you to do this, but I don't see a mirror. Please get a mirror to put on the end of the bar - you will love having it. Flatbars accommodate mirrors very well and you will be amazed at how much more confident you'll feel riding in traffic. I prefer the hand position of a flatbar. The flatbar is lower than riding in the "hoods" where most people ride most of the time so I don't buy the "upright position" issue. Very nice.
Old 11-15-16, 09:59 AM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Sweet conversion! We're about to do the same for my SO, he wants road bike gearing with flat bars and for some reason that kind of bike is not available around here.

If you ever want to try clipless, may I suggest you try the Shimano Click'r range? It's a range of "commuting" pedals, easier to clip and unclip (really, I've never fallen because, in an emergency, they release easily even if I forget to unclip) and do come with reflectors. There's also a model that comes with a platform on one side, that I'm considering because, like you, I don't always feel like grabbing my cycling shoes.
Old 11-15-16, 11:31 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

Absolutely beautiful ride! As I mentioned somewhere on another thread, i may convert my 2016 emonda sl 6 to flatbar.

but back to the subject, your bike is absolutely beautiful and the flat bar makes it look like they came on the bike stock. it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb like some other conversions i've seen. great job!
Old 11-15-16, 01:03 PM
finch204

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by practical
Looks great. I converted a road bike to a flat bar and love it. Good for you to do this, but I don't see a mirror. Please get a mirror to put on the end of the bar - you will love having it. Flatbars accommodate mirrors very well and you will be amazed at how much more confident you'll feel riding in traffic. I prefer the hand position of a flatbar. The flatbar is lower than riding in the "hoods" where most people ride most of the time so I don't buy the "upright position" issue. Very nice.
I hear you on the mirror. Whenever I noticed headlights coming up from the rear, I would swing my head back to see what is coming. Sometimes when I do this, my bike would twitch. I know that I can improve my control of the bike by practicing this motion, but I think a mirror would really be beneficial in this regard. Thankfully the motorists on the road were accommodating and were passing me on the left lane.

Originally Posted by kuroba
Sweet conversion! We're about to do the same for my SO, he wants road bike gearing with flat bars and for some reason that kind of bike is not available around here.

If you ever want to try clipless, may I suggest you try the Shimano Click'r range? It's a range of "commuting" pedals, easier to clip and unclip (really, I've never fallen because, in an emergency, they release easily even if I forget to unclip) and do come with reflectors. There's also a model that comes with a platform on one side, that I'm considering because, like you, I don't always feel like grabbing my cycling shoes.
I have heard of the Click'r line but have not really looked into them. When I'm feeling adventurous, I will check them out

Originally Posted by sh00k
Absolutely beautiful ride! As I mentioned somewhere on another thread, i may convert my 2016 emonda sl 6 to flatbar.

but back to the subject, your bike is absolutely beautiful and the flat bar makes it look like they came on the bike stock. it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb like some other conversions i've seen. great job!
I would want to see what a flatbar Emonda would look like.

I was actually worried that it would look off after the conversion. Thankfully it turned out pretty well. The wife even complimented on how good the bike looks after the conversion.
Old 11-15-16, 01:16 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Very, very nice (and clean!) conversion, @finch204.

So glad you avoided any hint of this kind of travesty (comment is purely personal opinion/aesthetic; people can and should do whatever they want with their bikes):
Attached Images
world's greatest madone.jpg (23.9 KB, 412 views)
Old 11-15-16, 03:35 PM
coominya

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Ah yes, I was expecting some people to comment on my basic platform pedals . Honestly it's not a big deal for me that they are basic pedals. I have a bad left knee, which is why I am cycling instead of running. I don't want to risk re-injuring my knee by trying out clipless pedals.
Fair enough too, I use clipless and they can cause issues. You might want to keep an open mind about cages (loosely set) though. I used them, toe clips most call them, for years and years and if you have the straps loose they are simple to escape from. I like them or clipless because they allow you to basically forget where your feet are. You can pedal super fast, stand up, corner aggressively, all the while being relaxed that your feet wont slip off. They look cool too. Especially these styles.

Lots of options too.

Old 11-16-16, 02:51 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
I mentioned in the other thread how much I loved the look of your bike, what it also reminds me of is the F1 car of the Williams F1 team of 2003ish.
Old 11-16-16, 10:41 AM
finch204

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by badger1
Very, very nice (and clean!) conversion, @finch204.

So glad you avoided any hint of this kind of travesty (comment is purely personal opinion/aesthetic; people can and should do whatever they want with their bikes):
Thanks! Oh my, I am not a fan of how that bike looks.

Fair enough too, I use clipless and they can cause issues. You might want to keep an open mind about cages (loosely set) though. I used them, toe clips most call them, for years and years and if you have the straps loose they are simple to escape from. I like them or clipless because they allow you to basically forget where your feet are. You can pedal super fast, stand up, corner aggressively, all the while being relaxed that your feet wont slip off. They look cool too. Especially these styles.
I've read that toe clips + straps are the worst pedal retention system available. That's just what I've read. I've never actually rode a bike with them installed.

If I were to upgrade my pedals and my only reason for doing so is to make sure my feet stays in place when spinning, I would most likely go for Power Grips first, Click'r pedals second. If I didn't have a bad knee, I would probably be riding with clipless pedals today.

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I mentioned in the other thread how much I loved the look of your bike, what it also reminds me of is the F1 car of the Williams F1 team of 2003ish.
Oh right, the color scheme looks very similar!
Old 11-16-16, 11:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
But that is because you just read it..

After 30 odd years of riding on tour I preferred Toe clips, again, because The shoes I use with them fit best and are not too tight.

Those Fancy shoe pedal systems have to use a tighter fitting shoe so your foot wont pull out of the shoe..

But this is a Sport Bike not a International touring thread any how ..

spend generously the economy depends on You.

Old 11-16-16, 12:10 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I like the look. Nice conversion. RE: pedals...I won't worry too much. Not many are going to notice as you are cycling along anyways. You can always find a sportier platform type later if you desire. I tried clipless, but my back and uneven legs made it too painful, so I use platforms too.
Old 11-16-16, 12:19 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I use toe clips too

Originally Posted by fietsbob
But that is because you just read it..
After 30 odd years of riding on tour I preferred Toe clips, again, because The shoes I use with them fit best and are not too tight.
I use toe clips on the bike I most often ride in town because I want to have a pair of shoes I can walk in. The shoes I wear were designed for toe clips and I got them back in the 1980s when everyone had toe clips. Most comfortable pair of shoes I own. Find a shoe with a smooth bottom and leather over the toes.
Old 11-16-16, 02:56 PM
coominya

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I've read that toe clips + straps are the worst pedal retention system available. That's just what I've read. I've never actually rode a bike with them installed.
I think you meant to say "foot retention system"
As far as I know there are only two, clipless and toe-clips. So out of the two they are the least effective. But having said that I suggested to OP to use them loose, not with the straps tightened as is customary. Having them loose means your foot can easily slip out rearwards but still gives you the benefit of the cage all around the front of your foot. My son rides this way, it gives him a feeling of security without the feeling of being trapped.
Old 11-16-16, 05:22 PM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Nice bike.
Old 11-17-16, 01:31 PM
therealjoeblow

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 1 | 2002 Giant Sedona LX | 1980s Norco Monterey SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you meant to say "foot retention system"
As far as I know there are only two, clipless and toe-clips. So out of the two they are the least effective. But having said that I suggested to OP to use them loose, not with the straps tightened as is customary. Having them loose means your foot can easily slip out rearwards but still gives you the benefit of the cage all around the front of your foot. My son rides this way, it gives him a feeling of security without the feeling of being trapped.
+1 on that.

I've been using basic resin/nylon toe clips with alloy/steel cage pedals for 25+ years exactly as @coominy describes. Straps are set fairly snug to my shoes but *not* tight. I can pedal fast on seriously bumpy roads without ever falling off the pedals, get the full benefit of "pull-up" strokes for sprints, and can get in and out of them in an instant... all in my favorite everyday athletic shoes, sneakers, hikers, whatever I choose to wear.

I love the resin clip, they're best of both worlds if you ask me. I have them on all of my bikes.

If you go that route, just make sure you get good "rigid" ones made of a nice polymer with some reinforcing ridges to stiffen them up a bit. MEC here in Canada sells some Wellgo ones that are NOT of this calibre, they are thin plastic with no reinforcing and are extremely flexible and flimsy. I tried them and felt like they were going to snap on every pedal stroke.

I recently picked up these ones for my new bike:

VP-792 - VP Components

They are really nice and rigid, made out of unbreakable nylon with virtually no flex where they meet the pedal and along the base.

They are sold locally under various "no-name" brands, I got them in my LBS as "49N" brand in a blue package for <$10.

Cheers
TRJB

PS. @finch204... that's an *awesome* bike conversion. Looks really nice!

Last edited by therealjoeblow; 11-17-16 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-18-16, 12:55 PM
finch204

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes I meant to say "foot retention system", my apologies. Seems like there are more happy users of toe clips than I thought. I appreciate everyone's feedback on the toe clip option. It is definitely something I will consider in the future.
Old 11-18-16, 05:38 PM
coominya

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Yes I meant to say "foot retention system", my apologies. Seems like there are more happy users of toe clips than I thought. I appreciate everyone's feedback on the toe clip option. It is definitely something I will consider in the future.
It's a real psychological barrier, and that's all it is. Hardly anyone that switches to them goes back and it's the same with clipless. It took me 5 years to get the (courage?) to switch from toeclips to the shimano SPD system for MTB's. Having used them for some months now I couldn't imagine going back, not for the road riding I do anyway.

We do a lot of odd things as humans based solely on feelings and impressions rather than logic. Often it's pure prejudice. Prejudice I hear you say? Yes, definitely. The definition of which is:

a preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience
Old 01-03-17, 02:58 AM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Your bars may be too low. Install a stem riser and that should get them up to the correct level.

I ride a 54 cm bike with North Roads bar so its a natural fit for me.
Old 01-03-17, 08:37 AM
finch204

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NormanF
Your bars may be too low. Install a stem riser and that should get them up to the correct level.

I ride a 54 cm bike with North Roads bar so its a natural fit for me.
If you're talking about the drop bars being too low before the conversion, I'm past that now. I am quite comfortable with the flat bar setup.

I think the North Roads bar would look a little out place on a Madone frame, but I can see it working on a Diverge or Domane ALR frame.
Old 01-04-17, 06:38 PM
hefeweizen

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Looks good.
Old 01-30-17, 07:32 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Nice looking setup there.

I just converted over my CrossRip to flatbar as I typically just commuted on it anyway and was looking to move to a single speed, but decided to go 1x setup. Went with a mix of XT and SLX components and upgrade the brakes to liquid disc versus the cable TRP HyRd's I had on it. I kept my 105 crank and put a Wolf Tooth 42 tooth front ring on, and 11-42 11 speed rear cassette. Nice spread of gears and still allows me to have some speed on the flats while giving me the ability to climb any bridges around here when fully loaded with ease. We have no hills\mountains in NE Florida. I was able to keep my existing wheel, put some 32 Gatorskins on and got an awesome deal on a carbon bar. Overkill.....sure, but what the hell, you only live once. As you see it, 22.8 lbs, can not complain about that.

Had 1 ride of any distance on it so far, but I really like the feel of the ride.
Attached Images
TrekCrossRipFlatBar.jpg (95.2 KB, 199 views)

Old 04-19-19, 12:59 PM
finch204

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Nice looking setup there.

I just converted over my CrossRip to flatbar as I typically just commuted on it anyway and was looking to move to a single speed, but decided to go 1x setup. Went with a mix of XT and SLX components and upgrade the brakes to liquid disc versus the cable TRP HyRd's I had on it. I kept my 105 crank and put a Wolf Tooth 42 tooth front ring on, and 11-42 11 speed rear cassette. Nice spread of gears and still allows me to have some speed on the flats while giving me the ability to climb any bridges around here when fully loaded with ease. We have no hills\mountains in NE Florida. I was able to keep my existing wheel, put some 32 Gatorskins on and got an awesome deal on a carbon bar. Overkill.....sure, but what the hell, you only live once. As you see it, 22.8 lbs, can not complain about that.

Had 1 ride of any distance on it so far, but I really like the feel of the ride.
Wow totally missed this one. That is a great looking bike after the conversion!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.