Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

*Negative* Effects of Loosing Weight

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

*Negative* Effects of Loosing Weight

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-18, 12:31 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingbill
I'm not sure it can.

I took a year to drop the ~150lbs in 1996. That was a 5000mile year and they were hard miles.

1997-1999 were 8000mile years and I was competing in time trials (did a 31:05 20km in 1999).

I still believe, based on food diaries etc. and my doctor at the time (Bariatric Physician of some note: Ken Fujioka (oft quoted in the media) came up with the 500 calorie deficit measurement.

Now this may have to do with my low resting HR ... not sure.

The good news? I can ride distance without having to eat much.
Sadly, this may be true. Before my first big weight loss at the age of 14, I ate a lot for a kid. As a result, I was about 30 to 40 lbs overweight. (almost 190 lbs and only 5'5" at the time, busting out of my 34" waist jeans) Using a combination of bike riding, martial arts training, and adopting my Mom's weight watcher's diet, I dropped close to 40 lbs in exactly 10 weeks. So the day I went back to school, I was down to 152 and down to a 30" waist jeans. I know this because it was over my summer break, and I weighed myself the day summer break started, and again the day I went back to school. I continued the martial arts and bike riding and mostly kept the weight off for about 2 years before the weight started to come back on, maybe not coincidentally around the time I started to lose interest in martial arts and stopped cycling because I had my drivers licence by then. But the day I graduated high school, I was 5'9" and about 195. Still not bad, given where I was 3 years earlier.

Fast forward another 4 years to senior year of college. I am up to 235 lbs. On a bet with a college friend, I go on a weight loss program based on a book I read by Jane Brody. I counted calories, eliminated most sugar, but ate plenty of fruit and whole grains, moderate protein, low fat. This time, I lost 50 lbs in 4 months. So it took me longer, but I lost more weight. Sadly, I didn't keep it off and went all the way back to 230 in less than 2 years. So I go on the same diet, same 4 months, only this time, I only lose 30 lbs in 5 months before it tapers off.

Fast forward to 2004. This time, my weight is all the way up to 275. So I go back on the program, this time for 8 months, and lost 50 lbs. Actually kept it off for 4 years before the weight came back on, but I had to work out 5 days a week, and monitor everything I ate. And even at that, I still only got down to 220, or just 15 lbs less than what I was when I was pigging out on college cafeteria food, late night pizza, and beer.

So now I am once again watching my calories, trying to do it gradually. Ramping up the workouts, including martial arts once again. But 3 months in, I am only down 10 lbs. So I think there is something to the slowing metabolism theory.
Old 05-24-18, 06:14 PM
bikingbill

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Brompton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MRT2
Sadly, this may be true. Before my first big weight loss at the age of 14, I ate a lot for a kid. As a result, I was about 30 to 40 lbs overweight. (almost 190 lbs and only 5'5" at the time, busting out of my 34" waist jeans) Using a combination of bike riding, martial arts training, and adopting my Mom's weight watcher's diet, I dropped close to 40 lbs in exactly 10 weeks. So the day I went back to school, I was down to 152 and down to a 30" waist jeans. I know this because it was over my summer break, and I weighed myself the day summer break started, and again the day I went back to school. I continued the martial arts and bike riding and mostly kept the weight off for about 2 years before the weight started to come back on, maybe not coincidentally around the time I started to lose interest in martial arts and stopped cycling because I had my drivers licence by then. But the day I graduated high school, I was 5'9" and about 195. Still not bad, given where I was 3 years earlier.

Fast forward another 4 years to senior year of college. I am up to 235 lbs. On a bet with a college friend, I go on a weight loss program based on a book I read by Jane Brody. I counted calories, eliminated most sugar, but ate plenty of fruit and whole grains, moderate protein, low fat. This time, I lost 50 lbs in 4 months. So it took me longer, but I lost more weight. Sadly, I didn't keep it off and went all the way back to 230 in less than 2 years. So I go on the same diet, same 4 months, only this time, I only lose 30 lbs in 5 months before it tapers off.

Fast forward to 2004. This time, my weight is all the way up to 275. So I go back on the program, this time for 8 months, and lost 50 lbs. Actually kept it off for 4 years before the weight came back on, but I had to work out 5 days a week, and monitor everything I ate. And even at that, I still only got down to 220, or just 15 lbs less than what I was when I was pigging out on college cafeteria food, late night pizza, and beer.

So now I am once again watching my calories, trying to do it gradually. Ramping up the workouts, including martial arts once again. But 3 months in, I am only down 10 lbs. So I think there is something to the slowing metabolism theory.
Of all the achievements in my life, keeping almost all of the (close to 150lbs) 1996 weight loss off for 22 years is by far the most unlikely. It is a DAILY struggle.
Old 05-24-18, 11:02 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes it is.

It's why I weight myself each morning and night. If I see a pattern of increasing weigjt I nip it in the bud.

Of all the achievements in my life, keeping almost all of the (close to 150lbs) 1996 weight loss off for 22 years is by far the most unlikely. It is a DAILY struggle.
Old 05-25-18, 12:42 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I, too, weigh daily, and I can see the results of indulging the day before.
Old 05-25-18, 01:59 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
New negative:

I realized my wedding ring fits too loosely, I've been wearing it since 198..3? (About five years ago it was too tight.) I think it might fly off if I swing my arms around...yikes.

Also, my suits are baggy. Suits are expensive to replace or alter correctly, I guess I'll just buy thick underwear.
Old 05-25-18, 02:55 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Jewelers can re-size rings. That might be worth the price.

I'm glad I don't have a life where I have to wear suits! And I like baggy T-shirts, so at my peak of ~255 XL shirts were getting snug, now down to the 220s they're feeling much better, and if I actually make it down to 200 I'll still be able to wear them. Wearing a lot more belts nowadays though...
Old 05-25-18, 03:01 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
New negative:

I realized my wedding ring fits too loosely, I've been wearing it since 198..3? (About five years ago it was too tight.) I think it might fly off if I swing my arms around...yikes.

Also, my suits are baggy. Suits are expensive to replace or alter correctly, I guess I'll just buy thick underwear.
Next time you have a special occasion, reward yourself and buy a new suit. You earned it. I still have some suits from when I was thinner. Hoping by the fall I will fit into them.
Old 05-25-18, 03:12 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

lol maybe FrenchFit (I like that handle by the way), but I would never 'reward' myself with a new clothes-prison.

My idea of rewarding myself is usually in the form of food (which, obviously, is part of the problem). Or bike stuff.
Old 05-26-18, 01:00 PM
bikingbill

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MRT2
Next time you have a special occasion, reward yourself and buy a new suit. You earned it. I still have some suits from when I was thinner. Hoping by the fall I will fit into them.
in 1997, as a reward, I spent $1000 on a suit.
Old 05-26-18, 02:04 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts

1997 or 2007?
Old 05-26-18, 04:01 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I travel a lot for work and go out 3-4 times a week with clients and co-workers. Too many years of that got me up to around 220, so I made some big lifestyle changes to get back down to my college weight of around 160. The two biggest changes besides a more healthy diet are that I exercise almost every day and I don't drink alcohol anymore. The combination of these two things have made it so that I don't enjoy myself nearly as much as I used to going out with clients and co-workers. It's not that much fun staying out late with people who are drinking and having a good time when I'm drinking club soda, so now I leave early so I can get up in the morning and exercise. I like riding my bike and I like being fit, but I do miss staying out late drinking beer and eating bar food. I'm not sure if that's a negative effect as much as a lifestyle choice. Everything's a trade-off.
Old 05-26-18, 07:32 PM
bikingbill

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
1997 or 2007?
same suit but 2007.
Old 05-27-18, 12:11 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

In 1997, as a reward, I spent $1000 on a suit.
1. I think you spelled it wrong. It's not s u i t it's s l u t. Easy mistake
2. Looks like you got two
3. $1000 is a steal
Old 05-29-18, 12:51 PM
Milton Keynes

It took me about an hour, but I did finally find the suit in that picture.
Old 05-29-18, 01:45 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I, too, weigh daily, and I can see the results of indulging the day before.
I don't bother with daily weights anymore. I see my doctors 5 or 6 times a year and get weighed at each visit.
Old 05-29-18, 01:54 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I reward myself with clothing, bike clothing. after loosing some weight this year some of my jerseys and shorts are too baggy.
Old 05-29-18, 02:21 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
I stopped taking my statin weeks ago.

I started a lot of reading lately on health, diet, chronic disease - from Dr. Dale Bredesen, to Dr. Jason Fung, Gary Taubes, and many more. Many studies that show total cholesterol is not a marker for heart disease, as we were led to believe all of these decades, and in fact high cholesterol is actually linked to longevity / a decrease in mortality.

^ at 1:12:24 Q & A

APOE-4: The Clue to Why Low Fat Diet and Statins may Cause Alzheimer’s

APOE-4: The Clue to Why Low Fat Diet and Statinsmay Cause Alzheimer's 12-15-2009

Statins and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis 4-9-2018

Low Brain Cholesterol—Separating Fact from Fiction 9-17-2017

Patients with elevated triglyceride and cholesterol serum levels have a prolonged survival in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. 4-2011
Old 05-29-18, 04:17 PM
bikingbill

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well, when my Triglycerides were north of 340, I was nowhere near as sharp mentally as I am today ... and that was 32 years ago.
Old 05-29-18, 05:47 PM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not getting

You spent $1000 on whose suit?

this
Old 05-29-18, 06:29 PM
bikingbill

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by raria
You spent $1000 on whose suit?

this
This is a most awesome pic.

Back to the suit. I literally spent over $1k at Nordstorms in 1997 after I lost the weight. I figured it would be motivation to keep it off.

Oh, and my wife took that pic:

Old 05-29-18, 06:34 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Same event? Same suit? Same tie, same flipped-up right collar, same beer bottle held at same rotation in same hand, similar-looking dark-brown painted walls...

Just engaging in a little photographic forensics...
Old 05-29-18, 11:01 PM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two more photos would make this complete

Great wife!

Two more photios.
Your wife in the lingerie models outfits
The lingerie model in your wife's outfit.

You can display it as a four picture collage perhaps with the title "Dreams of a Modern Man". Symbolizing the American man's desire for everything
This is a most awesome pic.

Back to the suit. I literally spent over $1k at Nordstorms in 1997 after I lost the weight. I figured it would be motivation to keep it off.

Oh, and my wife took that pic:

Two more
Old 05-30-18, 02:25 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
Great wife!

Two more photios.
Your wife in the lingerie models outfits
The lingerie model in your wife's outfit.

You can display it as a four picture collage perhaps with the title "Dreams of a Modern Man". Symbolizing the American man's desire for everything

Two more
Except that's not the (every) American man's desire. Its just that conservative gentlemen don't discuss such things in public.
Old 05-30-18, 07:47 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by gios
I stopped taking my statin weeks ago.

I started a lot of reading lately on health, diet, chronic disease - from Dr. Dale Bredesen, to Dr. Jason Fung, Gary Taubes, and many more. Many studies that show total cholesterol is not a marker for heart disease, as we were led to believe all of these decades, and in fact high cholesterol is actually linked to longevity / a decrease in mortality.
I think what's more important is a good ratio of good to bad cholesterol. But cholesterol in your bloodstream is absolutely NOT affected by the amount of cholesterol in your diet. There are many studies which show this. You may be able to reduce your cholesterol by eating more vegetables, but it still mainly comes down to genetics.

Of course that doesn't mean I advocate eating greasy fast food all day long. A healthy diet is still important.
Old 05-30-18, 07:50 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by cyclist2000
I reward myself with clothing, bike clothing. after loosing some weight this year some of my jerseys and shorts are too baggy.
I finally made it into fitting a 1XL T-shirt. I still have a little ways to go but I'm happy that 1X shirts are comfortable on me now. I plan to get a couple of new jerseys soon as a reward.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.