Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

*Negative* Effects of Loosing Weight

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

*Negative* Effects of Loosing Weight

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 06:28 PM
bikingbill

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Brompton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Truth:

As early as 1969, research showed that losing just 3 percent of your body weight resulted in a 17 percent slowdown in your metabolism—a body-wide starvation response that blasts you with hunger hormones and drops your internal temperature until you rise back to your highest weight. Keeping weight off means fighting your body’s energy-regulation system and battling hunger all day, every day, for the rest of your life.

https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/...esity-is-wrong
Old 09-20-18, 06:47 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 2,533 Posts
I skimmed that article and it looks interesting. I'll have to go back and give it a more thorough read.
Old 09-20-18, 08:58 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I skimmed that article and it looks interesting. I'll have to go back and give it a more thorough read.
Well you give it a lot more credit than I did. I stopped reading when I got to the above nonsense. Since I already know that its not true the rest of the article lost all its read-worthiness.

One more thing, I never saw a fat person that didn't overeat. Second, if I put you on a desert island and fed you only a caloric limited health food diet you would lose weight.

One more thing, today I saw a mother feeding here overweight daughter a 14oz container of gummy bear ice cream. Is there any wonder why she's fat? All I could do was watch her eat those gummy bears and there was nothing I could say or do.

One more thing, doctors aren't nutritionist, they're medicine men. Stop getting nutrition advice from your doctor and go see someone trained and educated in the proper field of nutrition.

Last edited by KraneXL; 09-20-18 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-20-18, 10:07 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
The only downside for me is hitting the plateau.

I was at 100KG years ago, I find it difficult to get below 85KG.

75KG would be Ideal, but I enjoy food too much, especially on a cold winter day.
Old 09-20-18, 10:28 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingbill
Today Pic: Still dropping weight after the 'kickstart' of that flu a few months ago.

Is that your Ferrari?
Old 09-20-18, 10:32 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad

Don't waste your time.

Other than stating that "fat shaming" is counterproductive, which I believe is true, it pretty much infers that there is nothing obese people can do to lose large amounts of weight and maintain a "normal weight" on a long term basis.

I am really sorry I wasted 20 minutes reading that trash.
Old 09-21-18, 09:10 AM
Bigbandito
Circus bear

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute 2.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Don't know how many of you do it, but I've found using calorie tracker app (I use "LoseIt!") helps me lose weight. I typically very little during the week (breakfast of banana and coffee; lunch of carrots, almonds, and an apple; chicken breast and vegetables/salad for dinner) and then I can "splurge' a little on the weekends with a special lunch or dinner. I'm losing about 8-10 pounds per month with this (and I haven't even started riding my new bike yet)
Old 09-21-18, 09:27 AM
bikingbill

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Is that your Ferrari?
No, and I can prove it.

I know how to park a car.

THIS is my little red car:

Old 09-21-18, 09:31 AM
bikingbill

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Don't waste your time.

Other than stating that "fat shaming" is counterproductive, which I believe is true, it pretty much infers that there is nothing obese people can do to lose large amounts of weight and maintain a "normal weight" on a long term basis.

I am really sorry I wasted 20 minutes reading that trash.
I didn't come away from the article with that conclusion.

What I did come away with was acceptance of the lower metabolism I have to live with, the reality of being hungry, and the need to eat whole foods. If I ate 3000 calories a day instead of 1500 I'm doing now, I'd be just as hungry.

I also agree with their conclusion on how we got here in the first place.
Old 09-21-18, 01:34 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Bigbandito
Don't know how many of you do it, but I've found using calorie tracker app (I use "LoseIt!") helps me lose weight. I typically very little during the week (breakfast of banana and coffee; lunch of carrots, almonds, and an apple; chicken breast and vegetables/salad for dinner) and then I can "splurge' a little on the weekends with a special lunch or dinner. I'm losing about 8-10 pounds per month with this (and I haven't even started riding my new bike yet)
I always leave the weekend open for my culinary enjoyment. But only one day, and only one meal. My biggest weakness remains sugar (the cravings are never-ending), so to satisfy that I pick either Sat or Sun and have the dessert of my choice.

It not typically cake or ice cream, those are rare (once a year). Rather, I mostly just drink juices or have a double size coffee sweet. This week I'll probably add a corn muffin or two to the mix since I've been wanting to renew some of my old baking hobbies again. Stay tuned for the results in the "What's for dinner" thread.
Old 09-22-18, 02:26 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
My own data point comes from years ago when I was running significant distances. Dropping down 20lbs essentially zapped my "reserve gas tank" (stamina) and impeded my ability to recover. Was measurably quicker, though only out to certain distances. Couldn't maintain the pace beyond that, as the reserves had tanked. Getting back up to 20-25lbs heavier meant I lost a little bit of speed, but I could maintain that speed for two to three times the distance as compared to the lighter version of me.

In that case, I definitely found the lower limit of an effective performance weight for me, at least for running.

Can't say that I've noticed weight differences altered much in my cycling performance. By far the more important change for me has been injuries (pre- and post-), where obvious differences in power output and stamina existed.
Old 09-22-18, 05:24 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
My own data point comes from years ago when I was running significant distances. Dropping down 20lbs essentially zapped my "reserve gas tank" (stamina) and impeded my ability to recover. Was measurably quicker, though only out to certain distances. Couldn't maintain the pace beyond that, as the reserves had tanked. Getting back up to 20-25lbs heavier meant I lost a little bit of speed, but I could maintain that speed for two to three times the distance as compared to the lighter version of me.

In that case, I definitely found the lower limit of an effective performance weight for me, at least for running.

Can't say that I've noticed weight differences altered much in my cycling performance. By far the more important change for me has been injuries (pre- and post-), where obvious differences in power output and stamina existed.
You obviously loss more muscle than fat. Its not just the weight loss, but you must maintain the ratio for it to be of benefit.
Old 09-22-18, 11:25 PM
Clyde1820

Originally Posted by KraneXL
You obviously loss more muscle than fat. Its not just the weight loss, but you must maintain the ratio for it to be of benefit.
Yeah, in that case. Was doing heavy strength training at the time, too. But as a runner there wasn't much more to be lost, so the body started picking at what it had left. (Don't recall what my bodyfat numbers were down to, back then ... probably something in the single digits, and that was before the loss.)

Didn't seem to really affect my cycling, at the time. Other than the longer-range stamina. Could still do 40-50mi days without much trouble, which where common.

Good lesson, though. For me, at least. Having good reserves and significantly more strength was preferable to shaving that last 5% off on times. Better strength, health, recovery, stamina.
Old 09-23-18, 02:32 AM
KraneXL

Yeah, in that case. Was doing heavy strength training at the time, too. But as a runner there wasn't much more to be lost, so the body started picking at what it had left. (Don't recall what my bodyfat numbers were down to, back then ... probably something in the single digits, and that was before the loss.)

Didn't seem to really affect my cycling, at the time. Other than the longer-range stamina. Could still do 40-50mi days without much trouble, which where common.

Good lesson, though. For me, at least. Having good reserves and significantly more strength was preferable to shaving that last 5% off on times. Better strength, health, recovery, stamina.
Actually, strength training is the best way to prevent muscle loss when you lose weight. However, that is provided you're getting sufficient protein so that your body can maintain a positive nitrogen balance. The body will automatically default to utilizing its fast stores first, whenever you enter a caloric deficit.
Old 09-23-18, 08:35 AM
Clyde1820

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Actually, strength training is the best way to prevent muscle loss when you lose weight. However, that is provided you're getting sufficient protein so that your body can maintain a positive nitrogen balance. The body will automatically default to utilizing its fast stores first, whenever you enter a caloric deficit.
In my case, it was at a time when caloric consumption was well north of 5000 kcal/day, given the level of running and other activities. There was plenty of protein incorporated into that (beans, meats, dairy, nuts, seeds). Just not sufficient to maintain the high level of activity and demands. Was at a level where there were few reserves left (fairly low bodyfat). No way I could have consumed more, at the time. Instead, ratcheting back the training such that it became sustainable was the path chosen (working smarter, not harder). Ended up healthier, stronger, if not any faster, with more free time for other things.
Old 09-26-18, 03:04 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just my personal experience, these issues for me came when I was cutting to much weight, to fast, example is during high school/ college wrestling.