Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

Single speed class

Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Single speed class

Old 07-24-18, 07:48 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Single speed class

Does anyone race in the SS class? I was in 30+ MTB races in the 90's. I was looking to start up again but today there are actually very few races compared to my days in it. But CX is big here and at 50 years old a 30 minute race is perfect. I'm actually thinking about SS, I have my eye on a Raleigh RXS but I'm wondering how competitive it is compared to Masters 50+ CX5. Any opinions?
Old 07-24-18, 08:09 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Does anyone race in the SS class? I was in 30+ MTB races in the 90's. I was looking to start up again but today there are actually very few races compared to my days in it. But CX is big here and at 50 years old a 30 minute race is perfect. I'm actually thinking about SS, I have my eye on a Raleigh RXS but I'm wondering how competitive it is compared to Masters 50+ CX5. Any opinions?
This year will be my third season racing exclusively on a SS. How competitive it is compared to 50+ Masters field is really going to depend on who shows up to race but in many ways I'd say they're pretty comparable. Many Masters racers are just older fast guys (not the same thing as 50+ Cat5) and SSCX-ers seem to be faster guys in their mid-30's. My experience is that at a bigger events entering the SS class as a Cat5 racer is akin to jumping into the deep end of the pool. The pointy end of SSCX races are no joke and are usually won by Cat3's or higher in the races I've entered.
Old 07-24-18, 08:36 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Yeah, I don't know what to do. I can only compare myself to one of my riding buddies who road races in cat 4. We're pretty much equal but I can out sprint him. I don't expect to go out and start winning or anything but I do want to be somewhat competitive. It would be a buzz kill to get dropped by everyone right at the start.
Old 07-24-18, 08:54 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Yeah, I don't know what to do. I can only compare myself to one of my riding buddies who road races in cat 4. We're pretty much equal but I can out sprint him. I don't expect to go out and start winning or anything but I do want to be somewhat competitive. It would be a buzz kill to get dropped by everyone right at the start.
I'd say build the bike and Just Do It™. I race my category (4) on my SS (only bike I have) whenever there isn't a SS class and its not like it isn't fun I recommend an exact 2:1 gear ratio to start with and adjust accordingly.
Old 08-08-18, 12:11 PM
Porkchopwi

Bikes: Road, CX and mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Worst case, you can always take the SS to Cat. 5 and race it there (as noted in previous reply). Sure you won't have gears, but you won't be racing Cat. 1/2/3/4/5 guys (depending on how your cats are structured) who are 10-30 years younger than you either.
Old 08-08-18, 12:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I am willing to bet that if you doubled up and did both the SS race and the 50+Cat 5 race, you'd place higher in the latter even without gears.