Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How hot is too hot for you to ride?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How hot is too hot for you to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-19, 11:10 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I’ve rode in 95 degree temps with the max humidity possible at that temp. Those are few and far between, my summer riding starts as early as 5am.
Old 07-19-19, 11:12 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
@Skipjacks is 100% correct.

There are multiple heat related threads right now.

Northerners - Montreal, NYC, Ohio, Wisconsin - are complaining about nausea, not being able to complete rides, asking about temperature limits and so forth. Southerners - Florida, South Carolina, Texas - are responding that it is always hot so just ride, it isn't a big deal, just stay hydrated and you will be OK, etc.

Northerners are just not acclimated to the heat, that's all. Not an insult or bragging. Just an observation.

-Tim-
I see a lot of runners and cyclists here in SC complaining about the heat, but then I also see the same people avoiding the heat. You can't get acclimated if I you sit in the a/c all day and only run/ride when it's cool. The only way to acclimate is to suck it up and get out there in the heat. Usually only takes me a week or two when it first warms up and I'm good. But I make myself go out in the sun and heat, sometimes I'll go in the middle of the day on purpose. I work in an air conditioned office, but I'll usually drive with the windows down and the a/c off. Then I spend the rest of the summer enjoying the outdoors while watching people suffer and look miserable.

Originally Posted by LawSchweiin
Hi, I find humidity and dew point have just as much effect as temperature. I'm on the east coast of the US this week / weekend, and I will not be riding. High 90s and high humidity are too much to handle and I find regardless of water, I cannot cool off adequately. At some point the environment is too hot for your body to shed heat.
Dew point is probably the best indicator of conditions, because that will let you know when your sweat isn't going to evaporate and keep you cool. Anything above 70 is just gonna suck, so I drink a lot and know that I'm gonna be soaked. You also have to adjust your effort when the dew point is high. A lot of people get discouraged because they're not hitting the workouts the way they expect in the heat, but your body only knows effort, so the same effort, even if it results in a slower pace/speed, will still yield results.

Originally Posted by road292
Am I the only one who drinks plain water even in high heat (I'm in a suburb of NYC, so 95F+ this weekend)? I've found that the electrolyte drinks taste fine for the first few miles and then make my stomach hurt.
Just water for me for most rides up to 2-3 hours. If it's a long ride/event, then I'll eat, and maybe drink a lil gatorade at an aid station or store stop, but still mostly just plain water.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 07-19-19, 11:17 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
It’ll get to 96F tomorrow. Our regular group ride (~50 mi) heads out at 8, which is too late for me. I’ll probably head out at 6 for a solo ~70, aiming to get back around 10. It’ll still be hot by then, but not stupid hot
Old 07-19-19, 11:18 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I see a lot of runners and cyclists here in SC complaining about the heat, but then I also see the same people avoiding the heat. You can't get acclimated if I you sit in the a/c all day and only run/ride when it's cool. The only way to acclimate is to suck it up and get out there in the heat. ...
Yep. I'd say he was 90% correct not 100%, because I see a strong drop-off in the number of cyclists out when the temperatures rise.
Old 07-19-19, 12:24 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I can't remember who said, "Hot is 10 degrees warmer than you're used to." He was spot on, IME.

I can survive anything I've run into for an hour, up to 114F (with a dewpoint down in the 60s). Make a quick dash, run inside, cool off. If you're talking about all day rides, that's when I'm limited by how much heat I can shed and how much fluid I can absorb. In the 90s and low 100s, with typical 50-70% RH, I can sweat out twice as much as my stomach and gut can absorb (2 qts./hr vs. 1 qt./hr). Once I've lost 6 pounds or so, the riding gets progressively tougher.
Old 07-19-19, 12:31 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I'm sure I have a high temp limit, but humidity will do me in sooner. We rarely have more than six 90F days each year. Even those can be dealt with by riding earlier, but the humidity.. ugh!
Old 07-19-19, 01:52 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10151 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Dew point is probably the best indicator of conditions, because that will let you know when your sweat isn't going to evaporate and keep you cool.
Yep. Dew point temp is the critical parameter for hyperthermia, especially in athletes exposed to moving air.
Old 07-19-19, 02:06 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Pretty much anything over 100 degrees.
Old 07-19-19, 02:31 PM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Just got back in from a ride after work...98 here and the dew point 72. Nasty. I realized how useful my HRM is in these conditions. On a "normal" day I often go into zone 4 when riding along. Today when I looked down just cruising, feeling good, and I was in in zone 4 I told myself "Whoa there!" and backed it down 'till I was back in zone 3 and even 2. Staying in high zone 3 and low 4 for an extended time in these conditions will lead to bonking at the least, or heat exhaustion at the worst.
Old 07-19-19, 02:36 PM
sallen73

Bikes: 1988 Ross Centaur, 2010 Fuji Connoisseur, 2015 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2017 Raleigh Carlton, 1987 Team Miyata, 2012 Soma Stanyan, 2015 Cinelli Supercorsa, 1984 Miyata 1000, [2009 Scattante SSR], [1988 Falcon Competitor 105], [2016 Soma Wolverine]

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Commuting? No such thing as too hot; I just go slow(er), try and pick the shadiest routes through the city and make an effort to drain two water bottles between work and home (approx. 8 3/4 miles each way). As miserable as I could ever possibly get ti will still be a lot less miserable than being on the El. Which will invariable pull out of a station then stand for 15 minutes waiting for a train that broke down (or is the train that broke down).

Exercise? Don't care; I will make every effort to get out on a dawn patrol so I am limited only by myself and not traffic, crowds, other trail users, (you know, the world!). Alternately I will go out at or after sunset, but those rides tend to be shorter and slower.

Errands and Just Because rides? I usually start to think twice when the temps are in the upper 80's, especially if the sun is shining; once the temps hit the mid to upper 90's I leave the bikes parked.
Old 07-19-19, 02:38 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
It depends.

Humidity makes a big difference.

It also makes a difference whether I am riding the road or mountain biking. If it is really sunny and hot I prefer the woods to blacktop.

It also makes a difference how long the heat will last. If it is just a few days (like the current situation) I'll just wait it out. But after a few days I will get desperate to ride and just suck it up.
Old 07-19-19, 03:10 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Usually 100° or so, though I once did a "double century", 102 miles in 104°. 2010 Lighthouse Century.
Old 07-19-19, 03:20 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Everyone should read this...

Originally Posted by JasonD67
Just got back in from a ride after work...98 here and the dew point 72. Nasty. I realized how useful my HRM is in these conditions. On a "normal" day I often go into zone 4 when riding along. Today when I looked down just cruising, feeling good, and I was in in zone 4 I told myself "Whoa there!" and backed it down 'till I was back in zone 3 and even 2. Staying in high zone 3 and low 4 for an extended time in these conditions will lead to bonking at the least, or heat exhaustion at the worst.
Monitoring heart rate is a really good point.

Excellent post.

-Tim-
Old 07-19-19, 03:33 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
I rode near the lakefront in north Chicago burbs at noontime. 90 degrees, 70% humidity. Got to this point in Highland Park where there is almost always a cool breeze. Tried to convince myself I felt it.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 07-19-19, 06:17 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I rode today in 101F. I use my cooling vest from motorcycling over my jersey. I think in the future, I would use my cooling vest over my tshirt as it seems to keep me cooler that way and I don't have to refresh the vest with water. It makes sense. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...oaAqkmEALw_wcB The vest keeps my body temperature low.
Old 07-19-19, 06:33 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
It was about 95 F and maybe 75% humidity today on my ride home from work. It didn't really seem all that bad. I'm fairly acclimated to it. I didn't ride super fast, and it was only 4 miles plus a brief detour to Target on the way home.

I can expend less effort riding than walking, so that's possibly a factor. There were noticeable differences in conditions depending on whether I was going through greenspace or concrete jungle.
Old 07-20-19, 05:03 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I'm guessing over 50oC. I've ridden in 36oC and that was fine. In fact, it only became intrusive when I stopped. But then, I was cruising, occasionally riding with an ice cream, not trying to give myself a heart attack.
Old 07-20-19, 10:12 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts

It was a few degrees cooler down at the water today. The plan was to come home and feed the dog halfway through my ride. I was too hot when I got to the house. Changed my clothes and went to the ice cream place about a block away. Too hot to walk the dog even....
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 07-21-19, 12:58 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Hottest ride was last July, 111 F. And we had several days over 100. Rode anyway.

June is usually my month to acclimate. That's when the temperature can often go from cool and pleasant to hot without much transition. Sure enough, I was pretty exhausted after most rides of any length or duration in June. But by now I'm adapted.

But I don't push myself beyond my comfort zone. If I'm in a group ride and begin to feel like the heat is getting to me, I let 'em go. Either I catch up at a regroup point, or take a different route and head home. And I'll tend to start rides around 5 pm or later. It's still hot but cools off quickly as the sun goes down. I'm not a morning person, and even early morning long rides are getting hot by the end of the ride. When I start late, the weather gets cooler as I'm getting tired. Easier overall. Just demands a little more weight to carry lights.

Hydration seems like such a cliche, but I see so many folks doing it inefficiently. Main problem I've seen this year has been folks drinking plain water, or going overboard and taking salt tablets in addition to electrolytes. Occasionally they're taking less effective electrolytes.

To be effective it should be a balance of electrolytes and sugar. The sugar helps us absorb the fluids more readily. Plain water often causes bloating. Salt tablets make it worse -- it draws fluid out of the body and into the stomach.

Best stuff I've found is DripDrop. Comes in single serve Mylar packets, weatherproof and sweat proof. It's formulated to aid rapid absorption of water, as an alternative to IV fluids. I've given away a few packets this summer to cyclists who were on the verge of heat exhaustion, including one who passed out and vomited.

I've tried others -- Propel, NUUN, Hammer, several others -- but DripDrop is the best I've found so far. Nothing magical in it, but an optimal balance of ingredients.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-21-19, 04:58 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
When the neighbors along the way keep their dogs in the house.
Old 07-21-19, 05:57 AM
DHPflaumer

Bikes: Norther Klickitat Pass, Masi Giramondo 27.5, Soma Grand Randonneur

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 26 Posts
I generally stop doing fun rides when the weather breaks 100F. I will, however, still do my commute.
Old 07-21-19, 07:57 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3415 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Best stuff I've found is DripDrop. Comes in single serve Mylar packets, weatherproof and sweat proof. It's formulated to aid rapid absorption of water, as an alternative to IV fluids.
Thanks for recommending DripDrop. I had a nasty experience with hyponatremia (inadequate sodium) in a hot race before, so I’m going to try carrying some DripDrop in my saddle bag. Maybe it will keep me out of the ER.
Old 07-21-19, 02:06 PM
Spinay70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by moto367
With the heat wave approaching our area these next few days around here, with temps expecting high 90's with heat index reaching 110-113, when do you decide not to ride due to the temps? I normally don't have too much of an issue with heat but curious about others.
Ride when its comfortable to you. Unless you are a pro - then someone will tell you when to ride

Spinay70
Old 07-21-19, 02:38 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
I live in Albuquerque, have ridden in 100°, weather I couldn't have comfortably walked or run in, but I have to keep moving. Twice I have had bad falls, had to walk, which was torture. I stopped at a fast-food joint with unlimited soda pop and AC, sat down for a few hours, gotten my 99¢ worth. As soon as I get home, I over-heat terribly, take a cold shower as long as I can stand. Time spent fixing a flat is also terrible. I had to take breaks to walk to cool off.
Old 07-21-19, 05:13 PM
moto367

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been fortunate to have never too much of an issue with the heat. Acclimation has always been the key for me along with proper hydration. I asked the opening question mainly out of curiosity. The local news channels are making this heat wave out to the one of the ages. It kind of makes me chuckle. I think you really have to know your body and how it reacts to situations and being smart to know when to ease up and ride for another day. Good responses from all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.