Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Neuvation Wheel opinions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Neuvation Wheel opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-07, 08:57 AM
Pitbull

Bikes: None yet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neuvation Wheel opinions

Hello all -

I'm thinking about buying a new set of wheels - mine are notably underperforming when compared to my wife's wheels on her Fuji. I did some "spin" tests (spin the wheels at the same rate and see which spins more freely) and mine seem to be shot. Hers spun at least 3-4x longer (and faster) than mine did.

I've been seeing ads for some Neuvation wheels for under 300. The adds claim that they're hand built with blade spokes, strong, stiff, somewhat deep section etc. Are these a good deal or should I skip them?

While providing input, bear in mind that I'm a Clydesdale. I'm about 215-220 so I need something that can hold up to day-to-day riding. I don't race but am a "recreational" rider who rides ~2000 miles/season.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 04-02-07, 09:01 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Try doing a search. They had a lot of hub problems in the past but have great customer service...they will send you a new wheel over and over until they get lucky and one doesn't break. New hubs this year so who knows if they are better...you going to be the one to find out?

Not me.
Old 04-02-07, 09:01 AM
damocles1
The mods changed this...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had M28s, Aero 2s and SL2s. All were great wheels. No issues and John @ Neuvation is a good guy and stands behind his product. @220, I'd suggest you get the new M28 wheels. They are bulletproof and ride really well.
Old 04-02-07, 09:45 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had a set of R28 SL2s since Aug, I'm very happy with them.
Old 04-02-07, 10:01 AM
Coyote2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Try doing a search. They had a lot of hub problems in the past but have great customer service...they will send you a new wheel over and over until they get lucky and one doesn't break. New hubs this year so who knows if they are better...you going to be the one to find out?

Not me.

Yes, John will keep sending you new wheels ad infinitum, it seems...Or until you get tired of the old ones breaking. After I had the third catstrophic failure of the M28 aeros (and other smaller problems) I gave up and got a refund.

After my experience, I would not ride those wheels for free. And I weigh a lot less than you.
Old 04-02-07, 10:19 AM
JayC
Guadzilla

Bikes: Pinarello F4:13 W/Campy Reecord & Blue RC6 W/SRAM Force

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Wierd.. I didnt find any info about failures when I did a search on those wheels a while back. Maybe I didnt go back far enough.

John says the M28 Aero 2 is suitable for someone at 250#s so that that FWIW.
Old 04-02-07, 10:32 AM
efrobert
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm about 205lb right now and have no problems with the M28 Aeros.
Old 04-02-07, 10:43 AM
jonathanb715

Bikes: Kestrel Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got the M28 Aero2's mounted, so I guess I'll be the one to find out if the hub problems are a thing of the past. Did a 50 mile ride over some moderately rough roads, and no problems (but I'd be really, really pissed if there was a problem on the first ride). I got them because I got tired of truing the rear wheel on the Shimano 550's that came with my bike (it was out of true practically every other week over the last 2 months). The 550's will be my backup wheelset in case I do have trouble with the Neuvations.

As far as they way they feel - I honestly didn't notice that much of a difference between the Neuvations and the Shimanos, other than an absence of noise from the rear wheel when climbing with the Neuvations. FWIW, I weigh 190 and am riding 200+ miles per week, with lots of climbing and descending (and some of the roads are pretty rough).

JB
Old 04-02-07, 10:45 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Originally Posted by JayC
Wierd.. I didnt find any info about failures when I did a search on those wheels a while back. Maybe I didnt go back far enough.

Ravenmore had 2 rears blow up...he tore one rear hub apart (while riding) and had photos on here...I am suprised a search wouldn't find it.

But like I said Neuvation is great about replacing them so maybe it is worth a shot...if you get good wheels then great...if you have 2 or 3 fall apart and get sick of it then you have a new wheel to sell when you get it back so no huge deal.
Old 04-02-07, 10:47 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

JB,

If you can find a good wheelbuilder have them completely retension your Shimano. With a proper evenly tensioned build I bet they are a good wheel...but I have heard WAY too many issues with them out of the box.
Old 04-02-07, 10:54 AM
Coyote2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Yeah, maybe my wheels kept breaking because they are suitable for a 250-pounder, and I only weighed about 175-180.

Two broken rear spokes (renders wheel unridable) on one wheel before 2600 miles; second rear wheel had a hub explode at 1400 miles. Other small problems that were hassles rather than debilitating, but irritating nonetheless.

You want good wheels? Go to the Colorado Cyclist site and spec some customs and they'll ship them to you. Ultegra hubs, decent rims (Open Pro, DT RR1.1, or for extra strenght go CXP33), 14/15 gauge spokes in 32h 3x pattern. They'll cost about the same amount as the Neuvations, weigh about as much, and they will be reliable as hell. I mean, reliable as HELL.
Old 04-02-07, 11:22 AM
jonathanb715

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
JB,

If you can find a good wheelbuilder have them completely retension your Shimano. With a proper evenly tensioned build I bet they are a good wheel...but I have heard WAY too many issues with them out of the box.
Thanks - I'll give that a shot.

JB
Old 04-02-07, 11:31 AM
jonathanb715

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Look over on www.roadbikereview.com -lots of reviews, mostly positive, but lots of problems, too. The reviews are a mix of the original M28 Aero and the new version, which is supposed to have a stronger hub.

JB
Old 04-02-07, 12:48 PM
cerveloguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been on M28 Aeros for two years. Zero problems. Still perfectly true. Great wheels. I only weigh 150 lbs though.
Old 04-02-07, 12:56 PM
wrote4luck

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Six 13, 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride them, R28 Aero 2s. I had one faulty rear hub, John replaced with another, seems to be working ok now.
Old 04-02-07, 01:22 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Originally Posted by wrote4luck
I ride them, R28 Aero 2s. I had one faulty rear hub, John replaced with another, seems to be working ok now.
That is the new version right? So you had a bad hub wiht the new hubs?

This guy's amazing customer service is the only thing keeping customers coming in IMO.
Old 04-02-07, 01:37 PM
Tri JP
Dig it...

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Mitis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll chime in here...

I have the M28 aeros ("new & improved" hub...)

Love 'em. You can't get a better wheel for the price, and to be really honest, you'd have to spend a HELLUVA LOT to get a better wheel at all. They're just a nice combination of tough, light, and fast. Combine that with impeccable customer service and you've got a no-brainer!
Old 04-02-07, 02:22 PM
wrote4luck

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Six 13, 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The rims kick major butt, and are laced well. I've done twelve races on them so far this season and they are still perfectly true.
Old 04-02-07, 02:39 PM
Stray Cat
wussy

Bikes: Scott CR1, Trek 2200, Gary Fisher Tassajara, PedalForce ZX3 (coming)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After alot of research, a nice phone conversation with John, and a horribly untrue Bontrager Race front wheel in only 140 miles... I bit the bullet and ordered some m28 Aero 2s about an hour ago. I'll post some pics and a review when I get them later this week.

Couldn't beat the price and confidence John gives you about the wheels. Plenty of post to show he backs it up!
Old 04-02-07, 02:54 PM
BassoCoral
Metro DC Refugee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had R28 Aero 2's for about a year now. In the past I've built my own wheels but I decided to try these. The build on my pair was very well done and they've stayed true. I roll at about 165 pounds.

The cassette was under-greased and started squeaking early on. It's a very simple matter to pull the cassette body off and lube it up, which needs to be done to any hub from time to time. If the freewheel sound is really loud, that's a clear sign you've got an under-lubed situation.
Old 04-02-07, 03:45 PM
bigchris603
Pack Fodder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you seen the cupon in velo news? if you put in cupon code VELO at check out you get a discount on the R28 aero2 and the r28 sl3 you can get them both for $359 marked down from $499
Old 04-02-07, 04:34 PM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the R28SL2's, M28 Aeros and a set of R28SL3's. All with no problems racing fast crits and me at ~200 lbs.
Old 04-02-07, 04:49 PM
neurocycler
Me Likey Bikey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the R28 SL wheelset, I've put 3000 km + on them without an issue.
Old 04-02-07, 05:14 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
One other option is to order some Performance Titan wheels which are identical to the M28 Aero's except less expensive - $150. https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...TOKEN=44146396
Old 04-03-07, 07:25 AM
Coyote2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Stray Cat]After alot of research, a nice phone conversation with John, and a horribly untrue Bontrager Race front wheel in only 140 miles... I bit the bullet and ordered some m28 Aero 2s about an hour ago. I'll post some pics and a review when I get them later this week.QUOTE]

I'm sure your review will be positive. But better yet, go ride them for a few thousand miles and then post a review. You can tell us all about how quickly and wonderfully John Neugent replaced a wheel after it fell apart during your ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.