Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Stupid Is

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-11, 06:47 AM
ladyraestewart

Bikes: Trek Lexi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stupid Is

I've seen cyclists being their own worse enemies but yesterday morning took the prize for how many things one person could do wrong.

We had hellicious rains yesterday morning during rush hour - it wasn't just raining it was raining so hard it felt we were getting our annual rainfall all at once. Sitting at a traffic light I watched a man on a bike, approaching (1) riding the sidewalk; (2) riding against traffic; (3) riding off the curb to cross against the light (people to his left and right had a green turn arrow); (4) no lights on his bike (it was dark enough lights were required); and (5) he was wearing clothing that blended in more than stood out. The cyclist then ran right into a car that pulling forward to turn left.

Luckily no one was hurt and apparently no damage but there were so many way that entire situation could have gone so far south. Sometimes I think the stupid really do want to thin out the gene pool but get protected in spite of themselves.
Old 05-13-11, 06:53 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Calling another person stupid without knowing all the circumstances of the persons life is stupid.

Old 05-13-11, 07:31 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I cringe every time I see a cyclist ride in similar manner described by the OP, and I hope nothing becomes of it while on my watch, since I do not like to be one of the first persons on the scene if something goes awry.

Old 05-13-11, 07:51 AM
mnemia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see a number of garbage riders doing similar things every day (minus actually hitting the car). They'll rapidly switch from sidewalk to road, often swooping in front of cars in the process. It seems insane to me, almost like they have a death wish. I don't understand the mentality behind simultaneously being so afraid of cars that you prefer to ride on the sidewalk (and mind you, I often see them do this even on streets with nice, wide bike lanes) while also being so bold that you'll swerve right into their path.
Old 05-13-11, 07:57 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by ladyraestewart
Sometimes I think the stupid really do want to thin out the gene pool but get protected in spite of themselves.
Originally Posted by mnemia
I see a number of garbage riders doing similar things every day (minus actually hitting the car).
Feel better now, or are you already satisfied just knowing that you are superior to those cycling low-life you like to disparage?
Do you really feel superior to those cyclists unaware of your standards on the right way to sidewalk cycle or dress up for correct cycling?
Old 05-13-11, 08:06 AM
mnemia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Feel better now, or are you already satisfied just knowing that you are superior to those cycling low-life you like to disparage?
Do you really feel superior to those cyclists unaware of your standards on the right way to sidewalk cycle or dress up for correct cycling?
I don't care about how people dress, or what kind of bike they ride, or anything like that. For me, the ONLY thing that places them in the "garbage rider" category is the way they ride: namely, in the way I described. There IS an objectively right and wrong to ride when we're talking about public streets, and they are doing it wrong.
Old 05-13-11, 08:08 AM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm usually too busy paying attention to my own riding and surroundings to notice what other people are doing.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 05-13-11, 08:14 AM
oban_kobi

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Custom Vintage FG

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That sounds safe...
Old 05-13-11, 08:18 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by mnemia
I don't care about how people dress, or what kind of bike they ride, or anything like that. For me, the ONLY thing that places them in the "garbage rider" category is the way they ride: namely, in the way I described. There IS an objectively right and wrong to ride when we're talking about public streets, and they are doing it wrong.
You responsed to the OP with "I see a number of garbage riders doing similar things every day." She was smirking about seeing a "stupid" cyclist who among other things was guilty of riding the wrong direction on the sidewalk and didn't wear bright colored clothing. So which Good Book are you reading that defines the objective "right and wrong" on these "similar things?"
Old 05-13-11, 08:22 AM
mnemia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You responsed to the OP with "I see a number of garbage riders doing similar things every day." She was smirking about seeing a "stupid" cyclist who among other things was guilty of riding the wrong direction on the sidewalk and didn't wear bright colored clothing. So which Good Book are you reading that defines the objective "right and wrong" on these "similar things?"
I don't take responsibility for every word of other people's posts that I'm partially in agreement with. But I don't need any sort of "book" to tell me that it's stupid to rapidly transition from the sidewalk to the street without yielding ROW properly. The law is one objective standard that says that it's not correct behavior to do that.
Old 05-13-11, 08:31 AM
Elkhound

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The "good book" is the codes of city and state laws that say that bicycles are vehicles and are bound by the same rules of the road as other vehicles--that is, on the right side of two-way roads and in the mandated direction on one-way ones. The law in most--if not all--states says that bicycles ridden at night or in other low-vision situations must have lights. The law in many cities forbids bicycles on sidewalks.

As to why we should obey the law, a clever old Greek explained it a very long time ago; I'll refer you to him.
Old 05-13-11, 10:08 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 943 Posts
She was smirking about seeing a "stupid" cyclist who among other things was guilty of riding the wrong direction on the sidewalk and didn't wear bright colored clothing.
Those "other things" that you decline to mention are kind of crucial to the story

So which Good Book are you reading that defines the objective "right and wrong" on these "similar things?"
On what weird planet does the entire string of actions that this one "stupid" cyclist took make any sense?

=============

Wearing a helmet into a coffee shop, or anywhere else in public when off the bike, is incredibly dorky, whether blinkies are attached or not. Blinking lights and mirrors on such clueless pedestrians' helmets do peg the dorko meter.
I admit it; all helmeted adult cyclists look dorky. Correct positioning of straps does not make a difference on the Dorko-meter.
Cranky hypocrite.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-13-11 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-13-11, 10:19 AM
zac

Bikes: I just ride them, they own me.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen cyclists being their own worse enemies but yesterday morning took the prize for how many things one person could do wrong.

We had hellicious rains yesterday morning during rush hour - it wasn't just raining it was raining so hard it felt we were getting our annual rainfall all at once. Sitting at a traffic light I watched a man on a bike, approaching (1) riding the sidewalk; (2) riding against traffic; (3) riding off the curb to cross against the light (people to his left and right had a green turn arrow); (4) no lights on his bike (it was dark enough lights were required); and (5) he was wearing clothing that blended in more than stood out. The cyclist then ran right into a car that pulling forward to turn left.

Luckily no one was hurt and apparently no damage but there were so many way that entire situation could have gone so far south. Sometimes I think the stupid really do want to thin out the gene pool but get protected in spite of themselves.
What the heck your point?

Is A&S going to be filled up with junk posts about seemingly irrelevant matters about people who never visit or read these forums?

Hammer Nutrition 15% Referral Discount
MassBike.org - Same Road, Same Rules

Last edited by zac; 05-13-11 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-13-11, 10:25 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Cycling must be a utopia with rainbows and unicorns, if the bike advocates have nothing better to do than talk about how stupid people on bikes are.
Old 05-13-11, 10:28 AM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Cycling must be a utopia with rainbows and unicorns, if the bike advocates have nothing better to do than talk about how stupid people on bikes are.
I don't know about you, but today I shared a bike lane with a unicorn.
Old 05-13-11, 10:33 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by zac
What the heck your point?

Is A&S going to be filled up with junk posts about seemingly irrelevant matters now?
There does seem a run on holier-than-thou Serious Cyclists posters oozing contempt for those cyclists not as blessed as themselves. Posters who seem to have the view that their derogatory/or cutesy labeling and name calling of the other cyclists advances bicycling advocacy and/or safety.

Seems that these self appointed legal scholars and self righteous posters are for more interested that other cyclists strictly comply with both the letter of the law and imaginary "laws" (i.e. bright clothing, "correct" direction of travel for sidewalk cycling, and broad brush declarations of the legality/risk of sidewalk cycling) than anybody else, including the officers of the law.
Old 05-13-11, 10:38 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by mikeybikes
I suspect you are more likely to share a bike lane with a unicorn, than some of the A&S posters who post about "stupid" cyclists observed and analyzed while the poster was driving about town or cycling in the only correct manner for a bicycle "driver."
Old 05-13-11, 10:57 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeybikes
I hate when that happens. Stupid unicorn should have been in the unicorn lane.
Old 05-13-11, 11:05 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
This thread hit the dirt in a hurry.
Except for the unicorn part, they're pretty.
Old 05-13-11, 11:08 AM
zac

Bikes: I just ride them, they own me.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
This thread hit the dirt in a hurry.
Except for the unicorn part, they're pretty.
But what if they're wearing a lycra skinsuit?

Hammer Nutrition 15% Referral Discount
MassBike.org - Same Road, Same Rules
Old 05-13-11, 11:25 AM
ladyraestewart

Bikes: Trek Lexi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was no smirking nor feeling of superiority on my part, in spite of what anyone might think to the contrary. Nor do I feel someone is beneath me because they are not wearing clothing for "correct cycling." HOWEVER, this guy did five stupid things and three illegal things (unfortunately in Austin it is legal to ride on the sidewalks except in a section of downtown and that's not where this occurred) so yes, that makes him stupid. He was not smart enough to use common sense and not smart enough to learn the law or does not care to obey the law -- all really stupid things and when you do really stupid things that makes you stupid.

As for his clothing, when you know visibility is significantly diminished due to weather, you don't wear something dark to blend in. You need to use some common sense so it's not about having proper cycling gear it's about common sense. Hell I ride in a tee shirt and pair of leggings. I don't even own cycling clothing.

There are more situations than most of us want to accept where people do stupid things not only to their detriment but to the detriment of society as a whole. As a result, keep trying to protect stupid and the end result is we are dumbing down our world and that scares me. So if I get annoyed at the stupid, well there you go. If I feel sometimes the correct result is that the stupid acts results in self-correcting solutions, i.e., the gene pool is reduced, yes I do without regret. I'm not saying I haven't done something stupid myself because I most certainly have and some real humdingers but I learned or learned from watching someone else be stupid. I also don't expect government nor society in general to "bail me out either" or continue to protect me from myself either at the expense of the majority. Sometimes we just have to realize stupidity should be painful for the stupid.

Quite honestly too, if I am too stupid to realize hey it's raining hard out there and dark and since I am going to ride my bike, I should wear something to make myself more visible and do other things that make me safer, and I don't -- well it sucks to be me and yes, I am stupid!
Old 05-13-11, 04:31 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
I hate when that happens. Stupid unicorn should have been in the unicorn lane.
But did its rider have a bag to pick up its poop? I hate those scofflaw unicorn owners who don't clean up after their animal!
Old 05-13-11, 04:38 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
But did its rider have a bag to pick up its poop? I hate those scofflaw unicorn owners who don't clean up after their animal!
The unicorns I see around here have no riders. They move on their own. They of course do not care where their poop may fall.
Old 05-13-11, 04:41 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
well it sucks to be me and yes, I am stupid!
Thanks for clarifying that.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-13-11, 04:45 PM
Johnny Rebel

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Castro Valley, 1985 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There does seem a run on holier-than-thou Serious Cyclists posters oozing contempt for those cyclists not as blessed as themselves. Posters who seem to have the view that their derogatory/or cutesy labeling and name calling of the other cyclists advances bicycling advocacy and/or safety.

Seems that these self appointed legal scholars and self righteous posters are for more interested that other cyclists strictly comply with both the letter of the law and imaginary "laws" (i.e. bright clothing, "correct" direction of travel for sidewalk cycling, and broad brush declarations of the legality/risk of sidewalk cycling) than anybody else, including the officers of the law.
Uhhhh, are you just picking a fight for no reason or did you draw the short straw in some bizarre "devil's advocate for a day" contest?

So, with minimal visibility the guy is 1) riding against traffic 2) on the sidewalk 3) switching from sidewalk to the road willy-nilly while crossing intersections and 4) not using lights or wearing anything to make him more visible. By all means, let's stand up for this guy! OK, you object to the word "stupid" -- fine, I get it. If that's what bugs you, how about calling him "objectively clueless," "undeniably death-wishy," or "without a doubt lacking in common sense" instead? Feel better now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.