Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

My rookie experience with seats and shorts

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-10, 05:21 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

5'8" 237 I keep posting that so no one mistakes me for a big athletic Clyde. I've had my new Trek 2.3 for three days now and I reached my limit on the seat. I adjusted rode and adjusted (about 30 miles worth) until I could not get it any better. For me, waiting X number of rides or miles meant doing the same painful thing more. Convinced that the stock seat and I were done, I went down to the LBS for help.

They loaned me a seat that looked and felt scarily similar to the torture device on my bike. At home I rode a couple of minutes on the stock seat as a base line, and as quickly as possible I swapped over to the new seat and rode the same route. Wow! Instantly the pain was substantially diminished. I can easily ride my daily commute of 11 miles round trip like this. I'm sure time will make it even better.

I also picked up a pair of bib cycling shorts as I was so worried about the seat discomfort. Off I went for ride 3 this time with new seat and shorts. The new seat is so comfortable the shorts just added more cushion to an already good situation. I think I'll only need them on rides much longer than my short commute. I did notice the shorts kept body part positioned so that each up stroke of a leg was no longer done in fear. With the shorts on, pedaling down in the horns was easy and comfortable.

Don't get discouraged over discomfort with your stock seat. The after market seats make a big difference even though they look and feel similar to the stock seat!
Old 09-23-10, 07:32 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So tell us what the new saddle is. You gotta know people here are curious.
Old 09-23-10, 07:46 PM
engstrom
Getting a clue

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 4.7, Diamondback Wildwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I picked up my Trek 4.7 at the very end of July I swore after the first ride that I was going to remove the stock seat, set it on fire, put it in an industrial shredder, set those pieces on fire again, and finally launch it into space. I was in so much pain after a 16 mile ride even with my PI shorts due to the saddle and chafing. Well, long story short I've put 370 miles on the stock saddle with the longest ride being 30 miles. It's still not great but at least I can live with it. I have a feeling that when I work up to 50+ mile rides I'll want a better saddle but at least I now know how to HTFU.
Old 09-23-10, 07:56 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by engstrom
When I picked up my Trek 4.7 at the very end of July I swore after the first ride that I was going to remove the stock seat, set it on fire, put it in an industrial shredder, set those pieces on fire again, and finally launch it into space. I was in so much pain after a 16 mile ride even with my PI shorts due to the saddle and chafing. Well, long story short I've put 370 miles on the stock saddle with the longest ride being 30 miles. It's still not great but at least I can live with it. I have a feeling that when I work up to 50+ mile rides I'll want a better saddle but at least I now know how to HTFU.
I have here 3 saddles, they are rated 10km, 20km, 40km, this is based on how long my butt can put up with them. The 40km saddle is on the mountain bike, I don't really want to move it, because I know it will not be comfortable on the road bike, due to the shape of the horn. The 10km saddle, came with the road bike, man I want to take that saddle and drop it into a barrel of jet fuel, then fish it out, set fire to it, drop it into the barrel of a loaded cannon at Fort York, and then fire that sucker towards Rochester, NY I'm guessing with the weight it should clear the island nicely, but only make it half way across the lake. The 20km saddle is one we spent a lot of money on for the Missus' bike, she didn't like it, I can see why... Can't afford a good one, so it remains.
Old 09-25-10, 05:23 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
So tell us what the new saddle is. You gotta know people here are curious.
It's a Serfas Vistose (can't read the second word even with reading glasses). I didn't originally post the brand because I randomly picked it from 3 loaners the LBS had.

I have an update. My longest ride in my short biking career was 22 miles. Today I went 45 and I feel great. No rear end discomfort at all. This was with the new seat and padded cycling shorts. I suspect I'm just an easy fit for a decent seat and just needed to ditch the stock one. If it's truly the brand then I'm very lucky to have stumbled on it by chance. Needless to say, I'm not giving the seat back not even for an exact copy that is new. My LBS can charge me whatever they want
Old 09-25-10, 05:33 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I searched and it must be a Serfas Vistoso (not Vistose) geez they need to make that label bigger. It's about $56 . I don't know if that is expensive for a seat or not. Doesn't matter I'm keeping it.
Old 09-25-10, 05:42 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bbeasley
I searched and it must be a Serfas Vistoso (not Vistose) geez they need to make that label bigger. It's about $56 . I don't know if that is expensive for a seat or not. Doesn't matter I'm keeping it.
It's not that expensive, but don't confuse cost with comfort. One of the guys in my long-distance club wears $40 house brand shorts from Performance Bike for 600km rides. Wear/use what's comfortable to you.
Old 09-25-10, 06:59 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bbeasley
There are saddles that cost $300 that feel like a sharp pointy stick after 2 seconds, there are $30 saddles that virtually disappear that you can ride on for 2 days straight and they don't offer any discomfort. If you find one, buy at least 3 more, because you know one thing, you find a good comfortable saddle, they will do one of two things:

1) discontinue it
2) redesign it so that it's no longer comfortable.

One other thing, a saddle that works on one bike, may not work on another...
Old 09-25-10, 07:26 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
1) discontinue it
Selle Italia Turbomatic

Again, Turbomatic: Brought back as the "Team" issue with a redesigned rear profile. And CF rails.
Old 09-26-10, 04:32 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There are saddles that cost $300 that feel like a sharp pointy stick after 2 seconds, there are $30 saddles that virtually disappear that you can ride on for 2 days straight and they don't offer any discomfort. If you find one, buy at least 3 more, because you know one thing, you find a good comfortable saddle, they will do one of two things:

1) discontinue it

One other thing, a saddle that works on one bike, may not work on another...
All of that is absolutely true. In the 35 years I've been riding, there have only been two saddle lines that have enjoyed any sort of longevity that I know of - Brooks, of course, and the old Selle Italia Turbo - the one that was the Hinault-signature model for a while.

It reminds me a little of an article I read many years ago about bike team sponsorships. From the moment a new sponsor comes on board, there's only one thing you know will happen for sure - sooner or later they'll leave.