Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

This is interesting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

This is interesting

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-10, 01:57 PM
Silverexpress

Bikes: Commuter(s), MTB(s), bent(s), folder(s) and a road.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is interesting...Coyotes on the rise in Suburban Detroit

I do most of my riding in the spring thru fall months, and mostly in urban areas. Occasionally, I like to hit the trails. So what do you do when a coyote attacks? Is it like a dog attack?

I figure it would be a different attack since a dog's aim is to protect it's territory; on the otherhand, a coyote goes after you cuz it wants to eat you.

Regards,

Jose

Grosse Pointe Shores -- It was around 11 p.m. and Kathy Rinaldi had just let her Havanese, Lola, out for the last time that night.

The dog let out a howl so violent it was more like a scream, Rinaldi said. She ran to the door and locked eyes with a coyote that had just attacked her 13-pound dog standing near the side door of her home on Belle Meade.

"I yelled at it and he just stood there for quite a while," Rinaldi said, recalling the Dec. 17 standoff. "He really wasn't afraid of me."

It's that boldness that has law enforcement throughout the Grosse Pointes worried. Coyotes are a particular problem in the Pointes, and debate is on the rise over the best way to deal with them now that police have shot and killed two coyotes in recent months.

As recently as Friday morning, an officer was spotted with a rifle near Lake Shore Drive, firing unsuccessfully at a coyote on the ice on Lake St. Clair.

Reports of coyotes are growing from communities throughout southeastern Michigan, according to the Department of Natural Resources. They have been spotted everywhere from Grosse Ile to Westland to Bloomfield Township, which offers coyote safety tips on its Web site.

Last year, Bloomfield Hills gave its officers silencer-equipped rifles with scopes to respond to residents' complaints about coyote attacks on pets.

But the issue has taken on special urgency in the Pointes now that officers there have been given the "green light" to go after them -- with some success. Letters to the editor in the local newspaper reflect a divide in the community over whether to shoot them, trap and relocate them, or simply let residents and wildlife coexist.

It's open season

Rinaldi's dog, Lola, wasn't so lucky during her face-off with a coyote. She suffered six puncture wounds. Rinaldi had to take her to an emergency veterinarian.

"My $300 dog is up to $900 with all the medical bills," she said.

At least a half-dozen dogs and cats have been killed in the Pointes over the past two years. It's open season as far as Daniel Jensen, Grosse Pointe Farms director of public safety, is concerned.

"Every shift has the green light to shoot them," Jensen said. "We've put up with this long enough."

The coyotes had been burrowing in a wooded area of the Country Club of Detroit property near Kercheval and Irvine Lane.

"We know there's a big male left. A big male," Jensen said. "We've had numerous sightings, but we can't crank the shot off at the area with occupied dwellings."

Other public safety officers in the Pointes have also been authorized by their commanders to kill the predators. Grosse Pointe Woods officials also hired a trapper to come out after the next significant snowfall.

Jensen is certain the animals are becoming bolder and more dangerous.

"Every once in a while I get a letter saying 'trap them' or 'leave them alone,' " Jensen said. "I'm not putting my residents' families or pets at risk because of coyotes that have gone way overboard in losing their natural fear of humans. They just don't have it anymore. They're in people's yards."

'They're all over'

It's impossible to pin down their numbers, because there isn't an agency that monitors coyotes. But they're definitely growing, said Tim Payne, wildlife supervisor for the state Department of Natural Resources.

"They're all over in just about every community in southeast Michigan," Payne said. "In the last 10 years, it's really changed."

Part of that may be the lack of predators or competition from other animals, namely wolves. Part of it may be because the coyote is readily adaptable to areas occupied by humans.

According to the DNR, coyotes are most likely to be seen during their breeding period, which runs from mid-January into March in Michigan. Pups begin dispersing from the den site in the fall to establish home ranges of their own, and they sometimes wander into urban areas. Coyotes generally feed at night, and they are most active at sunrise and sunset.

Coyotes aren't picky eaters. Their natural diet consists of rabbits and other small mammals. But they'll eat garbage. And dog food. And little dogs, too, if given the opportunity.

The Michigan Humane Society encourages a "peaceful coexistence" with coyotes, said Jennifer Roberts, Humane Society spokeswoman. The Humane Society recommends trapping and relocation if the coyotes become destructive.

But even that can be less than ideal, Roberts admits.

"Relocation often ends up being problematic, for multiple reasons," she said. "First, the removed coyote may not adapt well to his new environment -- many relocated animals suffer a poor chance of survival in a new, unfamiliar territory. Second, his removal often results in other coyotes taking his place, given available food supply and shelter. Finally, relocation of animals can open the potential for disease transmission."

There have been documented cases in other states of coyotes acting aggressively -- chasing joggers and bicyclists, confronting people walking their dogs, and stalking small children.

"There's not been any record of coyotes attacking people in Michigan, but there have been records in Western states," Payne said. "It's when the coyotes get conditioned to people that things get bad. You want to make sure it has fear of you."

He said people who encounter coyotes should attempt to scare them by yelling or throwing things to encourage them to flee.

Rinaldi believes there are more coyotes in the area than officials believe.

"They want to tell you there's only four or five of them. I don't think so," Rinaldi said. "I've seen them four times now myself. I think there's more like 20 to 30."

spardo@detnews.com (734) 462-2191
Old 02-06-10, 02:30 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
How to deal with a coyote while commuting:

-Airzound
-P7 on strobe
-U lock strike to the skull
-zip ties/duct tape to jaws/paws
-check your shorts (change if necessary)
-continue riding
Old 02-06-10, 02:37 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,491 Times in 1,286 Posts
We have lot's of coyotes around our suburban areas. Some people have lost their pets to them. A few months ago there was an incident on the east coast ( nova scotia ), where a 19 year old girl was killed by coyotes while hiking in a national park. This is the first time I ever heard of one attacking a human.Personally I don't worry about coyotes, I am more concerned about the traffic. But if I ever get attacked by one I would pull my knife out and put up a big fight.
Old 02-06-10, 03:18 PM
Schnayke

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You would have to be very wounded for them to consider you a target. A man on a bike is to mobile and strong looking to become a target of a scavenger. They only attack if they can't find anything already dead. coyotes are so common around here. I tell you what in Oregon they are scared of people. I bet there is not one that has not been shot at by a person around here.
I can only assume that girl was tiny or already hurt to get attacked. I have never seen a coyote or a group for that matter that a loud clap of the hands doesn't send them running like there will be no tomorrow otherwise.
Old 02-06-10, 03:30 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
We have lot's of coyotes around our suburban areas. Some people have lost their pets to them. A few months ago there was an incident on the east coast ( nova scotia ), where a 19 year old girl was killed by coyotes while hiking in a national park. This is the first time I ever heard of one attacking a human.Personally I don't worry about coyotes, I am more concerned about the traffic. But if I ever get attacked by one I would pull my knife out and put up a big fight.
I don't believe that coyotes killed a 19 year old girl. I don't believe they hunt in packs. I believe a coyote killed a 19 year old girl's kitten, or puppy or rabbit, maybe even an unattended infant.

I sure don't believe a pack of hungry coyotes is going to drag me off my bicycle and chew me up. If however to my chagrin I experience first hand to the contrary, I'll re-post and let you know all about it.

To the OP: You might want to be more alert for all the police out shooting off their rifles, especially the ones who can't hit what they're aiming at.
Old 02-06-10, 03:41 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by scroca
I don't believe that coyotes killed a 19 year old girl. I don't believe they hunt in packs. I believe a coyote killed a 19 year old girl's kitten, or puppy or rabbit, maybe even an unattended infant.

I sure don't believe a pack of hungry coyotes is going to drag me off my bicycle and chew me up. If however to my chagrin I experience first hand to the contrary, I'll re-post and let you know all about it.

To the OP: You might want to be more alert for all the police out shooting off their rifles, especially the ones who can't hit what they're aiming at.
If you don't want to believe me that's your problem. It was in the local news and newspapers. I wish I had the links to the news. I hope somebody else will post a link and prove it to you.
Old 02-06-10, 04:00 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
If you don't want to believe me that's your problem. It was in the local news and newspapers. I wish I had the links to the news. I hope somebody else will post a link and prove it to you.
Is this what you mean? https://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2...tack-died.html
Old 02-06-10, 04:48 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by scroca
Yep, that's the one.
Old 02-06-10, 04:54 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
How to deal with a coyote while commuting:

-Airzound
-P7 on strobe
-U lock strike to the skull
-zip ties/duct tape to jaws/paws
-check your shorts (change if necessary)
-continue riding
I've read on hiking forums that AirZound will scare off even bears. There was at least one mention on crazybikeonabike of a cyclist who scared off chasing dogs with it. He didn't mention spare shorts though.

Lucky, I never had the chance to test this. Did it actually happen to anyone here?

Adam
Old 02-06-10, 05:30 PM
closetbiker

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Silverexpress
... So what do you do when a coyote attacks? ...
I like to take preventative measures by anticipating it. Therefore I always ride in this:

Old 02-06-10, 05:44 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
I like to take preventative measures by anticipating it. Therefore I always ride in this:

I love it! Unfortunately that's what I look like without the extra padding.
Old 02-06-10, 06:15 PM
surfrider

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I've been riding and hiking the backcountry of Southern California/Sierra Nevada Mtns for 30 years and I've never heard of a coyote attacking a full grown human (attacks on small children have happened). I see them all the time and they'll take off if you try to approach them. Like mentinoed above, they are opportunistic scavengers and will take the opportunity to steal food if you leave it unattended, but their main foodsources are small game like rabbits, rodents, birds, (and pets smaller than themselves) and also feed on veggies when necessary. I don't worry about them.

I heard about that attack in B.C., but I'd question whether it was really a pack of coyotes. They usually hunt alone, except during breeding season, or if it was a 'pack' of juveniles recently weaned from their parents and trying to live on their own. Might they have been wolves? maybe immature ones that were not full-grown?

Old 02-06-10, 06:31 PM
kludgefudge

Bikes: late 80's bianchi campion d'italia, early 90's trek 2100, early 90's shogun selectra, mid 90's aluminum marin xcMTB, dept. store grade but upgraded columbia double eagle tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coyotes don't attack cyclists, they attack aspiring canadian musicians, and they do it as a preemtive strike against another possible Celine' Dion. I'd be more worried about errant deer darting across ones path.

Seriously though to those skeptical the coyote kills 19 year old girl thing: It happened. it was a freak occurrence, but it happened.
Old 02-06-10, 08:57 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
I've read on hiking forums that AirZound will scare off even bears. There was at least one mention on crazybikeonabike of a cyclist who scared off chasing dogs with it. He didn't mention spare shorts though.

Lucky, I never had the chance to test this. Did it actually happen to anyone here?

Adam
I live between 2 grizzly and black bear habitats and I would never rely on my Airzound to scare away a bear, especially a grizzly. Being alert and avoiding any contact is the best way to stay safe. (Grizzlies are great big eating machines, you can't forget that. In areas of Yellowstone affected by fires several years ago, black bears and grizzlies are now having to compete for the same limited food sources re-growing in burned areas. Rangers are finding black bears killed and partially consumed by grizzlies. Humans stand much less chance in an encounter with a grizzly. Contrary to popular perception, people here don't wander around armed; grizzlies are still on the endangered species list in the lower 48 and the feds actively prosecute anyone who shoots a grizzly, even if it's to protect livestock or family.) When I ride in the forest I'm alway alert and on the look out for bears and mountain lions. Until I retired away from the city, I didn't think much about the food chain. Now that I live in a national forest I can't ignore it (and despite what we want to think, the human species is part of the food chain).
Old 02-06-10, 10:59 PM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There's a family of coyotes on the Interurban Trail in south King County, Washington, a bit south of Seattle. Not much to scavenge on the trail, so they're reasonably good hunters -- the trail has quite a few rabbits for food, as well as neighborhood cats and dogs. Coyotes will work together to take down a larger dog.

I've had two or three of the coyotes trailing me in the dark on a morning commute. Never got close enough that I thought they were going to attack, seemed more like they were just having fun running. If they ever get close enough that I'm concerned, I'll let you know what they think of my AirZound.
Old 02-06-10, 11:38 PM
Schnayke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh well it was on the news. Yup it is true totally true. Man I believe everything I see on the news, because they are never wrong or lie. <------Sarcasm. I would also be way more worried about the people shooting at them. As for out on that trail. Less there are no other predators, and no things that die normally then I would guess there is nothing to scavenge. Remember these things move 50+ miles in a day fairly easy. Any road that close? They kill stuff, if they have too. I am sure they are even good at it. Before we set up camp(towns) there where scavengers.
Old 02-07-10, 12:12 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I've had one coyote encounter when walking my dog in the hills near Palm Springs. The dog was a Jack Russell Terrier, usually very aggressive.

But we had come to an overlook and I sat down to enjoy the view and the dog had climbed in my lap.

Then I noticed a solitary coyote padding up the hill from the golf course. She came closer and I was very apprehensive, especially fearing my dog going ape.

But as she crested the hill she saw us sitting there on the rock. Then the dog saw her, and by a miracle, remained silent. She looked at us but didn't break her stride as she passed about 5 feet away from us. She was very thin, and I trembled to think of what kind of fleas etc might be on her.

If she thought my dog might be a tasty morsel, she was wise enough to realize that she'd have to fight me for it. She padded on up the hill along a side trail.

There were many times that I heard the coyotes howling higher in the hills as my dog and I walked along the trails. I'd howl back and the dog would too.

And when I used to bicycle commute through the Los Penasquitos Nature Preserve, on occasion I would race a coyote along the main road.

I wouldn't worry about an individual coyote.

And with a pack, you may be able to bluff your way out just by acting dominant enough. But I've never had a chance to try that.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 02-07-10 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-07-10, 01:46 AM
ddez

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When i was a kid on the ranch,one coyote would come in fairly close to the yard at nite and get the dog to chase him out to the field where the other coyote's would be waiting to attack and kill him. These were big tough (not the smartest obviously) dogs. Coyote's are smart. Needless to say long term dogs were the ones that didnt fall for it. We had a couple of big dogs in pairs that would hunt and kill them if they found one.
Ive had coyote step right out on the mup in the city and head same direction i am going,just yell and they dissappear quick. Ive never seen one that wasnt scared of a full grown human and ive seen lots as a ranch kid. Sometimes ive had them track me on horse back for a bit,but i think they are just being inquisitive,and they dont mess with horses or cows, although they will get a calf if they can.
Id definately be watchful with small kids around though. They never came too close to the yard in day time,they are fearful of humans.
Old 02-07-10, 08:34 AM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I walk my grade school kid to the bus stop. Last spring we had a Coyote walk up on us. I do not think it realized we were there. we were down wind from it. I made myself big (waving arms and screaming at it) and ran it off. I live in a HEAVILY populated Suburb of Atlanta.
Old 02-07-10, 11:16 AM
DP Roberts

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kludgefudge
Seriously though to those skeptical the coyote kills 19 year old girl thing: It happened. it was a freak occurrence, but it happened.
+1.

It is sad that this young woman was killed. As the article says, it's very likely that the coyotes were starving or malnourished, and may possibly have been rabid. It's a freak, random, atypical, rare occurrence. Millions of people have bicycled, walked, or hiked in North America during the past year WITHOUT being killed by coyotes. I'm always amazed at the eagerness of Americans (and apparently Canadians) to start shootin' whenever there's a problem.

Perhaps this will put things in perspective. It appears that one healthy adult has been killed by coyotes in the past year. Indianapolis Colts football player Dwight Freeney has 13.5 sacks this year. If he manages to play in the Super Bowl tonight I'd better be careful, as I'm 13 times more likely to be sacked by Dwight Freeney than I am to be attacked by a coyote.