Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Which GPS and how to use one with free/Open Source maps for touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Which GPS and how to use one with free/Open Source maps for touring

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-13, 06:28 PM
chefisaac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NeoY2k
Thank you all.
Yeah you pretty much described what I want to take for navigation. It will be an eTrex 20 or 30 that will provide me turn by turn over OSM topographic maps for routes that will have been planned in advance on the computer.
It is not there to replace paper map, but provide me clear and simple directions.

I wil be bringing a laptop for general use, so will have the maps in the computer (off line use). It will weight a lot less and take way less room (thinkpad x62s with double battery, good for >7h) than paper maps showing small roads for 4000-5000km diagonally through Europe.

I have no iPhone, nor any smartphone, and will be free camping so the battery life would be clearly not sufficient.
But I will ride in the morning and afternoon with some time in the middle, which will allow me to charge AA batteries for the eTrex and the laptop, doing it every 3 days at most sounds reasonable.

Don't get me wrong, I love paper maps. Especially our national IGN ones that are beautiful and precise, with every park/wood/forest/source/church mapped ant lots of "historical" places pretty much unknown. But I like to stare at them at my desk or in the tent. They now are available online too, and it's true you don't get as much the "big pucture" and mental wandering you get with a paper map.

But I can't seem to be able to ride following a paper map on small backcountry roads without missing a turn every 5 to 10km, much to my despair!
Can I ask what type of computer you plan to bring and also where you got the free online maps that you can use off line? I need to do that too at some point.
Old 05-31-13, 08:38 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Chalk up another for paper maps. I rarely get lost so I can't see the value of spending a bunch of money for a GPS. Google maps has a bike route option you can select that will find safe bike friendly roads and paths as much as possible, and Adventure Cycling has great maps as well that use different routing then Google might but ACA maps contain other useful information like locations of bike shops, camp areas, motels, food, etc.
Old 06-01-13, 06:30 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chefisaac
GREAT suggestion.

Funny thing.... I used a Tom Tom when they first came out many many years ago. Interesting to see the name pop up again.

Tell me, does it wear your battery down a lot?
I normally keep the iPhone asleep as I ride and listen for turn instructions or occasionally wake it up to check the map. I'll leave it full on when I'm in a congested area with lots of turns. When I do that the battery will last thru a full day of riding but will be mostly spent at that point. So I have to recharge daily. For me that's easy because I have a dyno hub and the v4+ battery pack charging as I ride.
Old 06-01-13, 08:31 AM
NeoY2k

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chefisaac
Can I ask what type of computer you plan to bring and also where you got the free online maps that you can use off line? I need to do that too at some point.
So far not 100% sure, but if you can download an OpenStreetMap as .img to your garmin, you can read the same file from Garmin Basecamp on the computer...
Old 06-01-13, 11:42 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
We used OSM on a Garmin 800 in Europe, no paper maps at all. Worked very well. Rather than carry a computer with us, we mapped all our routes as TCX at home and took them with us on micro SD cards. That took a little faith. Also kept the OSM maps on micro SD. I don't load anything into the 800 memory or ever plug it into a computer. Just normal computer paranoia. Charging an 800 from an external battery requires the use of a Garmin charging cable, so it doesn't think it's plugged into a computer. I don't know if any of that is applicable to an Etrex. RideWithGPS is very good mapping software, but it requires an internet connection. The new Edge is the 810, which will not read TCX files, a disaster if trying to follow a specific route.
Old 06-02-13, 11:44 PM
JoeMan
Question Authority

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Solo 30, 2007 REI Novara Safari and Cannondale MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you have an Iphone you may not need to buy a dedicated GPS.
You can buy an app such as Gaia GPS or GPS Kit.
These apps have many many great features for cycle tourers.