Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Arm Strength and Gravel Centuries

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-15, 02:40 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

I've done two gravel centuries (2014 Westside Dirty Benjamin and 2015 Almanzo 100). I'm finding my arms are getting fatigued and weak before my legs or cardio (typically the last 20 miles). I'm interested in the upper body weight training to help target the muscle groups that you work on the long rides. I'm fairly confident in my bike fit & setup; however, I know it could be an contributing factor.

Please post some upper body strength training you use for long-distance riding. Thanks!
Old 05-18-15, 06:47 PM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you are doing these rides with more weight on your body/bike and not training with the same set up, that is a very common cause of upper body fatigue. Riding technical trails on a mountain bike or simply doing the majority of your training rides on gravel if possible will help out a lot.
Old 05-19-15, 06:42 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by chriskmurray
If you are doing these rides with more weight on your body/bike and not training with the same set up, that is a very common cause of upper body fatigue. Riding technical trails on a mountain bike or simply doing the majority of your training rides on gravel if possible will help out a lot.
Thanks!

I can see your point, many riders out on the Almanzo are riding with CamelBacks and backpack. I typically ride with a Chrome bag, but go with saddle bag and top tube bags for the Almanzo.

I like the idea and plan to take my gravel grinder on some single track rides.

I'm also planning to get wider/lower pressure tires. I've been riding 28c tires, and I'm sure that's putting a lot more vibration and fatigue into the arms.
Old 05-19-15, 07:45 AM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I've done two gravel centuries (2014 Westside Dirty Benjamin and 2015 Almanzo 100). I'm finding my arms are getting fatigued and weak before my legs or cardio (typically the last 20 miles). I'm interested in the upper body weight training to help target the muscle groups that you work on the long rides. I'm fairly confident in my bike fit & setup; however, I know it could be an contributing factor.
On rough roads, your arms do get a workout absorbing bumps and vibration. Training to strengthen them up is a good idea and very easy to do. Simple pushups will hit almost the exact same muscles and don't require any equipment. You can build quite a bit of strength in a short time using the "frequency method" where you do 6 - 12 sets spread out through the day. Don't do sets back-to-back, give yourself at least 30 minutes between sets. In each set do as many pushups as you can without struggling to complete a rep. It's a good idea to pair pushing exercises with pulling exercises to maintain muscle balance, so pair each set of pushups with a set of inverted rows. Since you're spreading the training volume out, you can (and should) do these every day for a couple weeks. Then take a week off and then repeat.

The beauty of both these exercises is that they also hit the core muscles that are critically important to cycling posture. In fact, you may find that core strengthening will actually reduce the weight on your arms, so you'll be gaining strength and reducing the amount of strength you need at the same time. And unlike heavier weightlifting exercises, you don't have the challenge of juggling lifting, riding, and recovery.

However, if you really do want to do weightlifting, barbell bench press (flat and decline) and barbell rows would be your go-to lifts. Just make sure you are doing the lifts with proper form and that you program in enough recovery. Avoid isolation machines since working the stabilizers is nearly as important for riding as working the main muscles.
Old 05-20-15, 10:05 AM
rochdad

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode the Almanzo last weekend for the second time last weekend and I was much less fatigued this time around despite not getting any real long rides in prior. I put in about 500 miles since January, but my longest ride was only about 30 miles. I am also 10 pounds heavier than last year too. The difference I think is tires. Last year I was riding some 700x30 Kenda Kwicks. This year I rode 700x38 Challenge Gravel Grinders. The Gravel Grinders are sooo much nicer rolling and supple, the extra rubber really made a difference. Aside from tires, I would echo that putting as many gravel miles in as possible is the best preparation. After reading your descending post, I'm betting you have a bit of a death grip on the bars that is contributing greatly to your fatigue. Learn to trust the float underneath you while staying loose.
Old 05-20-15, 10:13 AM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you want to target the muscles used on longer rides, do longer rides.

When you say you're using a Chrome bag, is it a courier/messenger bag or backpack?
Old 05-20-15, 10:49 AM
DirtRoadRunner

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get this book:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...JXijJ-GjfK6_bw

Start on the most basic program and work you way up. I'm in the best upper body strength of my life (I've been following the book for about a year). The excersies require almost no equipment and are far more time effective than weight training at a gym - my morning workouts take about 15 minutes.

Upper body strength is a great thing to have - you'll find it is much easier on you body any time you need to move something heavy. It also greatly reduces the potential for back injuries/pain.
Old 05-20-15, 01:22 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by MileHighMark
If you want to target the muscles used on longer rides, do longer rides.

When you say you're using a Chrome bag, is it a courier/messenger bag or backpack?
Correct, messenger bag.

The main issue is replicating the vibrations of gravel. I ride roads and limestone all the time but it's just not the same as the abuse of rough gravel. So, I'm working on some additional strength training and cross training to help improve the arm strength.

Today was a ride to the local single-track, I need more of this. And working in the push-ups through out my day.
Old 05-20-15, 01:33 PM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Consider losing the messenger bag if possible. As much as I love my big-@ss Mission Workshop bag for commuting, I leave it at home when I'm riding "recreationally."

Also, consider wider tires. The more air volume, the more cushion/suspension. Avoid the common mistake of running too much pressure.

Lastly, you might want to try a slightly shorter stem. I find that a shorter stem and more rearward saddle position helps take the weight off the arms/hands/shoulders, which reduces fatigue.
Old 05-20-15, 01:50 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by MileHighMark
Consider losing the messenger bag if possible. As much as I love my big-@ss Mission Workshop bag for commuting, I leave it at home when I'm riding "recreationally."

Also, consider wider tires. The more air volume, the more cushion/suspension. Avoid the common mistake of running too much pressure.

Lastly, you might want to try a slightly shorter stem. I find that a shorter stem and more rearward saddle position helps take the weight off the arms/hands/shoulders, which reduces fatigue.
OH, sorry, I created confusion. I'm just like you, Chrome bag for commuting and rides around town. But for big rides, no bag on the body - top tube bag and saddle bag.

I'm excited to get some new tires this month and see how that helps. I will post updates after next months Benjamin and specifics for the tires I get.
Old 05-20-15, 01:54 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
What do you have in your bag?

Edit: nevermind, you explained you don't ride with it on your long rides.

Old 05-20-15, 02:46 PM
sgtdirt

Bikes: KHS Grit 400, Redline Conquest SS, Redline MonoCog SS,2014 Felt TK3,

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts
Kopsis, is correct (imop). pushups strengthen the tricept, shoulder and back. even if you can't do one, holding yourself in the front leaning rest position for a minute will also help strengthen those muscles. i also like pull ups. this works the back and biceps. as an added bonus, it also works your forearms.
Old 05-20-15, 02:54 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Maybe to increase the challenge (and pain) on your local trails, you could switch to skinnier tires at higher pressure. Wider tires at low pressure will feel cushy and in-control by comparison at the next event.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-01-15, 07:11 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

I have been working on some strength training - push ups, planking, and some dumbbells.

However, yesterday I got a really good work out without planning it. I took my longest ride on a new bike (new-to-me bike). This new bike has more reach and the hoods are lower and over 4 hours of riding I could really feel the same stress I do in 7 hours for riding the gravel grinder.
Old 06-14-15, 07:28 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

It worked! Did the Westside Dirty Benjamin yesterday without any serious fatigue. The Benjamin was 106 miles this year, and to add to the challenge, 5 of us rode to the event. By the end of the day, I had 150 miles. Thanks for the input and help!
Old 06-15-15, 11:34 PM
JoeMan
Question Authority

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Solo 30, 2007 REI Novara Safari and Cannondale MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have done several self routed gravel/dirt centuries in Nevada and Oregon. I try to keep my body weight low. Pro Peloton riders, for example, are 2.0 to 2.2 lbs per inch of height. For my back strengthening exercises I really like the benefits of pull ups. Both straight pull ups and neutral grip pull ups which strengthen my grip.