Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

RIP, the classic touring bike?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

RIP, the classic touring bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-15, 10:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The same TW companies that most brands go to can make thousands of bike frames/forks to your specifications.

.. thats what they do.. order enough and they will put your Logo On..
Old 06-16-15, 11:04 PM
JoeMan
Question Authority

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Solo 30, 2007 REI Novara Safari and Cannondale MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My 2007 REI Safari is a great touring bike in the classic design. 26", disc brake, aluminum frame. I have upgraded a few components over the years. This a dependable and sturdy touring bike even on gravel or dirt routes. It was designed by REI to ride the Great Divide MTB Route.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (20.6 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by JoeMan; 06-16-15 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-17-15, 05:30 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMan

My 2007 REI Safari is a great touring bike in the classic design. 26", disc brake, aluminum frame. I have upgraded a few components over the years. This a dependable and sturdy touring bike even on gravel or dirt routes. It was designed by REI to ride the Great Divide MTB Route.
While the Safari is a nice bike, it doesn't fit my idea of a classic touring bike. It has more in common with a mountain bike than a classic touring bike. IMO, classic bikes aren't aluminum, don't have 26" wheels, and do have drop bars. Of course folks will disagree on what constitutes a classic touring bike, but I doubt the Safari fits that category for most.

I am not knocking the Safari, I just don't think it fits the classic touring bike category.

BTW, my touring bike choice these days isn't a classic touring bike either.
Old 06-17-15, 06:58 AM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tmac100
OK, I'll bite .......I once bought a Rolex - also because I wanted to

Obviously you have different ideas and wants than I do - and you have the wonderful opportunity of spending your hard earned money the way you want to.

I rest my case.
Yup, I prefer Grand Seiko
Old 06-17-15, 07:09 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMan
Originally Posted by staehpj1
While the Safari is a nice bike, it doesn't fit my idea of a classic touring bike. It has more in common with a mountain bike than a classic touring bike. IMO, classic bikes aren't aluminum, don't have 26" wheels, and do have drop bars. Of course folks will disagree on what constitutes a classic touring bike, but I doubt the Safari fits that category for most.

I am not knocking the Safari, I just don't think it fits the classic touring bike category.

BTW, my touring bike choice these days isn't a classic touring bike either.
I think that goes to the OP's point. I don't think that the classic touring bike is going away, but we've gotten away from the situation where, if you want to tour, you probably want a classic touring bike. Now we have bikes for all kinds of situations from all-pavement touring to no-roads-at-all touring and everywhere in between.
Old 06-17-15, 07:33 AM
Mickey2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe we classify bikes too ridgidly, give a type of bike too much importance. Most frames and rims are pretty flexible when it comes to use. The classic trecking bikes with the slightly strengthened tubing, 28" wheels, often with the option of adding mudguards. Isn't this the basic bike? It's aslo ideal for commuting, trips, getting about on your every day errands? I don't think it's out of favor or popularity, people still go on the road for days and weeks. For decades the fashion has been towards MTB frames and suspension forks with exactly the same purpose and still is to a large degree. It's like meeting the requirements of the road from an off road view point rather than the racer. I think the racer will always be an ideal though, minimal weight, narrow rims and tires, optimised for efficient use of energy and easy riding; it just needs slightly tweaking for a different job. I hope it makes sense ;- )
Old 06-20-15, 04:19 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Individual variety and choice is where things have been going and continue to head. I never see anyone touring on a bike/rig that's identical to anyone else's. Choice rules to meet the needs of each touring cyclist.
Old 06-20-15, 04:44 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
In biology, when a species evolves into a new species, the parent species is said to be extinct. The individuals all died, but their progeny live on.

By analogy, everything related to touring has evolved since the days of the "classic touring bike." Back in the late 70's, a lot of guys toured on racing bikes, and using the racks available at the time, and the panniers available at the time, they were having trouble with their heels hitting the panniers. So when Trek designed their ultimate touring frame, the 720, they made the chain stays really long so this wouldn't happen.

Now when I decided to go for a tour last summer, I hadn't ridden my 720 in quite a while; it wasn't even in rideable condition. Putting it back together I ran into various problems (see below) and, running out of time, I decided to do what I'd considered unthinkable back in 1983 when I bought the 720: I would tour on a racing bike

I set up this 1976 Holdsworth '531 Special' with the racks I used to have on my Trek, and new panniers...

and wouldn't you know it, I had no heel strike issues at all. Zero. It turns out you can avoid heel strike by redesigning panniers; long chain stays aren't necessary after all, or at least not for that reason.

I'm going to get my old 720 on the road again soon. It's at the powder coater now; I hope to have it back this week. But I realize it really is pretty obsolete. It wasn't made for cantilever brakes (or V-brakes, etc). It wasn't made for a low rider rack. It won't take a tire fatter than 35 mm. Even though it was made for Jim Blackburn touring racks, they never fit all that well anyway. I realize they fixed those problems in subsequent years, but even so, the model was soon discontinued. So, I will get my old bike rolling, and it will be fine, but it will always be a vintage bike with some limitations in comparison with a modern bike; I can live with that. If no one makes a frame like this any more... well, I can live with that, too.
I still think the '82 trek 720 with the center pull brakes might be the best of the lot. You could convert it to 650b or ride it straight up. I have the '83 720 and it's going to be tough finding cantilevers for it.

I think the long chain stays are a plus on a touring bike as it lets you get the center of gravity over the rear hub but I agree longer racks and skinnier panniers can take care of the heel strike issue.

Biggest downside on the vintage 720s is that they won't take much fatter than a 35c tire. I used to think a 32c is all I'd ever want for touring but I'm not so sure anymore. I've been riding a trek XO-2 with 26 x 1.5 and I really like the plush ride for touring.

Love to see the pics of your 720 once you have it powder coated. I need to decide whether I'm going to repaint my bike or just sell it and buy a new "touring" bike (assuming that the parent species hasn't died off yet, ).
Old 06-20-15, 05:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
One can "tour" on just about anything. I don't do a lot of multi-day tours, but I've done a couple. Always on an older steel frame road bike with narrow rims/tires.

I had considered for a few moments taking my Tricross.... but couldn't bring myself to riding 100+ mile days on heavy fat tires

The Tricross, however, may head out if I try some gravel touring.
Attached Images
PeakMarcolaRoad.jpg (104.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 06-21-15, 09:01 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Does anyone need a "true" touring bike anymore? If you want to go lightweight with your gear, you don't need a classic touring bike. If you want to carry a lot of weight, why not buy the more versatile off road capable touring bike?
The "classic" touring bike of the 80s has evolved, as the panniers, racks, etc., have. But, for many that plan to stay on pavement in OECD countries, there is nothing better. There is a minority of ultra light tourers, a few using foldup bikes, and a few that pull trailers, but other than those with folding bikes their bikes are not that much different from a "classic" touring bike of the 1980s.

There is a lot more interest now in off road touring and touring where even 4X4 vehicles don't go than there used to be. I think some of that interest is because the equipment is available to do it now, such equipment was not sold until recently.

This summer I plan on a week of single track with my expedition bike. But I have three touring bikes that cover the range from light touring to heavier touring to off road in the middle of nowhere touring. I would not want to use my expedition bike on a lighter weight road tour.

One thing that concerns me is the lack of good touring components in the future. The increase in specialized components for smaller markets may make it a lot harder in the future to put together a really good touring machine.
https://www.adventurecycling.org/defa..._DAmbrosio.pdf
Attached Images
20IMGP3449.jpg (101.9 KB, 45 views)
20IMGP1321.jpg (101.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 06-21-15, 09:10 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
One thing that concerns me is the lack of good touring components in the future. The increase in specialized components for smaller markets may make it a lot harder in the future to put together a really good touring machine.
https://www.adventurecycling.org/defa..._DAmbrosio.pdf
I think we'll see more stores specializing in "touring" (and hardcore commuting).

One of the big differences between today and a few years back is the huge access of parts through the internet. Just about anything one's heart desires is available.... somewhere.
Old 06-22-15, 07:31 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I think we'll see more stores specializing in "touring" (and hardcore commuting).

One of the big differences between today and a few years back is the huge access of parts through the internet. Just about anything one's heart desires is available.... somewhere.
DC area has a sizable touring contingent but most LBS have either no or perhaps 1 touring bike on display. REI has 2 or 3 I think. It is nice to have the internet to source obscure parts. I worry most about availability of suitable cranksets & derailleurs for touring. For instance many tourists use MTB cranksets & are satisfied with smallish big chainring...right now my touring bike has 46-tooth big ring--I'd prefer perhaps 50-tooth for descents. It's nice to have a high-enough gear to pedal at slowish cadence downhill, more stable than spinning.