Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubes are faster

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubes are faster

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-22, 05:21 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I am just impressed that he could average 23mph with 200W being a fairly big guy in a not very aero position.
Old 09-17-22, 05:23 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I’m still stuck on the grammar… shouldn’t it be plural “Tubes” vs “Tube’s”?
Likes For robbyville:
Old 09-17-22, 08:24 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
That video went from talking about tubes and tubeless to investing in contemporary art? WTF!

Anyways, I generally like tubeless once setup, but for hill climbing I do prefer TPU tubes and clinchers.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 09-17-22, 08:45 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
When you use normal hooked tubeless rims and just ride tubeless at 90-100 psi (or whatever is appropriate for your weight) tubeless tests faster than any tube type bar latex in every single test, all things being equal.
As soon as you add sealant to a tubeless tire, the rolling resistance advantage changes. A clincher with latex or TPU tube has lower rolling resistance than a similar tubeless with sealant. At the same pressures.

Old 09-17-22, 08:52 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
That video went from talking about tubes and tubeless to investing in contemporary art? WTF!

Anyways, I generally like tubeless once setup, but for hill climbing I do prefer TPU tubes and clinchers.
Don't confuse content with advertising. Of course with GCN et al it's combined.

I still prefer latex but TPU is certainly a fine option. I have yet to drink the tubeless kool-aid.
Old 09-17-22, 08:58 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
I thought the video was pretty well done. He obviously spent quite a bit of time with camera angles, different shots and editing. I wish he had done the tests using the same tire model tubeless versus tubed tires though. Especially since he worked at a bike shop I would think he could access the tires.

He made good arguments for why he preferred tubes and running at higher pressures. I also thought he did a pretty good job describing how the ride quality was the different between the set ups.

Did he convince me one was faster than the other? No, but I liked the presentation
Likes For Symox:
Old 09-17-22, 09:36 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
I thought the video was pretty well done. He obviously spent quite a bit of time with camera angles, different shots and editing. I wish he had done the tests using the same tire model tubeless versus tubed tires though. Especially since he worked at a bike shop I would think he could access the tires.

He made good arguments for why he preferred tubes and running at higher pressures. I also thought he did a pretty good job describing how the ride quality was the different between the set ups.

Did he convince me one was faster than the other? No, but I liked the presentation
I agree. I thought his presentation was good. Kind of felt like you were riding with him, then shooting the sh** in the parking lot afterwards talking tires.
Old 09-17-22, 09:45 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
As a 5'8" 200lbish rider, with that weight somewhat concentrated, squishy feeling tires are not good. When you get out of the saddle to climb, most of that weight shifts(or at least feels like it) over the front wheel. Suddenly it feels like you're front tire's going flat or the brake is dragging. For me the feeling gets worse as the rim/tire gets wider.
Old 09-17-22, 11:29 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
As soon as you add sealant to a tubeless tire, the rolling resistance advantage changes. A clincher with latex or TPU tube has lower rolling resistance than a similar tubeless with sealant. At the same pressures.
Latex offers the least rolling resistance, yes. TPU is a bit worse than latex, and ends up roughly on par or worse than tubeless.

I've ridden latex tubes for a while with tube type GP5000 tires, the decision to go to tubeless was a deliberate sacrifice of a small amount of rolling resistance to get the puncture resistance and comparatively less faff of tubeless (I've even toyed with airliners which really do work as a run-flat system, but now I only do it on my commute bike because honestly the tubeless GP5000s have had one puncture in 6000km and even that held a rideable enough amount of pressure to get home, without changing tubes in the dark).

The differences in the video, anyway, are due to the pressure difference. You're going to be hard pressed to measure a speed difference in the wild between latex, TPU and tubeless (with, say, 30ml of sealant) at the same tire pressure because we're talking about differences of about 0,1 W per tire at 100 psi.

Last edited by Branko D; 09-17-22 at 11:42 AM.