Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon fiber and sub-freezing temperatures? is there a problem?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-23, 08:33 PM
The_Snail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

due to circumstances beyond my control, i am forced to store some of my carbon wheels (campagnolo, zipp, lightbicycle) outside, in wheel bags, in boxes (hopefully by tomorrow), covered in either plastic sheeting, or in soft-shell bicycle bags.
they are under an awning, so hopefully wont get too much snow.
the temps are going down below freezing, and then thawing during the day.
will they be ok?
Old 11-22-23, 08:41 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Snail
will they be ok?
Yes.
Old 11-22-23, 08:57 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
Carbon fiber airplanes with 7-8psi fuselage pressure differential, with carbon fiber components and control surfaces exposed to the force of 600mph winds and fly where the temperature is easily -50f and lower and cycle to where it is +100f several times a day for 25 years or more and don't have any issues.

What conclusions can you infer from the above information about the carbon fiber construction of your wheels?

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 11-22-23, 09:11 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/1...6/1/012047/pdf

A while ago I was looking into what happens to bikes when you dunk them in liquid nitrogen (There is essentially unlimited I can access at work), and came to the conclusion that it wouldn't hurt a carbon frame, might even help it. Didn't get around to testing it
Old 11-22-23, 09:14 PM
The_Snail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
wow, thanks for the quick replies
Old 11-22-23, 09:48 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
What conclusions can you infer from the above information about the carbon fiber construction of your wheels?
Nothing. Unless you can show the resin, mat, and layups used in aircraft are the same as bicycles.
Old 11-22-23, 09:56 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Carbon fiber airplanes with 7-8psi fuselage pressure differential, with carbon fiber components and control surfaces exposed to the force of 600mph winds and fly where the temperature is easily -50f and lower and cycle to where it is +100f several times a day for 25 years or more and don't have any issues.

But, they don't use carbon fiber wheels on airplanes. What does that tell you?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-22-23, 10:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts

Originally Posted by asgelle
Nothing. Unless you can show the resin, mat, and layups used in aircraft are the same as bicycles.
Unless the resins are the same, there are no conclusions you can draw. The resins are (as far as I know) epoxies. There are epoxies formulated to do just about anything but each specialty comes with properties that are drawbacks for other uses.
Old 11-22-23, 10:38 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
What we can infer is that "carbon fiber" as it is colloquially known, is stable and retains it's properties in service through extreme and wildly varying conditions.

The darn things will be fine.
Old 11-22-23, 11:21 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Thousands of carbon fiber fat tire bikes. with carbon fiber wheels are used all winter in snowy climates

Last edited by Camilo; 11-22-23 at 11:25 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 11-23-23, 03:41 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Snail
the temps are going down below freezing, and then thawing during the day.
will they be ok?
They might get frostbite or hypothermia. But I doubt they will complain.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-23-23, 05:37 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Just don’t let the carbon fiber get wet or feed it after midnight.
Old 11-23-23, 06:38 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,040 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Just don’t let the carbon fiber get wet or feed it after midnight.
NOW you tell me!
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 11-23-23, 06:53 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Please do not compare aerospace grade carbon fiber products to carbon fiber bicycle frames.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 11-23-23, 10:27 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 633 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Please do not compare aerospace grade carbon fiber products to carbon fiber bicycle frames.
So pouring water on a basketball and watching it roll off doesn't prove the earth is not round?...
Old 11-23-23, 10:52 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
I just did! Carbon fiber is a versatile and lightweight material that finds applications in various industries, including aerospace and bicycle manufacturing. While there are some similarities in the use of carbon fiber in these two fields, there are also notable differences. Here are some key distinctions between aerospace and bicycle applications of carbon fiber:
  1. Performance Requirements:
    • Aerospace: Aerospace applications often require extremely high-performance materials due to the demanding conditions of space travel and aviation. Carbon fiber used in aerospace must meet stringent standards for strength, stiffness, and durability to withstand the forces encountered during takeoff, flight, and re-entry.
    • Bicycles: While bicycles also benefit from lightweight and strong materials, the performance requirements are generally less extreme compared to aerospace. Bicycles need to balance factors like weight, stiffness, and aerodynamics, but the safety margins and performance characteristics are not as critical as in aerospace.
  2. Material Grades and Specifications:
    • Aerospace: Aerospace-grade carbon fiber typically adheres to strict industry standards and specifications. The materials used in aerospace applications undergo rigorous testing and certification processes to ensure they meet safety and performance requirements.
    • Bicycles: Carbon fiber used in bicycles can vary widely in terms of quality and specifications. High-end bicycles may use advanced carbon fiber composites, but there is a broader range of grades and specifications in the bicycle industry compared to aerospace.
  3. Manufacturing Techniques:
    • Aerospace: Aerospace components are often produced using advanced manufacturing techniques such as autoclave curing, which involves applying heat and pressure to the composite materials. The goal is to achieve a high level of precision and uniformity in the final product.
    • Bicycles: Bicycle manufacturers may use a variety of manufacturing techniques, including less expensive methods like bladder molding or resin infusion. While high-end bicycles may also use autoclave curing, the production scale and cost considerations are different from aerospace.
  4. Cost Considerations:
    • Aerospace: The cost of materials and manufacturing processes in the aerospace industry is typically much higher than in the bicycle industry. The stringent requirements for safety and performance contribute to the elevated costs.
    • Bicycles: Cost is a significant factor in the bicycle industry, where manufacturers often balance performance with affordability. This can lead to a wider range of carbon fiber grades and manufacturing processes being employed.
  5. Scale of Production:
    • Aerospace: Aerospace applications are characterized by low production volumes and high levels of customization. Each component is carefully engineered and produced to meet the specific requirements of the spacecraft or aircraft.
    • Bicycles: Bicycle manufacturing involves higher production volumes, and there is a broader range of designs and specifications to cater to different market segments. Mass production techniques are more common in the bicycle industry.
In summary, while both aerospace and bicycle applications of carbon fiber share the goal of achieving lightweight and strong structures, the specific requirements, manufacturing processes, and cost considerations differ significantly between these two industries.
Old 11-23-23, 10:59 AM
LarrySellerz

Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I just did! Carbon fiber is a versatile and lightweight material that finds applications in various industries, including aerospace and bicycle manufacturing. While there are some similarities in the use of carbon fiber in these two fields, there are also notable differences. Here are some key distinctions between aerospace and bicycle applications of carbon fiber:
  1. Performance Requirements:
    • Aerospace: Aerospace applications often require extremely high-performance materials due to the demanding conditions of space travel and aviation. Carbon fiber used in aerospace must meet stringent standards for strength, stiffness, and durability to withstand the forces encountered during takeoff, flight, and re-entry.
    • Bicycles: While bicycles also benefit from lightweight and strong materials, the performance requirements are generally less extreme compared to aerospace. Bicycles need to balance factors like weight, stiffness, and aerodynamics, but the safety margins and performance characteristics are not as critical as in aerospace.
  2. Material Grades and Specifications:
    • Aerospace: Aerospace-grade carbon fiber typically adheres to strict industry standards and specifications. The materials used in aerospace applications undergo rigorous testing and certification processes to ensure they meet safety and performance requirements.
    • Bicycles: Carbon fiber used in bicycles can vary widely in terms of quality and specifications. High-end bicycles may use advanced carbon fiber composites, but there is a broader range of grades and specifications in the bicycle industry compared to aerospace.
  3. Manufacturing Techniques:
    • Aerospace: Aerospace components are often produced using advanced manufacturing techniques such as autoclave curing, which involves applying heat and pressure to the composite materials. The goal is to achieve a high level of precision and uniformity in the final product.
    • Bicycles: Bicycle manufacturers may use a variety of manufacturing techniques, including less expensive methods like bladder molding or resin infusion. While high-end bicycles may also use autoclave curing, the production scale and cost considerations are different from aerospace.
  4. Cost Considerations:
    • Aerospace: The cost of materials and manufacturing processes in the aerospace industry is typically much higher than in the bicycle industry. The stringent requirements for safety and performance contribute to the elevated costs.
    • Bicycles: Cost is a significant factor in the bicycle industry, where manufacturers often balance performance with affordability. This can lead to a wider range of carbon fiber grades and manufacturing processes being employed.
  5. Scale of Production:
    • Aerospace: Aerospace applications are characterized by low production volumes and high levels of customization. Each component is carefully engineered and produced to meet the specific requirements of the spacecraft or aircraft.
    • Bicycles: Bicycle manufacturing involves higher production volumes, and there is a broader range of designs and specifications to cater to different market segments. Mass production techniques are more common in the bicycle industry.
In summary, while both aerospace and bicycle applications of carbon fiber share the goal of achieving lightweight and strong structures, the specific requirements, manufacturing processes, and cost considerations differ significantly between these two industries.
not to be weird, but did you use ai to help write this? I’m paranoid and see it everywhere now.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 11-23-23, 11:07 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
not to be weird, but did you use ai to help write this? I’m paranoid and see it everywhere now.
"help"
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 11-23-23, 11:10 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts

In response to accusations about using AI, I clarify that AI serves as a tool to enhance productivity and efficiency in various tasks. It's not a replacement for human capabilities but a complementary technology designed to streamline processes and provide valuable insights. I highlight the practical benefits I've observed, such as improved efficiency and effectiveness in different projects. I take a moment to educate on the nature of AI, emphasizing that it simulates human intelligence in machines. Additionally, I stress the importance of responsible AI deployment and ethical considerations. I welcome further discussion, offering examples of how AI has positively impacted my life and social interactions. Overall, my response aims to be transparent and informative, addressing any misconceptions about the role and implications of AI in my activities.

Can you not think of a better way to respond to the post regarding Aerospace vs Bicycle carbon fibre? Very efficient and informative.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 11-23-23, 11:49 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
But, they don't use carbon fiber wheels on airplanes. What does that tell you?
they don't use carbon fiber wheels on aircraft because of the heat build up in the brakes. A worst case refused takeoff at max gross and emergency stop with no reverse thrust is an FAA required test, aircraft has to sit 5 min and then taxi some distance. The tires have fuseable plugs that blow out, and the brakes glow cherry red.

even on routine landings with moderate braking (autobrake 3 on a 737) you see brake temps of 700C. Which would soften the epoxy that bonds the carbon fiber together.

this is an entirely different use case than wheels on a bike. Not remotely comparable

to answer the @OP's question - storing carbon fiber parts outside should not be a big problem, won't hurt the material, you may see slightly increased brittleness in response to shock loads at low temps.

/markp
Old 11-23-23, 12:01 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by mpetry912
they don't use carbon fiber wheels on aircraft because ...
You didn't notice that smiley emoji, did you?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-23-23, 12:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,571 Times in 7,335 Posts
Didn't get around to testing it
Do eeet! Post the vid.
Old 11-23-23, 12:18 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Carbon fiber is a versatile and lightweight material that finds applications in various industries, including aerospace and bicycle manufacturing. While there are some similarities in the use of carbon fiber in these two fields, there are also notable differences. Here are some key distinctions between aerospace and bicycle applications of carbon fiber:

not to be weird, but did you use ai to help write this?
I hate to admit it, but it sure does read like AI. Of course, Larry is probably AI as well, so it could just be a case of AI rivalry.
Old 11-23-23, 12:30 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Unless the resins are the same, there are no conclusions you can draw. The resins are (as far as I know) epoxies. There are epoxies formulated to do just about anything but each specialty comes with properties that are drawbacks for other uses.
For the purposes of this discussion, you most certainly can compare and draw conclusions from the aerospace industry use. The epoxies may differ somewhat in formulation and you probably wouldn’t use aerospace grade epoxies on bicycles or vice versa, but in terms of their respective properties, they are close enough. Cold isn’t going to have much effect on either. For their applications, both will stand up to their task equally.

The only caveat is to avoid getting water trapped in the rim. Not just dampness but pools of water in the rim. The expansion of water while freezing will likely crack the rim. But that would hold for any bicycle rim. It’s also not something that is common in bicycle rims at all so it’s not really worth worrying about.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-23-23, 03:17 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Of course, Larry is probably AI as well, so it could just be a case of AI rivalry.
Larry is AU. I'll let you figure out what that stands for.
Likes For Koyote:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.