Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pickles!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-24, 07:17 PM
cweb99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
Pickles!!!!

How many here use pickles and pickle juice before and/or during rides? They are good for electrolytes and preventing cramps (or minimize)

And would you buy pickles that were made with cyclists in mind ie packaging, one time use container, simple ingredients, organic…

Not like that crappy pickle bag you find at 7-11….this would be great quality and home grown.

let me know your thoughts, seeing if there is a market for this.
Old 02-17-24, 07:48 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I'm a big believer in pickle juice. And I don't want to be a wet blanket, but there are already pickle juice packets for this purpose. this may be a build a better mousetrap opportunity for you though. I just don't see how it would be of use to me personally.

Old 02-17-24, 07:49 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Yeah, I keep the leftover pickle juice in the fridge for just this reason. It can also come in real handy for those hungover mornings or when you need a tangy spark for a bloody mary.
Old 02-17-24, 07:58 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
I would rather suffer cramp than drink pickle juice.
Old 02-17-24, 08:00 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I saw a comment to use fast food burger joint relish packets!
~~~
It's not the electrolytes:
From an older thread on hydration recommendations, I posted:

Most leg cramps I've seen in cyclists seem to be related to harder than usual rides. Bigger steeper climbs and more miles than usual. Not an electrolyte or dehydration cause.

pickle juice
Some of the local hot summer event rides have small cups of pickle juice at the rest stops.
Now, newer studies show that just a sip of pickle juice triggers a nerve reflex in the throat to short circuit some cramps. Ha, that's interesting. (The studies weren't with cyclists, though.)

For example, from the Washington Post:
How to get rid of leg cramps? Try pickle juice.
We do know muscle cramps occur more frequently among the elderly and among athletes, during pregnancy and dialysis, and in those with certain health conditions such as diabetes, cirrhosis or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. If you’re experiencing cramps often, be sure to check with your doctor to rule out any concerns.

Leg cramps seem to peak in the midsummer and decrease in the winter, according to one study. Cramping among athletes also tends to increase during periods of hot weather, but it seems these cramps aren’t related to dehydration and electrolyte imbalances from sweating, as some have thought.

Evidence on how best to treat leg cramps is weak. But after reviewing the state of the medical literature, I often recommend trying two simple solutions: gently stretch the muscle or take a sip of pickle juice.
For cramping, athletes have long sworn by pickle juice (strained from jars of dill or kosher pickles) and other acidic substances such as mustard or apple cider vinegar.

Experimental data in healthy college-aged men suggests that pickle juice inhibits muscle cramps through a reflex involving a nerve in our throats. It’s why a tablespoon of pickle brine hitting the back of the throat seemed to bring relief within seconds.

Pickle juice may also work for cramps that aren’t induced by exercise. A randomized controlled trial published last year found that a sip of pickle juice reduced muscle cramp intensity in patients with cirrhosis.

Researchers believe this improvement is due to a similar reflex that occurs almost immediately, rather than by how pickle juice is metabolized by the gut.

More rigorous research is needed on pickle juice’s effect on muscle cramps. And this strategy might be less helpful for people whose leg cramps are rare or disappear on their own too quickly to justify keeping pickle juice handy. But it’s safe and cheap enough that I’d feel comfortable recommending it to anyone.

Remember: No need to overdo it.

“A sip is all it takes. We’re not telling people to chug pickle juice,” said Elliot Tapper, a hepatologist at the University of Michigan and the 2022 study’s lead author.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After I posted this, I kept a tiny squirt bottle of apple cider vinegar by my bedside. I get random thigh, calf or foot cramps at night occasionally. They can be very tight and painful, and would take a long minute or so to relax.
I've had a few moderate cramps since then, and a half teaspoon sized squirt of vinegar to the back of my mouth killed the cramps within a few seconds. Ha, that's amazing!
(apple cider vinegar is way less nasty than pickle juice, I think.)
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 02-17-24, 08:17 PM
One Wheel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 40 Posts
I've never tried pickle juice for cramps, but a couple of times I've woken up in the middle of the night with leg cramps and found that a sip of milk has a similar immediate effect to what's described above from pickle juice.
Old 02-17-24, 08:48 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I would rather suffer cramp than drink pickle juice.
At my most recent gravel event, cramps started biting me at mile 25. On the walking section at mile 35, my legs were refusing to bend. At the mile 37 aid station, I took a shot of pickle juice (I don’t care for pickles) out of desperation. It didn’t magically erase the cramps, but I was able to ride the final 23 miles with only mild twinges, even on the most brutal walking section in the last 10-ish miles. I’m not a pickle juice convert, but I’m open to the fact that there might be something there.

Last edited by Eric F; 02-17-24 at 09:29 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 02-17-24, 09:14 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 328 Posts
^ I had a similar experience.

The one and only time I've used pickle juice was deep into a gravel race. I'd already had a small cramp and was coming up to a nasty climb. I downed a bottle of pickle juice (this stuff) right before the climb and carried on.

Did it prevent me from cramping further? Well, maybe. I didn't cramp. Was that because of the pickle juice? Who knows, but I rated it at the time!
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 02-17-24, 09:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
I am one of the pickle juice faithful.

Don’t drink/eat pickles (dill) prior to or during, but frequently I will have a swig after a long hot ride in high temps especially when I cramp in the evening or worse yet, in bed. If I cramp in the evening pickle juice + a magnesium tablet always takes care of them.

I did start to cramp last summer on a 12% 1/2 mile climb after 70 miles. Wished I had a pickle then.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-17-24, 09:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Pickle juice is great. The best pickle juice I had was at a bar in a Vietnamese restaurant years ago, it was from daikon and carrots and was absolutely delicious, the whisky was crappy Jack D but the pickleback was divine and I ordered a few more of those.

In terms of creating a product, it is a cool notion but there are options on the market already. Though if you did a different pickle juice flavor beyond standard pickled cucumber flavors maybe some funkier flavors like described above that could be cool.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-17-24, 09:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pickle juice is great. The best pickle juice I had was at a bar in a Vietnamese restaurant years ago, it was from daikon and carrots and was absolutely delicious, the whisky was crappy Jack D but the pickleback was divine and I ordered a few more of those.

In terms of creating a product, it is a cool notion but there are options on the market already. Though if you did a different pickle juice flavor beyond standard pickled cucumber flavors maybe some funkier flavors like described above that could be cool.
Like kimchi?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-17-24, 09:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Like kimchi?
Kimchi juice would be cool!
Old 02-17-24, 09:52 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
When the jar of Vlasic pickles is empty, the juice gets poured into the dedicated pickle juice jar. (I suppose this means some small percentage of the contents is literally years old.)
I see no reason for single serve packets, just take a healthy swig out of the jar before a ride and do the same after. Keep it simple, right?

For those who doubt the efficacy of this stuff I'll submit Eagles v. Cowboys, September 2000.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera

Last edited by Fahrenheit531; 02-17-24 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-18-24, 05:53 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
People on Bike Forums love their chocolate milk, too, so why not try selling a chocolate milk/pickle juice cocktail?
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-18-24, 06:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Bottled pickle juice shots already exist.

E.g.,

https://www.amazon.com/Pickle-Juice-...BoCjHIQAvD_BwE
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-18-24, 06:37 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by cweb99
And would you buy pickles that were made with cyclists in mind ie packaging, one time use container, simple ingredients, organic….
Why a one-time-use container that would then go straight into the trash? Most pickles are sold in recyclable glass jars with recyclable metal lids. It would take 10 seconds to pull a pickle out of a jar and stick it in a bag. If I wanted to carry a pickle, I'd use a bag left over from a doughnut I bought at the local supermarket bakery.

Regarding simple ingredients, organic, etc. - Kosher pickles fit the bill.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-18-24, 07:48 AM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Bottled pickle juice shots already exist.

E.g.,

https://www.amazon.com/Pickle-Juice-...BoCjHIQAvD_BwE
I believe pickle juice is available in a variety of sizes already.
Old 02-18-24, 09:19 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
People on Bike Forums love their chocolate milk, too, so why not try selling a chocolate milk/pickle juice cocktail?
Chocolate flavored cottage cheese?
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-18-24, 09:43 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Why a one-time-use container that would then go straight into the trash? Most pickles are sold in recyclable glass jars with recyclable metal lids. It would take 10 seconds to pull a pickle out of a jar and stick it in a bag. If I wanted to carry a pickle, I'd use a bag left over from a doughnut I bought at the local supermarket bakery.

Regarding simple ingredients, organic, etc. - Kosher pickles fit the bill.
surprised that you are the first person to tell OP that his idea for “single use organic pickle packets marketed to cyclists” is dreadful. Frankly though, I could see these in a bike shop. They’d have to be like 4 bucks each
Old 02-18-24, 10:55 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

It’s already been done - here is just a small sample. On a longish hot ride, sticking a pickle spear or two in a baggie should work fine for far cheaper.

Old 02-18-24, 03:30 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
On longer summer rides I'll sometimes bring a few of the mini dill pickles in a zip lock bag. On occasion, if I don't bring any with me, I'll stop at a deli during my ride and get one of those huge dill pickles. I like pickles!
Old 02-18-24, 04:05 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
Is pickle juice specific to flavor? I don't like Dill but love snacking on bread and butter pickles and sip the juice.
Old 02-18-24, 05:29 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
It seems to work for me, I think it's more the "blocks some signal" thing v electrolytes thing. I find it's better for after ride, not so much mid ride.
Old 02-18-24, 05:33 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
You know what’s great about a pickle? It’s like a food AND a drink.
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-18-24, 08:25 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Once I was riding the latter half of a self-century across Camp Pendleton when a fierce, dry Santa Ana wind came up. I'd drank at least a gallon of water that day, so I was a little confused that my peripheral vision was fuzzing into bubbles and I was on the edge of blacking out. I licked my salty mustache and realized I'd become sodium-deprived. I sucked the delicious salt crust from my jersey's sleeves. Utterly delicious.

Fortunately the convenience store on-base didn't ask for a military ID when I bought more water and a bag of salt and pepper kettle chips--sodium and potassium--one of the most delicious experiences of my life laying there on the grass outside the convenience store. It was everything my biology needed.

I guess pickle brine has plenty of sodium in it and provides a similar effect. But I prefer the taste of kettle chips to pickle brine. Heck, they even have pickle-flavored kettle chips nowadays. Sodium AND potassium: it's a winning combination.

Last edited by calamarichris; 02-18-24 at 08:29 PM.
Likes For calamarichris:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.