Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Bike lock, what are you using and how do you stow it...

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 09-22-15, 06:17 PM
roguewave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a question that seems to beg for a better way. To keep a lock on your (hybrid) bike without it slapping around as you ride all types of terrain on your way to the store...and not be able to be cut in less than 90 seconds.
Sorry if this has been discussed before, tried the search function but no luck
Old 09-22-15, 06:54 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I rarely leave my bike alone for anything more than a trip to a men's room or to buy a gas station bottle of water. But when I do.... I lock-up with a cheap cable lock I keep in my medium Topeak saddle bag.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
51zMh9NtwmL.jpg (33.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 09-23-15, 02:55 AM
roguewave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice, your probably right. I stow my bike on the boat at night so I just need something to keep it from walking off during a run into the store or maybe even the bar to have a beer. Maybe no need for the heavy artillery kryptonite u lock stuff. Those bad boys are a pain to stow and carry.
Old 09-23-15, 03:46 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
OnGuard Akita 8043 7' x 10mm cable, U-Haul disc lock (leftover from a rental storage unit) with very short shackle. I coil it up and lock it under the saddle, with a Velcro strap secured to the seat post to keep it from flopping around. I doubt this rig would take more than a minute to cut through with a decent bolt cutter but I used a much lighter weight cable and lock for years and never had a theft attempt.

The real trick is to find a lockup location that discourages theft. I've seen videos of thieves in the middle of NYC and London brazenly wielding angle grinders and huge bolt cutters while pedestrians passed without a second glance. But that wouldn't go unnoticed everywhere. Probably also helps to disguise it as something nobody wants. Like a flip phone. Or a sequel to The Last Airbender. Or fruit cake.
Old 09-23-15, 04:06 AM
roguewave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking into this stuff as a lightweight alternative, a length of this with your own lock just might be the ticket. I don't really care about the weight as far as lugging it around but I do care how it reacts when I'm jumping off curbs and flying over washboard areas. The heavy weigh locks are just not an option for me because of this.
keep the discussion going...

Strong & Light Synthetic Link Chains | Dyneema®
Old 09-23-15, 06:01 AM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a kryptonite cable lock for those days when I expect to be quick and a Kryptonite NY Standard U Lock for locking it longer term like at work. The cable lock gets wrapped around the stem and the u lock comes with a very nice tube mounted device that it clips into.

Some mount them on seat or top tubes while others mount them on the chain or seat stays

I have mine on the top tube so that I can still have 2 water bottles. I have it very slightly canted to one side so I can use the other side to remove the water bottles.

like this:

Old 09-23-15, 06:27 AM
Fly2High

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like this mounting of a u lock as well

I have also sen them mount it so far back that it makes it look like the lock is over or behind the rear hub
Old 09-23-15, 07:18 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I don't generally carry or use a lock, though once in a while I kind of wish I had one. I'm kind of thinking about giving this a try:

High Strength Bicycle Lock Anti-thief 6 Joints Foldable Bike Lock - US$27.77

For $25 for a knock-off of the popular folding locks it's probably up to the minimal security needs that I have, and it looks trivial to carry.
Old 09-23-15, 08:52 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I sometimes carry a 6' cable with a padlock (places like campgrounds where I don't perceive the threat level as either high or negligible). I have to get larger saddle bags to carry that, even when it's coiled up.

I've got a 3' Bulldog something or other I've left on the bike rack at work for about six years now.
Old 09-23-15, 09:10 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 196 Posts
I keep my bike in my office, but if I were to leave it outside I would take a $250 or so beater bike and leave the good one at home. Lock the beater bike up with two different types of locks, a thick cable lock and a U Lock, but don't spend a bunch of money trying to find the best, just a medium price set of locks. Any lock can be defeated including the best, and those lock insurance programs are the worst at paying claims you have to jump over to many loops to get reimbursed, in fact the chances of getting reimbursed is about one tenth of one percent and probably less!
Old 09-23-15, 11:15 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I'm not sure about the Dyneema chain for a bike, but I can envision Dyneema fiber or other mesh material being used to secure a bike or other items. This type of material might be cut resistant to bolt cutters where it might flatten but not cut cleanly; and could be made to snag and bind up an angle grinder, like carpet fibers wrapping around a vacuum cleaner beater brush. Such a material might also be lighter in weight, and much more flexible and adaptable to securing in odd places.
Old 09-23-15, 11:20 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I have two different era Kryptonite locks and mounts (like the ones shown above). They work and are quick to get the look in and out of. With one, the lock used to tap the seatstay and make noise so I took a little cloth bartape and wrapped the seatstay. End of the noise.

Ben
Old 09-23-15, 11:50 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by roguewave
This is a question that seems to beg for a better way. To keep a lock on your (hybrid) bike without it slapping around as you ride all types of terrain on your way to the store...and not be able to be cut in less than 90 seconds.
Sorry if this has been discussed before, tried the search function but no luck
I use an older ABUS, most of their U locks come with a frame mount that gives you a lot of options. I have mine mounted to the seat post, out of the way and doesn't take one of the bottler rack mounts.

Old 09-23-15, 01:51 PM
ragnar.jensen 

Bikes: Scott Spark 30, Scott Sportster 10,Chesini X-Uno, Miyata Century, Cannondale SuperSix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I don't generally carry or use a lock, though once in a while I kind of wish I had one. I'm kind of thinking about giving this a try:

For $25 for a knock-off of the popular folding locks it's probably up to the minimal security needs that I have, and it looks trivial to carry.
I use a non-knock-off folding lock, the ABUS Bordo. It's a hefty chunk of metal at 3.5 lbs, but it sits very securely and out of the way on the bottle holder bosses.

--
Ragnar
Attached Images

Last edited by ragnar.jensen; 09-23-15 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-24-15, 01:11 PM
hybridrider15

Bikes: Trek Shift 4, frame size 16.5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased the Kryptonite KC890 HD Chain Lock, for around $17 at Walmart. It has a 3' length which gives me more options like trees and posts to wrap it around. Just be sure when locking up a bike to keep the chain as high up as possible. Also, it is wrapped in a durable nylon webbing that helps to protect from scratching as I wrap it around the frame under the seat when riding . One drawback is the 5lbs weight, so be prepared for that. I need to shop the Kryptonite website to see if they make a stronger chain.
Old 09-24-15, 01:37 PM
Fly2High

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canklecat
I'm not sure about the Dyneema chain for a bike, but I can envision Dyneema fiber or other mesh material being used to secure a bike or other items. This type of material might be cut resistant to bolt cutters where it might flatten but not cut cleanly; and could be made to snag and bind up an angle grinder, like carpet fibers wrapping around a vacuum cleaner beater brush. Such a material might also be lighter in weight, and much more flexible and adaptable to securing in odd places.
Dyneema is basicallythe European name for Spectra fiber which is just polyethylene fibers. I would think Kevlar would be better than that stuff. To cut kevlar take ANY pair of scissors and run a file perpendicular to the blade to notch up the blade and now instead of slipping out, it grabs the fibers and cuts it like paper.

I wouldn't trust it.
Old 09-24-15, 03:05 PM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like many others, I have a U-lock that I snap onto a frame-mounted bracket. I also have a looped cable like this one (OnGuard Akita):

I take the Akita with me when I go on group rides, because we often have to lock our bikes together, since our numbers tend to overwhelm the available bike racks at the restaurant or whatever place that we stop and hang out after a ride. I also bring it when I have to lock my bike outside for more than an hour, running the U-lock through one loop, and cinching the other loop - pretty standard U-lock + cable locking technique.

I usually wrap the Akita around the seatpost. I saw other cyclists doing that and couldn't think of a better idea.

If/when I get a road bike, I'd like to check out a folding lock like the Abus - I wouldn't trust a cheap knockoff. I'd be less likely to leave the roadie parked outside anywhere for longer than it takes to make a restroom stop - the one exception being a group ride.
Old 09-24-15, 03:31 PM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe

Originally Posted by ragnar.jensen
I use a non-knock-off folding lock, the ABUS Bordo. It's a hefty chunk of metal at 3.5 lbs, but it sits very securely and out of the way on the bottle holder bosses.

--
Ragnar
The abus bordo granit x plus 6500 held 18s and 22s against different tools in bikeradar tests
The best bike locks and chains - BikeRadar

There is not much you can do in 20s so this lock seems pretty much useless.

Locks that seems to be a good compromise and a better choice than the bordo are litelok and hiplok gold

Last edited by erig007; 09-24-15 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-24-15, 03:54 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cable, wrapped in rubber with a key lock from walmart, came with a pump and some other stuff. Wraps around the middle tube and stays well enough.
Old 09-24-15, 08:51 PM
GovernorSilver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by erig007
The abus bordo granit x plus 6500 held 18s and 22s against different tools in bikeradar tests
The best bike locks and chains - BikeRadar

There is not much you can do in 20s so this lock seems pretty much useless.

Locks that seems to be a good compromise and a better choice than the bordo are litelok and hiplok gold
They still gave the 6500 4 stars out of 5, though they do recommend using it with a real U-lock. but then again everybody says to use a U-lock plus something else anyway if you're really worried about your gbike getting stolen.

Hiplok Gold at 2.5 kg (I'm guessing over 6 lbs?) is too heavy to be a practical option for most people. No "litelok" in that article.
Old 09-24-15, 09:05 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by roguewave
..... I just need something to keep it from walking off during a run into the store or maybe even the bar to have a beer. Maybe no need for the heavy artillery kryptonite u lock stuff. Those bad boys are a pain to stow and carry.
My lock may not be keep the bike safe from the "professional" bike thief... or the craftsman with a truck full of tools and a desire to own your bike. But then... not even the pricey, heavy, U-locks and thick chains will ether.

A half-decent little cable lock however will keep an honest person honest. That includes the 14 year old that has been getting into trouble a lot lately anyway.
Old 09-24-15, 09:44 PM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GovernorSilver
They still gave the 6500 4 stars out of 5, though they do recommend using it with a real U-lock. but then again everybody says to use a U-lock plus something else anyway if you're really worried about your gbike getting stolen.

Hiplok Gold at 2.5 kg (I'm guessing over 6 lbs?) is too heavy to be a practical option for most people. No "litelok" in that article.
4 stars for 18s against bolt cutters. Not worth the hassle. How long to reach a coffee shop 10s, 15s? And it's not because you can see the thief from for instance across the street that the bike is safe. You still need to catch the guy. The guy can still cut the lock and leave with the bike while you're shouting at him "stop". I see no practical use for this one.

2.5kg is not much more than the abus bordo but it's a matter of personal choice.
For 1kg more one will get 2min extra protection.
U locks like the abus granit x plus 540 can do that as well for a lighter weight but those aren't as versatile as chains. It doesn't matter how strong the lock is if you can't attach it to something strong.
Hiplok is easy to carry though i find dangerous to have something like this locked around the hip.

litelok (not yet available so wait and see)
Eight fresh takes on bike security - BikeRadar
Old 09-25-15, 05:52 AM
GovernorSilver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
4 stars for 18s against bolt cutters. Not worth the hassle. How long to reach a coffee shop 10s, 15s? And it's not because you can see the thief from for instance across the street that the bike is safe. You still need to catch the guy. The guy can still cut the lock and leave with the bike while you're shouting at him "stop". I see no practical use for this one.
I'm just confused why they awarded 4 out of 5 stars for this Bordo. Seems like their argument is "it's great when combined with U-lock". Maybe it's a 1-star without the other lock.

How many locks do you use? 2 locks minimum seems to be standard here (2 U-locks, or 1 U-lock + cable, or 1 U-lock plus something like that Bordo).

Hiplok is easy to carry though i find dangerous to have something like this locked around the hip.

litelok (not yet available so wait and see)
Eight fresh takes on bike security - BikeRadar
Litelok looks more promising to me. I'm not riding with a 2.5kg thing around my waist.
Old 09-25-15, 09:50 AM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GovernorSilver
How many locks do you use? 2 locks minimum seems to be standard here (2 U-locks, or 1 U-lock + cable, or 1 U-lock plus something like that Bordo).
You may not like my answer

1 (heavy) chain for the frame and front wheel + 1 U lock for the rear wheel + 2 cables for saddle and rear wheel + 1 system that prevent access to the rear wheel nuts + inherent protection of IGH for the rear wheel + other things

short answer:
1 chain : front wheel, frame
1 U lock : rear wheel

The rear rack and fender allow to carry the chain and u lock without much trouble.

Last edited by erig007; 09-25-15 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-25-15, 09:54 AM
GovernorSilver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You may not like my answer

1 (heavy) chain for the frame and front wheel + 1 U lock for the rear wheel + 2 cables for the saddle and rear wheel + 1 system that prevent access to the rear wheel nuts + inherent protection of IGH for the rear wheel

short answer:
1 chain : front wheel, frame
1 u lock : rear wheel
I like it, actually! That's impressive (chain, lock, 2 cables).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.