Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Old 02-08-16, 02:46 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
So many people waste so much time instead of automating things.
Attached Images
File Type: png
automation.png (25.8 KB, 68 views)
Old 02-08-16, 02:58 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Never not a good time for an xkcd reference.
Old 02-08-16, 03:36 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Other than it being stolen it sounds pretty legit. I could easily see one of my friends saying the exact same thing. Stolen, you don't know what happened, but if he kept the cars for a few years it is a reasonably good sign.

Also "ready to move on" is, well, isn't that what you want to do?

That 02 WRX that my buddy had did have some serious lag. When he sold it it had massive miles on it, maybe 200k. I drove it a few times, including most of the way to/from the Worlds in Hamilton, ON (so, what, like 15 hours for that trip alone?). It was pretty new at that point, but that's when I learned about the lag first hand. I drove it some other times, don't remember that much, I think I drove us to some races past NYC (Nutley? Liberty Crit off 287? Maybe Somerville? Philly RR to watch?). I did bring my GTech RR on many of the trips (like a power meter for a car, measures G-forces, etc) and was very disappointed in myself that I wasn't comfortable pushing more than about 0.7 Gs on exit ramps, probably because it wasn't my car and my buddy was sitting next to me.
Yeah, that's one of the things I read on a Subaru forum when I asked the question. I was told that the early WRX's have a bunch of turbo lag that makes them a bit unwieldy for low speed driving, which is what the 2.5L on my wagon does pretty well.

There are obviously ways around this that bring the spool rpm down significantly, but it wouldn't make much sense to put 2k worth of mods into a car from 03 with 130k miles on it even though those mods actually keep the reliability and increase the drivability. I think it's considered stage 2 by the likes of Cobb.

I really want to go through with it and I think it'd honestly be fun and worth it, but it'll require a bunch of effort and digging around that I'm not sure I'm game for right now. I'd definitely lose a bunch of money on what is currently a pretty reliable car with all the work done by a mechanic that my family has used for years. The only thing wrong with it right now is that it needs a new knock sensor which I'll have done locally since it's hopefully a pretty reasonable fix.

I am pretty tempted to go and have the wrx looked at by someone though just to see what it needs, but... sigh.
Old 02-08-16, 10:59 PM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We heard you guys like crosswinds, so we made a whole stage race of crosswinds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5_a3L824ME
Old 02-08-16, 11:20 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 3,080 Times in 1,631 Posts
Yo bro, I heard that you liked crosswinds. We put some crosswind in your crosswind, so that you can crosswind while you crosswind.
Old 02-08-16, 11:31 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

It looks so perfect when the camera pans out for an aerial shot.
Old 02-08-16, 11:33 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Very good graphic. So what is the use of technology then? If the graphic is true, stay with pen and paper - not that there is anything wrong with that.
Old 02-09-16, 07:24 AM
wens

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Very good graphic. So what is the use of technology then? If the graphic is true, stay with pen and paper - not that there is anything wrong with that.
Context: it means everything. That's a webcomic aimed at physicist/engineer/scientist/technology types. It frequently pokes fun at experiences people in those fields have.

My personal favorite is the nerd sniping one. And yes, I'm totally susceptible.
Old 02-09-16, 09:13 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doge
are you capable of processing humor?
Old 02-09-16, 09:20 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
is humor cheating?
Old 02-09-16, 09:26 AM
Flatballer
No matches

I'm on a steroid pack for a lower back sprain (from coughing during a bout of Bronchitis, of all things. I'm so old).

It's not even on the prohibited list. Dissapointing.
Old 02-09-16, 09:36 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Happy Mardi Gras!

Demain, on roule!
Old 02-09-16, 10:04 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
is humor cheating?
Only if one is a junior under 16.
Old 02-09-16, 10:06 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
are you capable of processing humor?
Yes. However it was just what I needed for a project.
Old 02-09-16, 10:51 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
I'm on a steroid pack for a lower back sprain (from coughing during a bout of Bronchitis, of all things. I'm so old).

It's not even on the prohibited list. Dissapointing.
I had a coughing fit while brushing my teeth one time that caused by back to spasm upright while my hips stayed bent as if I was leaning forward. Led to a series of back spasms that are among the worst pain of my life. Went to the doc and got perscription motrin, muscle relaxants and Robitussin AC (the one with codeine). That combo could cure all ills. Plus, some ultrasound treatments from the physical therapist. Throwing out your back while brushing your teeth has to be the oldest of old man injuries even though I was only 21 or so at the time. Those meds made for a fun weekend but the guys in the dorm I was playing counterstrike and starcraft with kept *****ing me out about my unusually slow reflexes.

Old 02-09-16, 01:07 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by himespau
I had a coughing fit while brushing my teeth one time that caused by back to spasm upright while my hips stayed bent as if I was leaning forward. Led to a series of back spasms that are among the worst pain of my life. Went to the doc and got perscription motrin, muscle relaxants and Robitussin AC (the one with codeine). That combo could cure all ills. Plus, some ultrasound treatments from the physical therapist. Throwing out your back while brushing your teeth has to be the oldest of old man injuries even though I was only 21 or so at the time. Those meds made for a fun weekend but the guys in the dorm I was playing counterstrike and starcraft with kept *****ing me out about my unusually slow reflexes.
I blew a disc getting up off the couch.

I was 20.
Old 02-09-16, 02:22 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 3,080 Times in 1,631 Posts
I deal with lingering lower back problems, started in summer 2014 from doing too much deadlifting too soon.

I thew it out like 4 times between then and last April, and have been in the clear since then. I'm pretty diligent about stretching, massaging and strengthening, I think that helps. Also, I don't ride with a pack anymore, that did it to me twice.
Old 02-09-16, 10:03 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
I got knocked off my motorcycle in 1982 by a guy who had been to "motocross school" and bounced on my spine at 45mph. It's kinda lumpy and it hurts more when I ride the Seven on bad roads. I also went off a cliff in 2007 and did compression fractures on a couple other vertebrae.
I had shoulder surgery in 1988 and I think that's why my upper back hurts at night. Bending over cars for hours doesn't help.
Old 02-10-16, 09:54 AM
Flatballer
No matches

My dad has a bad back from many years as a diesel mechanic climbing under, in, around, over and lifting super heavy stuff. I'm lucky to have an office job. Just one weekend of bending over an engine bay and I've had enough.
Old 02-10-16, 06:43 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just finished up ninth, and final, day of jury duty. It was not an enjoyable experience.
Old 02-10-16, 09:17 PM
big john

Got my wheel back from Mavic, they warranteed it again. This makes me happy, but I should probably sell those wheels.
Old 02-10-16, 09:25 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Dunbar
I just finished up ninth, and final, day of jury duty. It was not an enjoyable experience.
Never done it, or even been called. I have mixed feelings. Part civic pride, part scared of seeing something truly awful and/or ending up losing 6 months of my life. Were you bored or scarred?
Old 02-10-16, 11:36 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

That subaru I wanted just sold. Probably for the best. I wonder if there are any fun reliable-ish audi's that I can look into when I finish school. There's something about owning one of those old wrx's when living the broke life that was kind of appealing.

Also, knock sensor repair. Easy to DIY? I watched a few videos on it and it doesn't look too hard to do, but the access looks kind of annoying. I'll pop the hood on my car tomorrow to see if I can figure out where it is and if I'll even be able to get to it. I don't want to pay someone 200 dollars to fix something like that :/

(I also don't want to zap myself with a car battery while unplugging/plugging it in. Decisions/decisions.)
Old 02-11-16, 08:41 AM
big john

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
That subaru I wanted just sold. Probably for the best. I wonder if there are any fun reliable-ish audi's that I can look into when I finish school. There's something about owning one of those old wrx's when living the broke life that was kind of appealing.

Also, knock sensor repair. Easy to DIY? I watched a few videos on it and it doesn't look too hard to do, but the access looks kind of annoying. I'll pop the hood on my car tomorrow to see if I can figure out where it is and if I'll even be able to get to it. I don't want to pay someone 200 dollars to fix something like that :/

(I also don't want to zap myself with a car battery while unplugging/plugging it in. Decisions/decisions.)
You can't get shocked by a 12volt car battery. You can, however, cause sparks and damage things (including your eyes) if you short voltage to ground with a tool. It you're worried about that, disconnect the negative cable from the battery before working on the car.

btw, the 300volt batteries in electric cars are quite dangerous, and if you short out a 42volt battery in a hybrid little balls of molten metal will rain down on the customers carpet, or so I've heard.

Last edited by big john; 02-11-16 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-11-16, 09:11 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Started reading Jean Bobet's Demain, On Roule... last night. Knocking the rust off my French, which I haven't used in a few years. It's thankfully coming back pretty quickly. I've never delved into that period of cycling history, and I'm looking forward to it.

Demain, on roule!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.