Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend Ride Reports -- June 25/26

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-16, 07:48 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Last weekend of June ... almost halfway through the year ... time to get out on your bicycles and get riding!! Tell us all about your rides, long or short, fast or slow, in groups or solo. Where did you go? What did you see?

Also did you do any interesting cycling or other sports during the week?

________________________________________________________________________________

After our 200K last weekend, Rowan and I rested a few days, then set up our trainers in the basement and rode 45 minutes on Wednesday ... well, I rode my trainer and Rowan rode his rollers!! [scary] On Thursday we went to the gym to run on the treadmill and row ... a little cross training. A few weeks ago, I discovered I have inexpensive access to my university gym and should have looked into that option sooner.

It is winter here so our mid-week workouts are mainly indoors.

Today is Saturday, it's sunny and about 9°C out there so we'll be heading out for a ride soon.
Old 06-25-16, 05:56 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Saturday -- 47.7 km with about 467 metres of climbing and several steep climbs in there of 10% to 13%.

It was chilly ... got up to about 10°C and then dropped to about 8°C by the end of the ride. However, thankfully, the wind wasn't too bad. We stopped at one outlook to have a look at the ocean and watched surfers in the water. I know they've got wetsuits on, but I still think that would have been really cold.

And it was green!! Very green! We've had a lot of rain lately so everything is brilliant out there.

We haven't cycled in that particular area recently ... I haven't cycled there since 2004. Back then, it was a lot more rural and I remember thinking of it as out in the middle of nowhere. The roads were also really quiet ... and half in gravel. But now it is quite built up, the roads are paved (which is nice) but the traffic is quite heavy and it was like many of them weren't quite sure what to do about cyclists on the road. We have a 1.5 metre law here in Tasmania and most of the drivers gave us that, but a significantly higher percentage there, than in other places we've cycled, didn't. And there were a couple rather scary-driving incidents.

I was hoping it would be a really good route, but now I'm not sure how often we'll cycle in that area. Anyway, overall it was a good ride ... and a good workout.
Old 06-25-16, 08:38 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Photos from Saturday's ride ...

Start of the ride ...

The beach ...

On top of the steepest hill ...

Yes, actually named after Rowan. His family had a place in the area back a number of years ago ...
Old 06-25-16, 11:48 AM
silvercannon10

Bikes: 2012 caad10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sweet pics. very nice country side. im hoping to ride later but i rarely take pics..

I'll throw one in from a couple weeks ago.

this was taken at just under 10,000 ft.

Old 06-25-16, 10:56 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Saturday - Well I got out on my Giordana for what was shamefully my first solo century of the year. A beautiful day for it, mid 70s, crystal clear blue skies and a cool breeze.

Didn't stop for any pics but this is what i was riding...

Last edited by jamesdak; 06-25-16 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-26-16, 12:57 AM
silvercannon10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well I got in 36 miles in 2 hrs.. so i got a pic of where i left and where i flipped around.

this is where i started... a small park.

this is where i turned around.. not the best pic but its in a bit of a hole.
Old 06-26-16, 12:59 AM
silvercannon10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JamesDak, did you ride from logan up to idaho? noticed on strava I had one of my buddies that did that run.
Old 06-26-16, 07:11 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Sunday -- 36.4 km with only a mere 200-and-something metres of climbing. But we kept up a good pace the whole way around.

Thankfully it was a bit warmer today than yesterday, although it did cool off toward the end of the day.
Old 06-26-16, 07:50 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by silvercannon10
JamesDak, did you ride from logan up to idaho? noticed on strava I had one of my buddies that did that run.
Nope, I live in the Ogden Valley and I kept the ride local. Gonna do the Interlaken 100 out of here in August though. Liberty over Monte Cristo to Bear Lake. Should be fun.

I'm actually working on downsizing my home and may be moving up into the Cache Valley, great place to ride.
Old 06-26-16, 10:01 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Sat: 37mi with a few friends from the bike shop. one was tired from a friday ride so we took it pretty easy but had a nice time.

Sun: rode a short ride with my gf and some new friends. had a bit of gravel road that was much nicer for her on her Surley than my 23mm road tires but did pavement on the way back. Good recovery-ish and should be ready for mondays hammerfest shop ride
Old 06-26-16, 11:03 AM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Since I get three day weekends I'll start with Friday...

6/24: I've been busy dealing with health issues with my daughter so I haven't been on the bike much yet this season, so I decided to pump up the tires and take the bike for a little ride to keep the moving parts from freezing up. Ventured out on a 10 mile loop but felt well enough to extend it to 26-ish miles instead.

6/25: Fifty miles, pretty uneventful which I'm thankful for as the last time I attempted to ride this distance I had a run in with unleashed dogs, idiot drivers, and road garbage which left me with numerous flats. Oddly enough that ride was the only one I actually gave up on mid-ride.

6/26: Getting ready to head out for a casual,solo thirty mile ride and hope I can manage without heat exhaustion since I've waited so late in the day to head out.

Starting tomorrow I plan on making time to ride everyday after work, no matter what. My daughter's officially out of school and seems to be out of the woods so to speak on the health issues so I shouldn't have any legitimate excuses not to.
Old 06-26-16, 04:59 PM
Digger6255

Bikes: CAAD13 Disc, Ridley Fenix, Electra Lux 7D

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I did a 50 mile ride today with about 800 ft of elevation. It would have been great except the 15 mph head wind all the way back.
Old 06-26-16, 05:13 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Got in a quick 1 hour ride Sunday. Weather is getting nice and I am finally ready to pound out some miles. Need to change out all .my batteries in my sensors, some failures on the ride today so I figure do them all at once.
Old 06-26-16, 05:14 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Saturday - Well I got out on my Giordana for what was shamefully my first solo century of the year. A beautiful day for it, mid 70s, crystal clear blue skies and a cool breeze.

Didn't stop for any pics but this is what i was riding...

That is one really nice bike you have there.
Old 06-26-16, 05:38 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
44 mile loop.
The headwind just about equaled the tailwind.
Forgot water bottle, but with increasing talk about over-hydration, I should be ahead of the curve- 'dehydration ride'.
Got passed by giant RV towing a car- no shoulder, 6" clearance.
Spent the next mile thinking of revenge.
Old 06-26-16, 07:08 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
saturday: 54 miles from san jose to palo alto CA
sunday: 55 miles same ride
i have over 3,000 miles in four months on the this new bike
Old 06-26-16, 07:23 PM
silvercannon10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Nope, I live in the Ogden Valley and I kept the ride local. Gonna do the Interlaken 100 out of here in August though. Liberty over Monte Cristo to Bear Lake. Should be fun.

I'm actually working on downsizing my home and may be moving up into the Cache Valley, great place to ride.
nice, ive got a cousin that lives in logan... very pretty up there. the only draw back i could see is maybe a shorter season but the summers would be nice.
Old 06-26-16, 07:48 PM
jamesdak 

Sunday - Today was just an easy recovery day from yesterday's century. So I spent the day working on my new (but old) 1988 Fuji Club Fuji. Took it out on the first ride with the original 1988 700 x 19 tires and they held up just fine. Only 2.69 miles but I did run it up to over 21 mph for a short time.

Then I swapped out the tires and changed the saddle and adjusted the handlebars and went back out for another 1.97 miles.

Finally I took it out again for a proper easy spin and when I got back my daughter and grandson pulled up so I went back out with them for another little ride. This one all equaled 15.73 miles.

So, a total of a tad over 20 miles for the day.
Old 06-26-16, 07:50 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by silvercannon10
nice, ive got a cousin that lives in logan... very pretty up there. the only draw back i could see is maybe a shorter season but the summers would be nice.
LOL, I'm the kind of Utah idiot that does not quit riding outside in the winter.

Old 06-27-16, 05:11 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Short but sweet with 3 friends......https://www.strava.com/activities/620768476

Just kind of poked along except for a segment or two. Beautiful weather and then a birthday cookout with a bunch of cyclist friends afterwards.
Old 06-27-16, 07:38 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Machka, I wonder if we should change these threads to the Weekly Ride Report, since many like to include week day activities too...

Anyways, went out last Thursday for another evening Davis Is. heat pain fest for 33 miles. Saturday was a little odd. I bumped into a rider in Tampa who was telling me he rode from St. Pete. We talked a bit about the heat and where to find water then went our separate ways. I was planning on riding to Weeden Is. in St. Pete and I had this feeling I was going to run into him again. Sure enough around 5 miles later he was on my wheel heading over the bridge. Nothing major just an interesting coincident. Also got a rare flat on the way home. 38 miles riding and about 1/2 mile walking with my flat. On Sunday a less eventful ride to Upper Tampa Bay Trail for 39 miles. All I got to say is....damn hot right now.
Old 06-27-16, 07:52 AM
ShadowGray
I like my car

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Birthday ride on 6/25... did the Philly to Valley Forge loop, around 40 miles roundtrip. They've cleaned up this trail a lot since the last time I rode it (5 years ago). Decently warm in Philly (high 80s) but not too bad. Watched one guy wipe out on the canal section after his wheel got caught in a gravel to plank transition.

Last edited by ShadowGray; 06-27-16 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-27-16, 07:53 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a 25 miler relaxed ride on saturday. It was interesting, hit two good hills and I thought "Hm, I could hit most of Bozeman's good hills if I just added a bit on to this ride", so that's what I did on Sunday, which ended up being a 55 mile ride. Followed by a few mile mountain bike ride, but that's another forum. I think I hit a total of ~8000 ft (2400 meters) of climbing this weekend. (Road and mountain.)

It's hard to get good hills here in Bozeman. There aren't many paved roads that climb mountains and everywhere else is pretty much flat.

Oh and the obligatory pictures. (Don't worry, I wasn't riding the landshark on that rocky dirt road, the pavement ended about 10 meters to the right of the bike.)

And fine, the picture of the MTN ride toward the end of the day. (You can actually see the same mountains in the first picture above.

Attached Images

Last edited by corrado33; 06-27-16 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-27-16, 08:37 AM
sirkoondog

Bikes: 2012 Marin Highway One

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Discover Hudson Valley Century

The wife and I did our first century ride this weekend, Discover Hudson Valley. My riding this year has been sporatic, so I was a bit nervous about do the century. The route map didn't have any monster climbs, just a few cat 4s, and lots of rolling hills. Figure we give it a go and if we struggled we could downsize to the 75. The event itself was very well organized and route was mostly very easy to follow. The first section in New Paltz was fast. The wife was able to hook onto a fast pack and took off. I got stuck behind a slower pack and wasn't able to catch up. She ended up waiting for about 10 miles down the rode. Thats pretty much how the rest of the day went. She would take off after each rest stop and meet up at the next one. Rolling hills all day finally took its toll on me. I started to stuggle at mile 60ish and at mile 70, the climb completely wiped me out. Basically crawled all the way back. Weather was hot, but there was alot of shaded roads. A couple of spots where cars are flying past you, but overall the roads were nice riding. With so many other rides to try, we won't come back to this for a few years. On a side note, I don't drive the taconic much, but with the new SUV, the roads feels real narrow and felt forever back to the city.

Next day, my entire body is sored/tired with some minor pain in the back of the right knee.
Old 06-27-16, 10:10 AM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
My brother ahead of me on a 100 mile ride this past Saturday afternoon, sponsored by Sam's Badass Ghetto Gym for Yachtsmen and Cyclists, of whom we are (in age) very much the most senior of members. We were all on the Southern California coast, headed for San Diego and the conclusion of our epic day. Ahead of us was the climb, well known to Southern California cyclists, that would take us to the top of Torrey Pines State Park.

The route led from the North Park section of San Diego northeast to the top of Mission Valley, then out to Clairemont Mesa, to La Jolla, up to Oceanside California, and finally back down the coast to San Diego.

Below: Part of our group, much earlier in the day, as we road through Mission Trails Park.

Last edited by icyclist; 06-27-16 at 11:51 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.