Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How long did it take you to learn clipless pedals??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How long did it take you to learn clipless pedals??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-16, 04:36 AM
ahanulec

Bikes: Felt F85, Proflex 757, Proflex 252

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I moved from clips and straps to SPD. I had no issues getting in and out of the SPD pedals where I did fall over once because I couldn't get out of the clips.

I recently upgraded my road bike to Look pedals. I find those take a little finesse to clip into but getting out for stops or emergencies is still easy.
Old 07-05-16, 06:04 AM
The Quiet One

Bikes: Felt Z100, Trek 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started with Time Atac pedals and never was comfortable with them. Clipping in was easy. I had problems releasing. I switched to SPDs with multi release cleats and am very happy with them. So all I have to say is if you try one and it doesn't work, don't be afraid to try another. There are many styles with different methods of operation, so something (likely) will work for you.
Old 07-09-16, 12:31 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It doesn't take long . After doing so , I returned to platforms however . If I were doing club rides a lot, I'll probably go back to my egg beaters though .
Old 07-09-16, 01:04 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I've never had any problems unclipping. Once I went down and didn't get unclipped before I hit the ground but that had nothing to with being clipped in, just a crash.

I use Crank Brothers Candy's on my MTB bike and SPD-SL on my road bike.

The CB and MTB shoes are easier because the pedals are dual sided. The SPD-SL pedals aren't as easy to get clipped in with because they always hang vertically.

Had I not bought shoes (3 hole cleat only) and pedals I probably wouldn't have stayed with the road shoes/pedals, favoring the Crank Brothers far more than SPD-SL or standard SPD systems.
Old 07-09-16, 04:45 PM
morfeeis

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
After 3 weeks I'm use to clipping in and out, i did have a brain fart today and tipped over today at a stop light.. It was my first tipover.
Old 07-09-16, 05:11 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
One little thing I want to mention: with new, adjustable pedals, it doesn't hurt to back of the tension. I got a new set once, clipped in okay, and couldn't get out. Fortunately, I found a friendly utility pole to lean against and worked my way out of them
Old 07-10-16, 10:42 AM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i started with flat pedals for 6 months then a few months with toe straps, then 5.5 years of clipless. now i am back to flat pedals.
Old 07-10-16, 01:11 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Took me about two years to realize that it was all hype and that riding cleated in is a meaningless fad. Gives no mechanical advantage to non-professional level cyclists. Now I no longer have to walk on my heels like some weird bird when I'm off the saddle!
Old 07-11-16, 07:34 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
It took me a while to get out of the habit of reaching down with my right hand to loosen the strap buckle coming up to a stop. Also my skill of flipping up the pedal and getting into the clip didn't translate 100% to the Look pedals I had. My current Keos are better if I miss getting clipped in immediately. Those original Looks were hard to pedal on if you didn't get clicked in immediately. As far as walking in cleats, I don't really walk around much in them so it isn't an issue. No worse than walking in toe-clip cleat shoes I would think (I typically used Avocet Cycling 30 shoes that didn't have that problem).

scott s.
Old 07-11-16, 07:42 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Hmmm...
About the amount of time to click the feet into the pedals

Ok, it has taken a bit of practice to reliably find that place to click in.

However, I'm a long-time toeclip user. I've had the toeclips for probably 40 years since I was about 10. Even a period of using toeclips with cleats which is very good practice for extracting feet.

Currently using SPDs. One bike I'm using single sided PD-6500 pedals which took some time to get used to, but aren't too bad overall.
Old 07-11-16, 08:00 PM
jtuds

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5 and Rocky Mountain Vapour

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onlinejin
And what kind of pedals are you using??
I fell twice in the first half hour, then remembered that I needed to clip out early every time and didn't have any issues. It's also a good idea to lower the tension on both pedals so that you can get out quickly if you forget or whatever...

I use the Ultra pedals SPD SL I think
Old 07-12-16, 06:13 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Clipping and unclipping is the easy part and shouldn't take you but a few tries. Remembering to do so usually takes a lot more tries before you get it right.

I must admit that, in the beginning, I had issues remembering to unclip before coming to a stop until one day I was driving my pickup, with manual transmission, and thought about correlating the two tasks of engaging and disengaging the clutch with engaging and disengaging my cleats. Other than unavoidable crashes, I haven't had a problem since then. I use Shimano M530 SPD pedals for the double sided entry and the cage around the retainer allows for more surface area contact for the shoe.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-12-16, 06:52 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
spd-sl.... learning to use them is easy... takes no time... remembering to unclip before a stop takes a bit longer... I fell three times in the first couple weeks from forgetting to unclip...always where there were people watching, never fell when i was alone at a stop.
Old 07-12-16, 08:25 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I cut my teeth on toe clips and cleats on the bottom of my shoes. It was really hard to get out of those is an emergency, especially when the straps were pulled down tight. Clipless pedals were a piece of cake compared to that. The weird part for the first few rides was remembering to twist my feet to come out of the clips rather than up and back with clips and cleats.

Learning how to ride with a fixie and clipless was interesting though.....
Old 08-06-16, 11:31 AM
GySgtFTL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using look Keo max. About 14 years ago I took my first ride with clipless. I did great most of the ride but eventually came to a stop sign while day dreaming. I quickly panicked while attempting to pull my feet out (up) and slowly fell straight over on my shoulder. It was a great learning experience. I never forgot to slide my heel out again. The only thing injured was a slight scrape on the bike and my pride. I'm sure for anyone watching it would have been very funny.
Old 08-06-16, 11:35 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Took me about 9 weeks, including the healing time from the wrist fracture I suffered from a fall during first use. They are actually easier to get out of than strapped down toe clips with cleated shoes.
Old 08-06-16, 11:52 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by onlinejin
And what kind of pedals are you using??
It took a couple minutes to get used to my first clipless pedals. They were Speedplay Frogs, and I'm still using them many years later.
Old 08-06-16, 11:59 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
It took a few day to feel comfortable with them. I did fall once on a very steep hill; I had to stop and couldn't clip out fast enough. That is the only time in the fifteen years I've been using them. Wouldn't go back.

I have SPD pedals on two bikes and Look Keo pedals on the bike that gets ridden the most. I find the Looks are more comfortable over longer rides.
Old 08-06-16, 12:17 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
It took me about 12 days if you count the number of rides before I became comfortable. Started out with Time Attacks and Crank Brothers, moved to looks but didn't care for the single sided pedals so I now use Speed Plays on my road bikes and SPDs on my MTB and SS/FG.
Old 08-06-16, 02:56 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
I rode for years with clips and straps and never bothered with clipless pedals; In fact I gave up the clips and straps and now ride platform pedals.

The only time clipless pedals are better is on long climbs.
Old 08-06-16, 03:04 PM
YourMomApproves
Banned.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
In fact I gave up the clips and straps and now ride platform pedals.

The only time clipless pedals are better is on long climbs.
What kind of riding do you do that leads you to that opinion?
Old 08-06-16, 06:35 PM
Tim199

Bikes: 1995? Giant Iguana

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use SPDs, like others learning to use them was over before I clipped in and out the 15 times the LBS recommended, but getting used to them took a little longer. I also set the release to the easiest release and have never accidentally clipped out. Everyone told me you'll fall soon after getting them but I went two years without falling until riding on some trails that had 12" plus deep patches of sand and it was ridiculous. Probably fell 10+ times that day but the sand made it mostly a soft landing.

I really like them when trail riding I feel much more in control of my bike and like that I won't lose contact with the pedals unless I want to. Mountain biking shoes make a big difference for comfort. I can walk around pretty much anywhere in them. I bet there isn't a huge efficiency advantage for most people, but I most got them in the first place just to try to strengthen more muscle groups, so I didn't really care about the efficiency or carbon fiber shoes or that stuff.
Old 08-07-16, 06:00 AM
ahanulec

Bikes: Felt F85, Proflex 757, Proflex 252

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I started with clips and straps. I fell over with those. The most embarrassing was on a low speed corner on some loose sand. Anyway I was riding in the middle of a group that day and caused a small pileup.

Another rider was suggesting I replace the clips and straps with Power Grips as they are easy to exit. I opted for SPD clipless instead and never looked back. The rotation exit is second nature now.

I'm running Look Keo road pedals on my road bike. The exit motion is the same heel out rotation so I haven't had issues there. The clip-in for those single sided pedals has been a little more difficult but manageable. I'm fully comfortable with those Look pedals no and I only converted to those this spring.