Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

WTB Alpine panto chainring

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-20, 07:51 AM
rocks in head 
...addicted...

Bikes: 1985 Alpine, 2007 IRO Rob Roy, 1985 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1991 Diamondback Master TG

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts

This is a long shot, but I'm looking for the large chainring with "Alpine" pantograph, like this one:

Alternately, how are these made?

Oh... 144 BCD, obvs.
Old 05-22-20, 02:01 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Alpine Engraved Chain Ring

Originally Posted by rocks in head
This is a long shot, but I'm looking for the large chainring with "Alpine" pantograph, like this one:

Alternately, how are these made?

Oh... 144 BCD, obvs.
Best bet is to take a chain ring to a a business that does engraving like a trophy shop.

A pantograph engraving machine is used to cut shallow letters, logos and designs into a surface with a manually controlled scriber or a with a high speed rotating cutter that can be manually controlled or computer controlled.

With a scriber:

Rotating cutter:

BTW, Alpine was the house brand used by Georgetown Cycle and Sport in the Washington DC area in the mid 70's. They had frames built for them by at least several dozen suppliers. Do a Google search...

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 05-22-20, 06:24 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Call Wayne Bingham at Velo Classique. He has more old stuff than you can imagine. When I stopped by last week to say howdy he had a lovely Alpine in the shop for restoration.
Old 05-22-20, 07:18 AM
rocks in head 
...addicted...

Bikes: 1985 Alpine, 2007 IRO Rob Roy, 1985 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1991 Diamondback Master TG

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
Best bet is to take a chain ring to a a business that does engraving like a trophy shop.

BTW, Alpine was the house brand used by Georgetown Cycle and Sport in the Washington DC area in the mid 70's. They had frames built for them by at least several dozen suppliers. Do a Google search...
verktyg
​​​​​​ Thanks for the tip on trophy engraving! The photo is of the chainring on my Alpine, built by Fred Kelly. I'm not sure who built my new Alpine project frame, but it shares a lot of hallmarks with the one on my wall, down to the paint. Mine says "custom", while project frame has the customers name. The Kelly's are realtors now and run Alpine Speed Shop in Rockville.