Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Lithium EBike battery

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Lithium EBike battery

Old 06-07-20, 12:38 AM
GhengisFly88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lithium EBike battery

Greetings,i bought a used Ebike w/out a proper charger-bought one (from what u was told by the EBike shop proprietor) was the correct one for my battery (i checked the number specs) and he tested it by plugging it in...i got home and charged the battery...rode the bike a few miles and lost a full bar of power...so i plugged the charger in again and after 45mins the charger fried(breaking noises and fumes plus the case was very hot)..was wondering if a bad battery would fry the charger or if the charger is just crap aftermarket...and seperatly,if the battery lising a full power bar (being there is only 3) after only riding 3miles w/pedal assist set on max/4, is reflective of the battery not being good and if that somehow contributed to frying the $75 Chinese charger.
Old 06-07-20, 02:29 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Sounds like the battery is toast and you purchased a defective charger, but that's my guess since I haven't had either problem.
Old 06-07-20, 08:03 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
A $75 chinese charger? I never seen one that expensive. Must have had too many parts so it blew up., The $10 models have hardly anything inside to fail. Seriously, battery and charger do have to match and since you aren't saying what voltage, type of battery, or charger details, who knows.

I have had a few chargers blow up, but never with smoke or drama, They just didn't work.

You need a voltmeter to assess whether a charger is doing its job properly.
Old 06-07-20, 09:03 PM
GhengisFly88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Charger

The battery is a 48volt 10ah Lithium Ebike battery-the charger that was sold to me at the Ebike store is for a 48volt 10-15ah battery..there is/was an internal fan..i think the charger is of low quality-over heated and the fan melted and broke...im trying to determine if i need to replace the battery and if-so,where i can order another battery and charger. I live in Hawaii and the 2 Ebike stores are uncoperative unless it a bike bought from them and there arent any places i currently know of on Island selling batteries..and not a crap charger...hopefully,w/my reciept-i can get my $75 back.