Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Tubeless Tire Recommendations for 50/50 Gravel and Asphalt

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Tubeless Tire Recommendations for 50/50 Gravel and Asphalt

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-20, 08:57 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Rene Herse Barlow Pass (700C x 38mm) sound ideal for your application. I run them with tubes, but they can be run tubeless (better to use their sealant).

Those knobs on the the tire you posted won't really do anything.

If you need knobs, the Steilacoom is a good option. I use that on really rough stuff, and mud.
This is my suggestion too. Excellent and you need minimal tread for what you describe, just width. Second and third are Gravel King Slicks mentioned above and Challenge Strada Bianca in their widest width. All three are outstanding for what you are looking for.
Old 08-04-20, 12:14 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
My second set of wheels arrived while I was on vacation so now it's time to purchase gravel tires. At the moment, the recommended Specialized Pathfinder Pro or the Panaracer GravelKing SS are on my "short list" of tires to get.

On my vacation, I road the Three Eagle Trail in Three Lakes, WI, with the Conti GP5000 TL 700x32c tires I currently have on my bike to see how well "slicks" work on a packed gravel trail (only 1/3 of my ride was on gravel, the other 2/3 of the ride was on asphalt.) For the most part, slicks were just fine except when cornering. On several occasions, I could feel the back of of my bike sliding-out on sharp turns... of which the trail has many sharp turns. I'm glad the slide was minimal so I didn't end-up crashing, but the lost of traction was unnerving as I didn't expect it given how packed the trail is. I'm not sure if a tire with sidewall tread would help prevent the tire from sliding-out or if that's just part of the gravel riding experience. Most of the gravel trails near my house are straight as an arrow because they are retired railroad grades, but the Three Eagles Trail is only partially a railroad grade and so it was a good place to test tires.
Old 08-04-20, 02:33 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
My second set of wheels arrived while I was on vacation so now it's time to purchase gravel tires. At the moment, the recommended Specialized Pathfinder Pro or the Panaracer GravelKing SS are on my "short list" of tires to get.

On my vacation, I road the Three Eagle Trail in Three Lakes, WI, with the Conti GP5000 TL 700x32c tires I currently have on my bike to see how well "slicks" work on a packed gravel trail (only 1/3 of my ride was on gravel, the other 2/3 of the ride was on asphalt.) For the most part, slicks were just fine except when cornering. On several occasions, I could feel the back of of my bike sliding-out on sharp turns... of which the trail has many sharp turns. I'm glad the slide was minimal so I didn't end-up crashing, but the lost of traction was unnerving as I didn't expect it given how packed the trail is. I'm not sure if a tire with sidewall tread would help prevent the tire from sliding-out or if that's just part of the gravel riding experience. Most of the gravel trails near my house are straight as an arrow because they are retired railroad grades, but the Three Eagles Trail is only partially a railroad grade and so it was a good place to test tires.
Gravel varies greatly but.... traction in gravel comes with more volume and less pressure that can conform, not tread blocks. The tire being able to find enough of something solid underneath to support itself and your weight instead of searching or "squirming" around. It's not the same as dirt or something soft.

Last edited by u235; 08-04-20 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-05-20, 10:53 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
I got a great deal on a pair of Maxxis Re-fuse (700 x 40) and decided to put slick tire traction to the test. Coming from a few sets of Maxxis Ramblers in the same size it was definitely a big switch. I mostly ride mixed tarmac, hardpack trails, and gravel where I live, and so far they are handling it really well, but the real test has been some of the local MTB trails. You know what? They actually do really well...until you get into looser stuff in a turn or lose grip on a steep and loose climb, so I'm learning some new tricks. The big pro = noticeably less rolling resistance. The big con = less grip when things get loose.
Old 08-06-20, 01:07 AM
u235

Originally Posted by jp911
I got a great deal on a pair of Maxxis Re-fuse (700 x 40) and decided to put slick tire traction to the test. Coming from a few sets of Maxxis Ramblers in the same size it was definitely a big switch. I mostly ride mixed tarmac, hardpack trails, and gravel where I live, and so far they are handling it really well, but the real test has been some of the local MTB trails. You know what? They actually do really well...until you get into looser stuff in a turn or lose grip on a steep and loose climb, so I'm learning some new tricks. The big pro = noticeably less rolling resistance. The big con = less grip when things get loose.
​​​​​​Agree and another big con is if that singletrack or trail is wet. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread... A great gravel/road tire is not a great trail tire and visa versa. Single track and trails are a lot different than gravel. Wet road or gravel is not much different than dry, a wet MTB trail and hardpack is totally different than a dry one.

Last edited by u235; 08-06-20 at 01:18 AM.
Likes For u235:
Old 08-06-20, 10:48 AM
PoorInRichfield

This review of the Specialized Pathfinder Pro's suggest these tires would address the one concern I have about riding in gravel (i.e., tire sliding-out from underneath me unexpected)...

https://www.feedthehabit.com/gear-re...-2bliss-tires/

What’s flat-out amazing about these tires on the road is the sheer grip they offer when cornering at speed. The 3000 ft. climb above turns into a whale of a downhill with twisty, turny corners that, with the Pathfinder 700×38’s, felt like a playground. The angulation you can achieve with the Pathfinders is off-the-charts as I’ve enjoyed every curvy downhill I’ve encountered.
Old 08-06-20, 02:19 PM
u235

This review of the Specialized Pathfinder Pro's suggest these tires would address the one concern I have about riding in gravel (i.e., tire sliding-out from underneath me unexpected)...

Compared to the 32c conti of your last ride, no doubt. Skip the middle man, join the darkside and get a 42 and play with the pressure. You won't regret it

Last edited by u235; 08-06-20 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-06-20, 03:39 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts

Or you can read bicycle quarterly to see that tread doesn't make any difference on gravel tires. ;-)
There is some truth to that, but I find the breakaway characteristics are much different with tread.

and, like u235 said - wet surfaces (non paved) and slicks don't usually play together well. I was taking a nice dry ride on some 60mm slicks, hit a patch of mud and it was like riding on ice. Flotation/slicks is not what you want on mud.

Last edited by chas58; 09-17-20 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-16-20, 10:32 AM
PoorInRichfield

Follow-up to my original post...

Got my "gravel wheelset" all built-up. Thanks everyone for the tire suggestions. I'm going to be doing a 70 mile ride on a gravel rails-to-trails path this weekend to test out the new tires

Sometimes I don't understand myself though... I told myself I hated "skinwall" tires, yet that's what I purchased. Somehow the tan sidewalls make the bike look more "gravelly"

Old 09-16-20, 07:51 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input... lots of tires here that I didn't know existed!

I think it's funny how in the road bike world, there's pretty much two tubeless tires that are loved by all... the Conti GP5000 TL and Schwalbe Pros. In the gravel world, I can see that the cream hasn't quite risen to the top yet... or there is a lot of cream

I'm going to have to read some reviews on all the tires suggested, although I'll admit I'm most intrigued by the Specialized Pathfinder Pro suggested by BluFalconActual as I like the center ridge. Since it's usually the the center of the tire that wears fastest, I'm assuming that any tire with minimal tread in the center soon won't have any tread ones the tire wears, negating the tread. I've had a little experience with Specialized tires in the past and found them to be really good tires... although my Trek bike might have an issue rollin' with a competitors tires!
Gravel roads span a very wide range of condition (chunky, loose, hard pack, sand, mud, broken chip seal, grass, flint, bedrock, PLUS all paved road options) while riding paved roads only is more consistent. That is why there is such a range of "good" gravel tires. Some tires are good at several things, but the 'best' tire is a compromise of the range of conditions you ride over time.

Last edited by dwmckee; 09-16-20 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-28-20, 07:02 AM
PoorInRichfield

I got to test-out my new tires on the gravel trail in northern Wisconsin that I had originally bought the tires for. I was super-excited to be able to ride the trail again as part of a weekend vacation and test the tires on the gravel, but there was a new challenge I didn't even think about... wet leaves Being Fall in Northern Wisconsin, the tree colors are amazing and much of the trail was completely covered with either pine needles or wet tree leaves. Overall, I think the tires handled as good as one could expect in such conditions. I was getting a little bit of rear tire slip still, but I never ended-up on my butt which is good. I'm really glad I got these wider, gripper tires for Fall riding as I can't imagine what would've happened had I tried to ride my slick Conti GP5000s on slippery leaves.

(Not many leaves on the section of trail shown below... this is more of a "obligatory picture to keep things interesting" pic )

Old 09-28-20, 07:43 AM
u235

For the most part, slicks were just fine except when cornering. On several occasions, I could feel the back of of my bike sliding-out on sharp turns... of which the trail has many sharp turns. I'm glad the slide was minimal so I didn't end-up crashing, but the lost of traction was unnerving as I didn't expect it given how packed the trail is.
Overall, I think the tires handled as good as one could expect in such conditions. I was getting a little bit of rear tire slip still, but I never ended-up on my butt which is good. I'm really glad I got these wider, gripper tires for Fall riding as I can't imagine what would've happened had I tried to ride my slick Conti GP5000s on slippery leaves.
You mentioned two different situations and the rear being the limiting factor. I find this intriguing. This is the exact opposite of everything I've ever experienced when things unexpectedly get uneasy. The front always goes first for me. I even run a different "better" front tire sometimes for the conditions for that reason and can have an effective slick on the back and it is still not limiting.

Other than wet leaves, watch for walnuts, sweetgum balls, buckeyes, or whatever hard large orbs may be falling from trees in your area this time of year.

Last edited by u235; 09-28-20 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-28-20, 09:22 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I got to test-out my new tires on the gravel trail in northern Wisconsin that I had originally bought the tires for. I was super-excited to be able to ride the trail again as part of a weekend vacation and test the tires on the gravel, but there was a new challenge I didn't even think about... wet leaves Being Fall in Northern Wisconsin, the tree colors are amazing and much of the trail was completely covered with either pine needles or wet tree leaves. Overall, I think the tires handled as good as one could expect in such conditions. I was getting a little bit of rear tire slip still, but I never ended-up on my butt which is good. I'm really glad I got these wider, gripper tires for Fall riding as I can't imagine what would've happened had I tried to ride my slick Conti GP5000s on slippery leaves.

(Not many leaves on the section of trail shown below... this is more of a "obligatory picture to keep things interesting" pic )

Nice looking bike, and great photo.

Looks like an awesome ride.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-12-20, 08:32 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I agree that the Rene Herse (Compass) Barlow Pass (38c) is probably ideal for your application. You won't find a more plush tires out there.

Other tires to consider:
- Ultradynamico Cava
- Schwalbe G-One Speed
- WTB Riddler
Old 10-13-20, 04:12 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
what's the difference between Barlow Pass and Gravel King 38?
Old 10-14-20, 05:37 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
According to everyone I have heard from that has owned both, the Barlow Pass (Extralight) has a smoother ride.

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-14-20 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-14-20, 06:46 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Loving the Pathfinder Pros, great all around tire. Noticed at my last two races that 90% of the front pack was running them. Couple of guys said they get a ton of miles out them too, which would be great. I loved the Terra Speeds, but they wear out too fast.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 12-07-20, 04:44 PM
illjustride

Bikes: Trek Emoda, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
I've been on the WTB Byway SG2 versions which are their puncture protection models. They are nice. Check out my write up on them here...
WTB Byway SG2 Tubless Tire Review
Old 12-07-20, 10:20 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Loving the Pathfinder Pros, great all around tire. Noticed at my last two races that 90% of the front pack was running them. Couple of guys said they get a ton of miles out them too, which would be great. I loved the Terra Speeds, but they wear out too fast.
I love the Pathfinder Pro too. Great tire and rolls great on the pavement and in the dirt. It also holds air really well.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 12-10-20, 10:44 PM
babylovege

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm using schwalbe x-one allround 33c, and it's great for both condition, and also I can ride singles with limits.
If you don't need to go single, maybe schwalbe g-one speed 30c or any 32c semi-slick tyres can be recommended.
Old 12-12-20, 08:01 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
Casing and tread compound.