Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roubaix or another Defy?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-20, 01:37 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts

Looking for one more endurance bike to round out my stable. It needs to be carbon fiber, disc and electric shift (most likely Di2 or SRAM eTAP). I've been an ardent Di2 user for 8 years, having logged thousands of miles, but have softened a bit on Shimano because the new 11 speed rear with two chainrings up front is actually a 20 speed, because Shimano locks you out of two cogs in the lower ring. Nice! Seriously, I'd rather have the old ten cog rear!

Current stable:

2012 Giant Defy Advanced 0, Di2
2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Di2
2020 Bianchi Infinito CV, Di2 (disc)
2021 Trek Domane SLR7, Di2 (disc)

I keep bikes in multiple locations, and I'm now running into problems with lack of spare Shimano components on the 2012 bikes, therefore I'm looking for one more. The Giant would be a no brainer (M/L frame fits well, and I like geometry), but it's gotten pricey and they've gone down a step in frame makeup in the new Defy Pro 0

Can give a shout to the Roubaix? A 56 works stack and reach wise, just don't know if the Future Shock is overkill.

Thinking SRAM Red eTAP much more seriously after the Shimano debacle.......

Or any other bike that fits my 380-386 reach and 585-610 stack requirements?
Old 08-23-20, 01:59 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
California has notoriously bad roads and in my area they are really bad. For me, the future shock is a huge plus. I feel so much less beat up after a long ride.

if I lived in one of those mythical places with good roads I probably would find it overkill but where I am it’s a lifesaver.
Old 08-23-20, 02:56 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
California has notoriously bad roads and in my area they are really bad. For me, the future shock is a huge plus. I feel so much less beat up after a long ride.

if I lived in one of those mythical places with good roads I probably would find it overkill but where I am it’s a lifesaver.
Unfortunately, that’s also true in VA and much of FL where I do most of my riding. It’s as if the states have permanently stopped paving the roads. The smoother roads tend to be the double yellow ones with much more traffic........
Old 08-23-20, 03:27 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,034 Times in 1,428 Posts
I like my Roubaix. I’m thinking about rehoming my Diverge (literally never ride it any more) and getting a titanium bike to share time with the Roubaix, but I’m worried I’m not going to like the ride on the front end because I’ve gotten used to the FutureShock. If I ride with it locked out, my hands start falling asleep on me after about 5 miles. If I ignore that I can really feel it in my neck at about mile 25.

The Creo with FutureShock seems like it would be a blast. Been eyeing one of those too.

Last edited by MattTheHat; 08-23-20 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-23-20, 07:17 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
I put a lot of miles on my Defy and demo'd a Roubaix for a few days this summer. The roubaix "feels" more compact than the Defy; the future shock is useful on crappy roads (FS 2 can be adjusted to your preferred dampening) and all in all, Specialized does a nice finish on their bikes. In the end, I passed on it though; not sure why; it was a good ride, but somehow didn't make me want to drop the Defy in favor of it or keep it as a stable mate.
Old 08-24-20, 02:38 PM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
I like my Roubaix Expert, with C38 Carbon wheels and FS I feel like I'm riding on a cloud, even on the crappy roads of PA. The Roubaix is almost 1.5 lbs. heavier than my Focus Izalco, but I felt the comfort was worth the trade.
As for the 11-speed Di2, mine can cross chain all you want. You just have ensure you have it in Manual shift mode.
Old 08-24-20, 07:30 PM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
I know the Roubaix has a lot of fans, but I test rode one back to back with the current Domane, with an emphasis on how they handled rough roads. I found the Domane to be much smoother, even in the front. The Roubaix is more agile and sharper handling, but I’d pick the Domane for chewing up the miles.

And the Domane will hold 45mm tires (I’ve tested it), so it doubles well as a gravel bike.
Likes For drewtk:
Old 08-24-20, 08:21 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I like my Roubaix. I’m thinking about rehoming my Diverge...
I'm interested in the differences in ride quality between the Roubaix and Diverge, Matt, and since you have both, you're a good person to ask. I'm asking because I have a Diverge and have thought about adding a Roubaix. My Diverge is so comfortable that I can't imagine ever parting with it, but you can imagine parting with yours, so I'm interested in hearing why, and your comparisons of the two bikes.
Old 08-24-20, 09:19 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,034 Times in 1,428 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
I'm interested in the differences in ride quality between the Roubaix and Diverge, Matt, and since you have both, you're a good person to ask. I'm asking because I have a Diverge and have thought about adding a Roubaix. My Diverge is so comfortable that I can't imagine ever parting with it, but you can imagine parting with yours, so I'm interested in hearing why, and your comparisons of the two bikes.
I find the Roubaix every bit as comfortable as the Diverge. I like the FutureShock 2 better than the 1, and my Roubaix has electronic shifting and carbon wheels. I also have a power meter on the Roubaix, but not on the Diverge. The Roubaix is a pretty smooth ride on the road.

I was never really happy with the Praxis cranks on the Diverge. I threw the chain many times just riding on the road. The only thing I like better on the Diverge is the red on white paint scheme. I think I can fit 38mm tires on the Diverge, maybe larger. Bit since I don’t ride more than a few hundred yards a month off road, I always stuck to 32mm tires. If you run larger tires on the Diverge, that’s likely to make a big comfort difference.

And yes, when I purchased the Roubaix I had no intention of getting rid of the Diverge. Then I thought maybe I’d put it on the trainer. But Specialized warrants the 2020 models for trainer usage, but not the 2018 models, so I never used the Diverge on the trainer.

Last edited by MattTheHat; 08-24-20 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-25-20, 08:16 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I find the Roubaix every bit as comfortable as the Diverge...
Thanks for your insights, Matt. The Diverge is my only bike. I'm riding with 38s, mostly on pavement, but with some off-road riding. Most of my riding is solo, so I don't need a faster bike. My Diverge "feels" fast and comfortable, and I was wondering if I'd like the feel of a Roubaix better... or not like it as much. Or, maybe I wouldn't notice much difference. Just thinking about the possibility of a second bike, in keeping with the N+1 concept, although the Diverge seems to work well for all the rides I'm doing.
Likes For Random11:
Old 09-07-20, 07:35 PM
Plainsman

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
You seem to have the field covered on the endurance bike front. I’m looking for an endurance bike too, but purely due to geometry (they just suit me better). How would you rate your Defy as a climber? I’m looking at a new Advanced 1, and just trying to figure out how to lighten it up.
Old 09-08-20, 08:58 AM
JLopez149

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up a Roubaix last week and got a few rides in over the long weekend. I came from being on a Trek Emonda the last 4 years or so. The Roubaix is pretty impressive, smooth ride and still manages to be almost as quick. The future shock sure is nice on the rough roads. I also did some sprints and out of the saddle climbing. With the FS on the firmer end it feels like a normal bike.