Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

reducing lactic acid in gut area

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 08-12-20, 06:23 PM
Toespeas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts

can anyone drop some tips on dealing with lactic acid in the gut , sometime when im pushing way over my limit i get that poop/burning feeling in my GUT area , i figure its lactic acid , it goes away once i get recovered , but sometimes it can hit hard , this year i haven't raced as much so im feeling it more in the one or two races there are , i heard baking soda or powder can help , dont know , maybe you do **********

Last edited by Toespeas; 08-14-20 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-12-20, 08:47 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
So is it gut area or guy area? Big difference. I never have a poop feeling in my guy area so I'm guessing you mean the former? One thing's for sure, it's not lactic acid. For one thing, there's no lactic acid in our bodies for more than an instant, because it immediately changes to lactate. Another thing is that while everyone yaks about lactic acid or lactate, we have no issues with it. Lactate is fuel and is good for us. The chemical that causes that burning feeling is something completely different, can't remember the name though. Nice thing about lactate is that it's easy to measure and increases at the same rate the the chemical which causes the burn. Which is neither here nor there anyway, just FYI.

What's probably happening is that your getting too much stomach acid, like in the old TV commercials, "acid stomach." So take an antacid. They buffer that acid, much more efficient than dosing yourself with a base. Gaviscon works really well. Probably has something to do with what you're eating before and during your races. Try something that's mostly sugars or maltodextrin. Eating too much or eating the wrong thing, combined with going really hard will often mess up one's stomach. Another thing that works well is electrolytes and more water, dilution.
Old 08-12-20, 11:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Sounds like a dietary issue. Hard exercise can exacerbate some dietary intolerance. Especially if you're using some snacks and beverages targeted toward fitness.

Check the labels. If the snacks or beverages contain sugar alcohols like maltitol it may cause painful intestinal gas. I had to stop using energy and protein bars that contained maltitol, the most common sugar alcohol. Supposedly erythritol is easier on the digestion but I haven't tried it. Sugar alcohols have some benefits for athletes but the digestion issue makes them challenging to use for some folks.

Ditto maltodextrin, although I haven't had any problems with it. It's one of the main ingredients in sports snacks, including most gels.

I also avoid most vegan protein powders and snacks. I can't digest legumes without ferocious gas and digestive enzymes help only a little. I tried many varieties in 2018 and never found any legume proteins that agreed with me. The least bad is the little bit of soy isolate in Clif bars, which can make me a little gassy but are otherwise okay. Larabars seem okay too.

So I mostly prefer whey protein powder or meat. My digestion does fine with those. I used to have some problems with lactose intolerance about 20 years ago but that's mostly cleared up now. Occasionally I'll drink a large chocolate malt from Braum's or some other place and feel a bit bloated but not bad. When I buy milk or chocolate milk I get the lactose free or A2 milk. I do fine with those. No problems with butter, kefir or yogurt. I rarely eat ice cream, other than the occasional shake or malt.

While gluten intolerance and celiac disease are fairly uncommon in real life (compared with pop culture "wellness" fads), mostly confined to some genotypes, but worth considering if you do consume bread, pizza and other items that commonly contain gluten protein.

And if you don't use much or any salt, try adding some electrolytes to your water bottle for bike rides. I add them to almost every water bottle, although occasionally I'll take one of plain water for dousing my head during long hot summer rides.
Old 08-13-20, 11:34 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Go for a ride fasted and see if you get the same feeling.

I'd bet not.
Old 08-14-20, 11:21 PM
Toespeas

lol GUT AREA !!!!!

its more of a race issue , when i push way past me normal limits and stay there , i get a lactic acid burning feeling in my stomach , but it goes away as soon i let off the gas , im just wondering if lactic acid goes into your stomach or digestive area when you are screaming over the limits of your FTP , regular rides and even a strava sprint KOM attempt are not a big deal
Old 08-15-20, 12:21 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Lactate buildup might occur in the diaphragm and intercostal muscles during intense aerobic exercise with fast, heavy breathing. Not sure how it would occur in the abdomen unless we're doing intense core work -- sit ups, that sort of thing. But referred pain can be tricky and it's probably possible to feel pain from intercostal muscles and the diaphragm elsewhere in the torso.

Ditto, the adductor muscles in the upper thigh and lower core. That could conceivably build up lactate during a hard, prolonged effort. It could feel like it's in the gut.

The body uses built-up lactate as fuel, so when you ease up a bit to recover and the pain diminishes, you may indeed be building up and then using lactate.
Old 08-15-20, 04:36 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by Toespeas
lol GUT AREA !!!!!

its more of a race issue , when i push way past me normal limits and stay there , i get a lactic acid burning feeling in my stomach , but it goes away as soon i let off the gas , im just wondering if lactic acid goes into your stomach or digestive area when you are screaming over the limits of your FTP , regular rides and even a strava sprint KOM attempt are not a big deal
No. You don't have lactic acid coursing through your body.
Old 08-15-20, 09:21 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 321 Posts
reduce the size of the gut
Old 08-16-20, 06:19 PM
Toespeas

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
No. You don't have lactic acid coursing through your body.
so what cause the feeling ?
Old 08-16-20, 07:01 PM
rubiksoval

so what cause the feeling ?
Your lack of fitness.
Old 08-16-20, 08:24 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

If one goes hard enough, long enough, one's lungs hurt. When your lungs are hurting, you know you got in some good training. But that's not at all in the gut area. Maybe, like canklecat says, one might feel something in the diaphragm if one were doing fast diagphragmatic breathing. I've never felt it. That's not in the gut area. My guess is still diet.
Old 08-16-20, 08:51 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Don't have an answer but... On long rides on really hot humid days (90+ sunny mid atlantic humidity). I get what feels like partial indigestion, burps, and gassy and bloated feeling every time I drink water after maybe 4-5 hours into the ride. Doesn't help when I am at a time I need water most. I started taking antacids before and a few during those long hot days and it *seems* to help but could be a placebo for all I know. I notice it far more with watered down sports drinks (I don't like them full strength) but it happens with just plain old water eventually too. In my case I am hovering around upper zone 3, not near any thresholds. I never need antacid any other time.

Last edited by u235; 08-16-20 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-17-20, 08:53 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by u235
Don't have an answer but... On long rides on really hot humid days (90+ sunny mid atlantic humidity). I get what feels like partial indigestion, burps, and gassy and bloated feeling every time I drink water after maybe 4-5 hours into the ride. Doesn't help when I am at a time I need water most. I started taking antacids before and a few during those long hot days and it *seems* to help but could be a placebo for all I know. I notice it far more with watered down sports drinks (I don't like them full strength) but it happens with just plain old water eventually too. In my case I am hovering around upper zone 3, not near any thresholds. I never need antacid any other time.
Are taking enough electrolytes (not just salt) that you are constantly a little thirsty? When going hard, stomach isn't happy unless its contents have about the same electrolyte levels as the stomach wall, i.e. blood levels. I see this a lot on long climbing rides, not me, others. Then they don't drink and then . . . Actually they usually bonk before they fail from dehydration. My usual fix is 2 Endurolytes and water. Never seen that not work. My guess is that you're dehydrated AND low on electrolytes. Most antacids have a high calcium content. Might not be a bad idea to take a gram of calcium before you head out.
Old 08-17-20, 09:10 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I'm going to be super unscientific and say it sounds like "side stitches" to me. Look it up. Report back.
Old 08-22-20, 12:08 AM
Toespeas

its mostly in a races , this year there hasn't been many , the ones i did when i pushed over my limit i get a burning in my stomach an di feel like i have to poop my gut area ( stomach intestines ) feels like how my legs feel , like there is lactic acid build up , my lung usually feel fine even at high heart rate , this a very specific situation , when im screaming over my limits try to bridge on my own or sprint the to finish , i will always have a lack of fitness but this is not because im not fit enough , its because i haven't done enough reps and enough races and im not used to that sickening feeling , its more amplified this year because i have only 5 races when i would usually have 20 , just wondering if its possible to ease that , i have heard baking soda can help but i dont know i thought there where experts here LOLOL!!!!
Old 08-22-20, 03:04 PM
rubiksoval

its mostly in a races , this year there hasn't been many , the ones i did when i pushed over my limit i get a burning in my stomach an di feel like i have to poop my gut area ( stomach intestines ) feels like how my legs feel , like there is lactic acid build up , my lung usually feel fine even at high heart rate , this a very specific situation , when im screaming over my limits try to bridge on my own or sprint the to finish , i will always have a lack of fitness but this is not because im not fit enough , its because i haven't done enough reps and enough races and im not used to that sickening feeling , its more amplified this year because i have only 5 races when i would usually have 20 , just wondering if its possible to ease that , i have heard baking soda can help but i dont know i thought there where experts here LOLOL!!!!
Because you're not fit enough. You're saying it, yourself!

And for the fifth or sixth time, it's NOT lactic acid.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 08-25-20, 05:56 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
Eat some Tums.