Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trek Navigator 3.0 Tire ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-20, 02:17 PM
GotMojo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
I just acquired the above-mentioned bike in unused condition. After a few rides, the bike seems sluggish. I'm thinking that the tires may have something to do with this. They are the Bontrager Comfort B 26 x 195 that came with the bike originally. I've locked out the suspenscion fork which made a significant improvement. I'll be primarily riding on pavement with the occasional soft road conditions at campsites. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
GM
Old 08-25-20, 11:46 PM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by GotMojo
Hello,
I just acquired the above-mentioned bike in unused condition. After a few rides, the bike seems sluggish. I'm thinking that the tires may have something to do with this. They are the Bontrager Comfort B 26 x 195 that came with the bike originally. I've locked out the suspenscion fork which made a significant improvement. I'll be primarily riding on pavement with the occasional soft road conditions at campsites. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
GM
Check tire pressure. Sluggish is ambiguous, it is designed for comfort with a relaxed frame. Does it have a suspension seat post?
Old 08-26-20, 11:42 PM
GotMojo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tire pressure is 65lbs, no suspension seat. It's a comfortable ride, I'm just interested in tire selection that would best suit my street rides. I'm a total novice, but it makes sense to me that the tires would play a large part in the process.
Old 08-27-20, 07:24 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Looking at the bike, it is designed for a bolt upright position with the saddle almost above the rear wheel. It is probably difficult to ride this bike out of the saddle. This is a design for relaxed, not spirited riding. Narrower, lighter tires may help a bit, but they won't change the basic character of the bike. 65 psi is very high pressure for a 26 x 1.95 tire, lower pressure, say 50 psi might actually roll better
Old 08-27-20, 07:46 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
The tires are mostly boat anchors but as mentioned above that bike is not conducive to spirited riding.

If you want a light supple tire, then Rene Herse Naches Pass will do the trick. At 350 grams for the standard and 300 grams for the extra light, these will change the feel of the bike. With that said these are expensive tires and could end up costing you more than you paid for the used bike. Would I buy these tires for that bike, not on your life. Overkill but it is an option.

Second choice would be to find some lighter tires than what you have. Something like the Panaracer Gravel Kings or Soma B Line.

Personally I would ride it as it is. I tend to only replace parts when they wear out.

Happy riding.
Old 08-27-20, 10:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yea, just be be ready for the $80 each cost for the faster fat Rene Herse tires...
Old 08-27-20, 08:43 PM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by GotMojo
Tire pressure is 65lbs, no suspension seat. It's a comfortable ride, I'm just interested in tire selection that would best suit my street rides. I'm a total novice, but it makes sense to me that the tires would play a large part in the process.
Yes, consider tread type, width, pressure, weight and material . As others point out, you pay plenty for weight and material.

Specifically road tire tread focused on favorable road traction, and pick a narrow width (trading roll resistance and road feel against softer cushion ride). If the roads are wet, consideration an appropriate tread pattern. Look up the Kenda City Slick-Blackwall.

Last edited by jlmonte; 08-27-20 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-30-20, 07:19 PM
GotMojo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All, thanks for the tips, really appreciated!