Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

When you don't have the right cassette tool - make one.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-13-20, 09:54 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts

The tabs that go in the notches on the cassette are 1/4" thick steel strips, welded to the bolt. I didn't get the hole in the bolt perfectly centered. If I had a thicker piece of metal to use as the die for it that would have been better. I locked the vice in and drilled the die hole, then swapped bits and drilled the center of the bolt so both the die hole for the bolt and the bit for the axle hole in the bolt were on the same axis - only the bolt moved a bit too much in the die hole. Oh well, good enough. It doesn't have to be real precise. The axle hole is only a few thousandths over the thread on the axle so it is a nice, very little slop, fit (letter X bit if it means anything to anyone).

I also filed the tabs down a bit to get a better fit in the notches. They were intentionally cut about .015-020" over and welded on.

Question - does this style cassette nut loosen regular? Or reverse? As in - lefty loosey? Or righty loosey (reverse thread)? I used a long 1/2" ratchet and tried to back the nut out lefty loosey and put an abnormal amount of torque (that I felt was way too much) on it and didn't get it to budge. If that is the right direction I'll put my lighter impact wrench on it tomorrow and see what happens. It is an old bike and hasn't been maintained too well so it doesn't surprise me to get in to a stuck part.

Old 09-13-20, 11:15 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
It's a RH thread-
The usual method of destroying the tool happens when it cocks a little bit and the pressure on the "tabs"gets concentrated in a small area.
IF you could add a close fitting pilot that went all the way through to the NDS, it would help keep the tool "square" when applying force.
I hope the metal didn't anneal too much.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 09-13-20 at 11:24 PM.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 09-13-20, 11:19 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
It's a RH thread-
So normal "right hand" to tighten? That would mean left/counter clockwise to loosen - which is what I thought. All my others are that way so I don't see why it would be any different, but ya never know.
Old 09-14-20, 12:47 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I’m not sure that’s a cassette.
It looks to me like you’ve made yourself a freewheel puller. Freewheels tighten by pedalling action and can be on wickedly tight.
A very common method is to stick the tool in a vise solidly mounted to a bench solidly anchored to a wall, put the wheel on top, grasp it like a bus steering wheel, then ”turn left”.

If it is a cassette, you’re about to open the part that holds the DS wheel bearing cup and the coasting mechanism.
On Shimano Uni-Glide - which is somewhat similar to yours - that is a reverse thread.
Determine what you have before trying harder.

I’ve made DIY freewheel pullers on occasion. Never managed to get one made out of ”household” grade steel to work. Have had some luck starting with an appropriately sized tool socket, then grinding away material to form the tabs.
I appreciate the attempt though.😁👍
Likes For dabac:
Old 09-14-20, 12:53 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
I’m not sure that’s a cassette.
It looks to me like you’ve made yourself a freewheel puller. Freewheels tighten by pedalling action and can be on wickedly tight.
A very common method is to stick the tool in a vise solidly mounted to a bench solidly anchored to a wall, put the wheel on top, grasp it like a bus steering wheel, then ”turn left”.

If it is a cassette, you’re about to open the part that holds the DS wheel bearing cup and the coasting mechanism.
On Shimano Uni-Glide - which is somewhat similar to yours - that is a reverse thread.
Determine what you have before trying harder.

I’ve made DIY freewheel pullers on occasion. Never managed to get one made out of ”household” grade steel to work. Have had some luck starting with an appropriately sized tool socket, then grinding away material to form the tabs.
I appreciate the attempt though.😁👍
It's a Sun Tour 2 prong FW.
PARK FR-2.equivalent.
Old 09-14-20, 01:00 AM
dabac

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
It's a Sun Tour 2 prong FW.
PARK FR-2.equivalent.
As I thought then - freewheel, not cassette.
Uni-Glide also have the smallest sprocket holding the stack together, but doesn’t have the dimpled ring outside the sleeve with the notches.
Old 09-14-20, 02:00 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 191 Posts
I see a chain whip in your pictures, it is not needed to remove a freewheel.

As others have pointed out, put your "tool" into a vise with the tabs facing up. Slip the wheel onto the tool and turn "the bus steering wheel" to the left. easier to do when a tire is mounted on the rim, provides extra grip.

Another method I use, especially when a vise is not available, is to use a long (25") breaker bar with a socket to fit the tool like this one

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...bar-60819.html

Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 09-14-20, 07:42 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
I have a buddy kinda like you.

Will machine a tool to the thousandths just because he can. Will mill a new bolt to avoid another trip to the store. It's an art and I'm jealous.

Did it work?
Old 09-14-20, 10:24 AM
KC8QVO

Ultimately what I need is those gears off the hub so I can clean them. I also need to open up the hub because the wheel has resistance on it. The person who's bike it is never said anything about the resistance - I suspect they don't have a clue. The chain and gears need a good scrub down and re-lube for sure, but the resistance has me more concerned. So I want to open it up and see whats what. The axle does spin rough and tight off the bike (spinning the axle in the hub by hand).

I haven't had a chance to work on it yet today. I will get to it here this afternoon or evening. I may have to run out for a few hours.
Old 09-14-20, 10:29 AM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by JoeTBM
I see a chain whip in your pictures, it is not needed to remove a freewheel.
I don't want to transfer the torque through the hub. I'd rather a gear/cassette take it. Especially with as tight as it appears to be...
Old 09-14-20, 11:23 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
I don't want to transfer the torque through the hub. I'd rather a gear/cassette take it. Especially with as tight as it appears to be...
You don't have a choice. The vise method described works. The breaker bar method can work but it's really hard, bashes knuckles, and breaks tools. No pressure goes into the hub, unless you mean spoke holes. I've never heard of them failing like that (overall force / 32-36).

I spun one off relatively easily with a vise from an 87' that likely had been on since new.

My guess is that you're going to have a lot harder time getting the seatpost out of the same bike.

Dual chain whips will remove the cogs for cleaning, something that surprised me when I figured it out. The freewheel will still be attached though.
Old 09-14-20, 11:29 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts

That's a freewheel, not a cassette. Looks like the old Regina two-notch style, also used by Atom, Caimi (Everest), and even early Shimano Dura-Ace freewheels. The problem with them is that it is very easy for the remover tool to damage the slots of the freewheel body. Better tools included a stabilizing ring to hold the tool in proper alignment and reduce the chance of damaging the slots.

Question - does this style cassette nut loosen regular? Or reverse? As in - lefty loosey? Or righty loosey (reverse thread)?
The freewheel itself comes off the hub counter-clockwise. The cover plate for the freewheel mechanism comes off clockwise.
Old 09-14-20, 11:53 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Just to be clear... as other have mentioned

Old style freewheel.
You hold the wheel and unscrew the entire Freewheel (with cogs) from the wheel
You must not use a chain whip! - you will be holding the same assembly you're attempting to unscrew.

New Style cassette
You hold the cassette cogs with a chain whip and unscrew the cap.
The cogs then slide off of the freewheel that remains attached (and is part of) the wheels hub.

Reassembly... the Cassette cap has to be torqued to the correct value, the old style freewheel tightens when you ride it.

All the best

Barry
Old 09-14-20, 12:18 PM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Blast it with an impact. That's what I did.
Likes For Sal Bandini:
Old 09-14-20, 12:35 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
The "gears" on that freewheel are not going to be easier to clean if the freewheel is removed from the hub. If cleaning the cogs is the goal, you need 2 chainwhips to remove them from the body of the freewheel. If cleaning the internals of the freewheel is the goal, it isn't necessary to remove the freewheel from the wheel. It is possible to service the bearings of the axle without removing the freewheel although it is a bit easier to do with the freewheel removed. The only time it is essential to remove a freewheel is if you have to replace spokes
Old 09-14-20, 12:56 PM
dabac

Ultimately what I need is those gears off the hub so I can clean them .
You are aware that your tool - if it holds up - will spin off all the sprockets and the coasting mechanism as one unit?
Advantages WRT cleaning mainly consists of not getting the wheel dirty.
...the resistance has me more concerned. So I want to open it up and see whats what. The axle does spin rough and tight off the bike....
On occasion, I’ve been able to pull the axle by removing the NDS locknut, spacer and cone while leaving the f/w in place. Getting the DS cup clean is fiddly and slow, but doable.
Old 09-14-20, 03:09 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 191 Posts
Ultimately what I need is those gears off the hub so I can clean them. I also need to open up the hub because the wheel has resistance on it. The person who's bike it is never said anything about the resistance - I suspect they don't have a clue. The chain and gears need a good scrub down and re-lube for sure, but the resistance has me more concerned. So I want to open it up and see whats what. The axle does spin rough and tight off the bike (spinning the axle in the hub by hand).

I haven't had a chance to work on it yet today. I will get to it here this afternoon or evening. I may have to run out for a few hours.
I believe you are overthinking this.

I have removed hundreds of freewheels using the methods I described previously, with and without a vise. I have only encountered one freewheel that beat me and would not come off. I have never damaged a hub in the process.

The resistance you describe in the axle has nothing to do do with removal of the freewheel, that is a separate problem and the issue is having to do with the bearings in the hub and proper adjustment of the cones on the axle. The freewheel is threaded onto the body of the hub and had no direct connection to the axle.

Old 09-14-20, 07:45 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by alcjphil
The "gears" on that freewheel are not going to be easier to clean if the freewheel is removed from the hub. If cleaning the cogs is the goal, you need 2 chainwhips to remove them from the body of the freewheel.
No need to remove freewheel from the hub or the sprockets from the freewheel body to clean them. Use a strip of cloth soaked in mineral spirits to "floss" between the sprockets to remove grime.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-14-20, 08:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Having a house with a well equipped shop, rather than just an apartment also helps..
Old 09-14-20, 08:11 PM
KC8QVO

Thanks for the input everyone.

The freewheel assembly came off fairly easy when I spun it against the whole wheel (no chain whip). I guess I was interpreting the assembly differently than it actually works.

In any case, I got it cleaned a bit.

The bad part is the hub is toast. The races are pitted and grooved in the cones and at that point I don't trust the assembly going back together. As to how things got pitted - that I don't know. I am thinking perhaps that it was installed incorrectly with too much tension on the cones and the riders weight, plus road bumps, exacerbated it. But those races should be pretty darn hard.

The wheel was apparently replaced a few years ago, it wasn't the original wheel. The freewheel + gear assembly is original (and from what I can tell is still in pretty good shape - just a tad bit of slop in it, but nothing that stands out as being a problem yet).

Looks like I am going to be rebuilding a wheel next if I can find a decent hub.
Old 09-15-20, 08:13 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Looks like I am going to be rebuilding a wheel next if I can find a decent hub.
A couple more suggestions:

1) as long as you're replacing the hub, consider moving to a freehub system rather than a freewheel. This would bring the advantages of a stronger wheel (less likely to break the axle), compatibility with modern parts, and potentially more sprockets on the gear cluster.

2) unless you have a burning desire to build your own wheel, it is often more cost effective to buy a built wheel. You mention that the current wheel you're replacing doesn't seem to be original to the bike, so there should be little concern about using another replacement wheel.
Old 09-15-20, 08:16 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
No need to remove freewheel from the hub or the sprockets from the freewheel body to clean them. Use a strip of cloth soaked in mineral spirits to "floss" between the sprockets to remove grime.
...or coarse string like binder twine, dry, not soaked in anything. Much less messy, just needs more elbow grease. Avoids use of toxic solvents that have a way of finding their way into the water table, which should enter our minds at least long enough to say, deliberately, “Oh, eff it, can’t be bothered,” instead of just not thinking about it at all.
Likes For conspiratemus1: