Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Indoor Bike Trainer Recommendations

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 09-14-20, 02:31 PM
laparks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am looking for recommendations for an indoor bike trainer for use during the North American winter months. I used to have a Kinetic Fluid trainer and it worked ok. For the past few years I have been going to spinning classes at the local gym, but now, with COVID, I will work out at indoors when I cannot ride outdoors.

I am willing to spend up to $250 and will consider buying used on Craig's List or wherever.

I would appreciate your recommendations. If there is a better forum for this type of topic, please let me know and I will repost there.
Old 09-14-20, 02:58 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have a Kinetic and have been very satisfied. It's a "dumb" trainer but it will talk to Zwift, Trainer Road, etc. When it's properly calibrated, the power estimation is pretty good compared to my Quarq. Rock solid.
Old 09-14-20, 03:01 PM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Your KK will be better than anything you can get for $250 unless it's another KK RM (new for $249) or Rock and Roll. I would avoid their smart trainer lineup. I wouldn't bother with a used Wahoo or Taxc also. Wahoo needs the warranty (no QA/QC to speak of) and Taxc is now Garmin (getting replacement parts is now more than double when you can find it).
Old 09-15-20, 05:22 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
If you want a trainer, typiclaly called a smart trainer, that you can use with online applications like Zwift, you might be able to find Wahoo Kickr SNAP used in the $250 range, they sell for $500 new unless on sale. I've been riding one for 4 years now, love it, very reliable. But, you won't find a new smart trainer for $250.
Old 09-15-20, 05:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If you still have your old Kinetic fluid trainer, you can get one of these for $20. https://www.kurtkinetic.com/inride-p...de-sensor-only
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-16-20, 12:34 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 1,813 Posts
Second the motion for a "dumb" KK with the inRide sensor added. The resulting power numbers are really no different from what I get with a power meter (Favero Assioma). People who have smart trainers like the Wahoo Kickr really appreciate them, I think, but my Kurt Kinetic Road Machine - maybe 5-6 yearrs old, has been flawless and trouble-free.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 10-22-20, 09:21 AM
moshin

Bikes: 2019 Lynskey Helix Disc, 2018 Specialized Diverge E5, Van Moof S2, 1985 Schwinn Mesa Runner, and Unknown Bianchi Reparto Corse

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went out and bought a cadillac. The Tacx Neo 2T. Ive got no complaints a year in.... I absolutely love it.
Old 10-22-20, 09:41 AM
laparks

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. I bought a used Kinetic dumb trainer from Craig's List or FaceBook Market Place and a new $50 Kinetic sensor. I also downloaded Zwift, connected everything up and did my first indoor "ride" of the season. I still have some quirks to work out, but at least this setup will provide some conditioning.
Old 10-23-20, 09:44 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
If you have an itch for a smart trainer then Wahoo will likely have a sale around Black Friday. I think they do (or did) two sales a year. I picked up mine over the other sale period around Memorial Day at 20% off. I wouldn't be surprised if the other smart trainers are also on sale around Black Friday so you've got a month to decide. I really love my Kick Core and feel a smart trainer was the right choice, even if it was pricey.