Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

metal fork steerer cut ; can it be re-welded?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-20, 07:37 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts

I purchased a Guerciotti neuron steel bike that was upgraded with a carbon fork.
The seller threw in the very nice chrome Guerciotti fork that was cut off right where the steerer tube connects.
Would love to use this fork on a same size pista frame I have, that needs a fork.

Can it be re-welded?

If yes, should I seek out a bike builder or can any welder do this fix?

Old 09-21-20, 07:41 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I'm curious why they would do such a thing.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-21-20, 08:57 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
Normally I'd say bring it to a builder who can mill the steerer remnants out and silver in a new one. Except I hate that fork crown so much! Chrome complicates things too, though your FB might be willing to braze without removing the chrome. I think the cancer-causing hexavalent chromium fumes are more a problem with higher temperature operations, like welding. Don't take my word for it though.

Still, a decent replacement fork can be got for less than that repair would cost, so I'd start hunting in craigslist and ebay, or a shop that sells used stuff (we have a couple good ones in Seattle, not sure where you are). Even if you stick with Guerc-pantographed ones, there are several on ebay right now. If you could live with a plain crown (no logo) then choices are endless. I got 700 hits on (track,pista) fork

Good luck, let us know what you end up doing.

Mark B in Seattle
Likes For bulgie:
Old 09-21-20, 09:47 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm curious why they would do such a thing.
May have had a frozen quill and didn't want to deal with it.
Old 09-21-20, 10:10 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Normally I'd say bring it to a builder who can mill the steerer remnants out and silver in a new one. Except I hate that fork crown so much! Chrome complicates things too, though your FB might be willing to braze without removing the chrome. I think the cancer-causing hexavalent chromium fumes are more a problem with higher temperature operations, like welding. Don't take my word for it though.

Still, a decent replacement fork can be got for less than that repair would cost, so I'd start hunting in craigslist and ebay, or a shop that sells used stuff (we have a couple good ones in Seattle, not sure where you are). Even if you stick with Guerc-pantographed ones, there are several on ebay right now. If you could live with a plain crown (no logo) then choices are endless. I got 700 hits on (track,pista) fork

Mark B in Seattle
Yeah Mark, I've done that a few times before. Last time I did a chromed one I reamed out the original steerer, if you try to heat it up so it'll come loose the blades will fall out as well!.

The key to keeping the chrome intact and safe is to create an air barrier using silver flux. A lot of the flux comes right off with heat, so I apply in several layers until I build up a good "crust". To be double safe, I do this outdoors and wear a proper mask. My day job is in the semiconductor industry, we have potential exposure to a lot of nasty gases that most people will never encounter, so my work mask with proper filters is utilized.

If you look closely, some silver spilled out of the brake bolt hole in the fork crown while brazing. Rather than try and remove this, and probably damage the chrome, we figured the brake would hide it.

Might be easier and cheaper to just find a replacement, if one can be found in good shape and with a long enough steerer, as Mssr Bulgier states.

As far as ugly goes, we sold a lot of Guerc out of Orinda Spoke and Pedal in the early 80's when I worked there. I think we were one of Ten Speed Drive's top dealers, so I have a bit of nostalgia for them.
Old 09-21-20, 12:49 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Originally Posted by curbtender
May have had a frozen quill and didn't want to deal with it.
Yes, Im sure that was the case since cutting off is more difficult then detaching the quill.
Old 09-21-20, 12:56 PM
joesch

Originally Posted by gugie
Yeah Mark, I've done that a few times before. Last time I did a chromed one I reamed out the original steerer, if you try to heat it up so it'll come loose the blades will fall out as well!.

The key to keeping the chrome intact and safe is to create an air barrier using silver flux. A lot of the flux comes right off with heat, so I apply in several layers until I build up a good "crust". To be double safe, I do this outdoors and wear a proper mask. My day job is in the semiconductor industry, we have potential exposure to a lot of nasty gases that most people will never encounter, so my work mask with proper filters is utilized.

If you look closely, some silver spilled out of the brake bolt hole in the fork crown while brazing. Rather than try and remove this, and probably damage the chrome, we figured the brake would hide it.

Might be easier and cheaper to just find a replacement, if one can be found in good shape and with a long enough steerer, as Mssr Bulgier states.

As far as ugly goes, we sold a lot of Guerc out of Orinda Spoke and Pedal in the early 80's when I worked there. I think we were one of Ten Speed Drive's top dealers, so I have a bit of nostalgia for them.
Yes, need somebody with @gugie skill to do it correctly and safely. Its a nice Guerc which would have fit nicely on the target 58 pista Guerc. I did the 36@y searching and the nicer cromo+ metal forks were approx $100 with some cheaper models more iron metal for less than $50.
Old 09-21-20, 12:58 PM
joesch

Originally Posted by bulgie

Mark B in Seattle
I did the 36@y searching and must have missed those offerings. Probably close in cost to sending mine to somebody skilled like @gugie to fix and then return.
Old 09-21-20, 06:51 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
I did the 36@y searching and must have missed those offerings. Probably close in cost to sending mine to somebody skilled like @gugie to fix and then return.
Operators are standing by.