Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Someone explain to me the no-gloves trend that I keep seeing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Someone explain to me the no-gloves trend that I keep seeing

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-20, 07:43 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,030 Times in 4,470 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Only thing I can think of is the gloves were too big, blisters are caused by friction, so the hands/gloves were moving around.
Maybe, but who's putting enough pressure on their hands to get blisters? Maybe a fixed gear rider who is honking on the bars while climbing?
Old 09-22-20, 07:46 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Were there other riders on fatbikes? Have you done the same ride on a different type of bike? I'm curious if you felt the fatbike was an advantage. I guess it would be in some conditions.
There are usually a fair number of fat bikes at gravel rides in MN. I mean, they're usually in the minority, but there's a fair number.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-22-20, 07:50 AM
big john

Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,030 Times in 4,470 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
There are usually a fair number of fat bikes at gravel rides in MN. I mean, they're usually in the minority, but there's a fair number.
I was mountain biking with a friend who was on his Pugsley. The trail had steepish switchbacks filled with loose rocks and sand. He had a clear advantage in those turns.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-22-20, 07:51 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Really? I much prefer gloves so that my sweaty hands don't turn the handlebar into a disgusting mess.
This summer, I only had two or three days where my bare hands made the unwrapped portion of my aero handlebars slippery - those were very humid days and I probably wasn't wearing sun sleeves (I find that a lot of my "hand sweat" is actually arm sweat that's migrated down). The wrapped portion and hoods have never been an issue (except on a previous bike that had somewhat slippery Fizik tape on the bars).
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-22-20, 07:56 AM
WhyFi

I was mountain biking with a friend who was on his Pugsley. The trail had steepish switchbacks filled with loose rocks and sand. He had a clear advantage in those turns.
Yeah, I haven't ridden the Filthy, but I've done others where the inclines and gravel were making my rear tire (38mm) break loose, 'specially when standing - a large contact patch would probably be nice at times like those.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-22-20, 08:00 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Were there other riders on fatbikes? Have you done the same ride on a different type of bike? I'm curious if you felt the fatbike was an advantage. I guess it would be in some conditions.
The Filthy 50 has a fatbike category, there are normally a good number of fatbikes at this race, you don't see the other fatbikes cause they are a long ways behind me. ... last year, I was the fastest fatbiker

There's a long story behind this oddball set up, in brief: I got into gravel racing about 10 years ago, at that time, I'd ride my commuter bike on commuting tires or slightly wider ties with more traction. I had a really bad day riding the Almanzo course with deep/soft gravel and high-speed descents (no wrecks, but just a lot of white-knuckled descents). So I went overkill and set up my Pugsley with drop-bars to race gravel. It's a good setup for me, my bike-handling skills are weak, but I can put out power to turn over those big tires all day.

I have a typical gravel bike too, so I'll pick the bike that fits my goals and the conditions for that race.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 09-22-20, 08:22 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
I don't wear gloves for my hands, I wear gloves to wipe the sweat and crap off my face.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 09-22-20, 08:34 AM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
I've never worn gloves. Just figured they're more trouble than they're worth. 1. They cost money. 2. They get lost. 3. They have to be washed and taken care of. And what's the payoff? I know it's possible that they would help in a crash, but since getting a road bike, I've yet to have or see a crash in 10,000+ miles and 75+ group rides. I know they happen, but then should I also use a mouth guard and hip pads?

Last edited by CoogansBluff; 09-22-20 at 09:20 AM.
Likes For CoogansBluff:
Old 09-22-20, 10:01 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I don't wear gloves on short rides. First, it helps reduce tan lines. Second, HTFU so on long rides, on which I do wear gloves, I don't get hot spots.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 09-23-20, 03:44 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts

Yeah. Maybe my wife and I should start wearing gloves.
Old 09-23-20, 07:19 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I used to race cars and always wore gloves. I also always wear gloves when cycling. I wore gloves in both cases so that, irrespective of the weather and how sweaty my palms got, I always had a consistent feel for the steering wheel or handlebars. As for cycling, they are also nice to have on if you take a fall.
Likes For oldwinger14:
Old 09-23-20, 08:49 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by oldwinger14
I used to race cars and always wore gloves. I also always wear gloves when cycling. I wore gloves in both cases so that, irrespective of the weather and how sweaty my palms got, I always had a consistent feel for the steering wheel or handlebars. As for cycling, they are also nice to have on if you take a fall.
As a person that converted to gloveless riding at the start of '18, a key is the right bar tape. For gravel bikes, I use Salsa Cork tape because of the extra padding; for the road bike, I like Vento Microtex 2MM Tacky . I ride in very sweaty conditions and never had more/less grip issues versus years of wearing gloves.

If you fall, glove might be nice, but I'm not a pro and don't get paid to ride or race ... so I'll avoid riding that close to the edge of control. OTOH when I race CX, I will wear gloves because CX = hitting the ground.
Old 09-23-20, 09:37 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I am not a pro cyclist either nor do I ride on the edge often. But many falls occur at very innocent, non-threatening times such as cornering when you might hit an unexpected patch of sand, a wet surface or, perish the thought, when you forget (or cannot) unclip fast enough when coming to a stop. These are all unexpected incidents that can happen to all of us on any ride. I prefer to be prepared for these as well as my desire for a consistent feel I mentioned earlier. We both enjoy riding but look at some things from a different perspective.
Old 09-23-20, 09:43 AM
Cowboy905
total Newbie

Bikes: 2009 Look 566 Ultegra

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
sorry not everyone rides like you
Likes For Cowboy905:
Old 09-23-20, 09:52 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

To be clear, I've had one paved road fall in the last ~10 years - a wet round-a-bout at speed. I haven't had a clipless fall in 15 years; and as a gravel enthusiast, I have just enough skill (just barely enough skill) to avoid falling on sandy corners. For reference, over the last 10 years, I've biked roughly 5,000 miles per year, in all conditions, year-round (in MN). Falls can happen (I could start a YouTube channel of my winter & CX falls), but are exceptionally rare for me and therefore don't justify wearing gloves when road riding. And that's the OP question, why do you see more people riding without glove. I will not ask you (or anyone) to ride without gloves, you do you!
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 09-23-20, 10:07 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
It's how you separate Hard Men from Cupcakes.

Me? I am Team Cupcake.
Cupcakes are delicious.

Back in 1990-ish I was a Patrol Leader for the "venture patrol" in boy scouts. I had been cycling for a few years and thought it would be cool to pursue the cycling venture crew badge/certification. In order to do that i had to give a presentation to the patrol about bicycle safety equipment or some such. I caovered the topic with my scout master who was also an avid cyclist on the side.

When I finished he said, "you didn't cover gloves."
"Gloves aren't safety equipment."
"You ever crash without gloves on?"
"Hmmmm..."
"Gloves are as important as a helmet. Wear them."

In the years since I have regarded them as safety equipment. Just what I do. Sure I have ridden without them. I have also ridden without a helmet (shhhhh don't tell anyone). My default now is not only gloves but full finger gloves.

Preached this enough to the team that I had the whole masters side wearing long finger gloves. One guy wrecks and comes over and shows me the torn up gloves and complains because he still has rash on his hands. "So much for wearing gloves to protect your hands!" - "Imagine what they'd be like if you didn't have the gloves.".... "oh...hmmmm. Good point."

I don't care who wears them. I wear mine for myself.

Sure beats having a handlebar bag though.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 09-23-20, 10:48 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Someone explain to me riding without goggles.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-23-20, 11:16 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I think you misspelled sun glasses.

Old 09-23-20, 11:32 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Those don't look like sun glasses to me, it looks like triathletes who wanted to save time in a transition. Look at the ones on the guy with the cigarette!
Old 09-23-20, 01:10 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Well played
Old 09-23-20, 01:18 PM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts
I did not ride with gloves until I crashed and took a big chunk out of the palm of my hand. Now I almost always wear gloves.
Old 09-23-20, 02:21 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Those don't look like sun glasses to me, it looks like triathletes who wanted to save time in a transition. Look at the ones on the guy with the cigarette!

Old 09-23-20, 02:22 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

The look is also back for 2020

Old 09-23-20, 02:41 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
The look is also back for 2020

When the previous generation of Rapha glasses came out, the advertising imagery was unapologetically 80's -

Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-23-20, 05:55 PM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
In the winter it's too cold to ride without gloves. In the summer it's too hot and sweaty to ride without gloves. Fall and spring seem to only last about 3 hours each.

So, I always wear gloves.
I agree. no gloves in winter doesn't make sense. I sweat a lot and my hands get slick when not wearing gloves so i always wear gloves, usually with little or no padding or gel. I wiped out on my gravel bike a couple weeks ago and lost a lot of skin, including on my fingers that were not covered by my fingerless gloves.

wear gloves, or don't wear gloves just don't tell me what I should do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.