Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What to expect speed wise?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 07:25 PM
canerods

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 1.9, Fuji Roubaix 1.3, Diamondback Wildwood Trail Bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’m 72 years old,160 lbs., and pretty good physical shape but only able to manage about 11-12 mph, working fairly hard, on a fairly flat paved bike way. It’s frustrating having so many riders easily passing and not being able to go a little faster. What should I expect speed wise under those conditions? I’m thinking about a road bike instead of this flat bar. I’m wondering if it’s me the old motor or the bike? Any thoughts on a different bike?

Last edited by canerods; 07-17-18 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-17-18, 09:33 PM
PhoenixBiker 

Bikes: 2001 Waterford RST-22, 2002 Gunnar Sport, 1999 Trek 520 gravel grinder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I wouldn't sweat the speed too much. I'm 62, riding a nice road bike with drop bars, and I only average 12 to 13 mph on the rolling terrain we have here in West Virginia. Speed comes with time spent on the bike. I'm only now getting back on after a long absence (health issues). Before those issues, I started off averaging 10-11 mph but, within a year, was averaging about 15 mph. As Greg Lemond so famously said, "It never gets easier. You just go faster."

That said, if your flat-bar bike is a mountain bike with big, fat knobby tires, you'll definitely get more speed out of a road bike with skinny tires because there's less rolling resistance. Road bikes have more aggressive gearing, too.

You wouldn't happen to live in Louisiana, would you, canerods?
Old 07-17-18, 09:49 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Started riding at 60 here, 4 th year riding
avg speed going up overall , 12.2 first year, 12.6 this year
getting a little better each year.

some days ,same ride , can be near 14 mph avg
down to 11. Weather , wind & some days my output isn’t there.

All OK,
just ride & have fun
.Push yourself a bit , when you feel like it.

Niot gonna outrun those 45 & younger, male or female.

Betting its its hard for a 70 year old rider to pass you

Last edited by bogydave; 07-17-18 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-17-18, 10:16 PM
jrbz

Bikes: 3 Kona 2 Rocky Mtn 1 Bianchi 1 Miele 1 Specialized

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canerods
I’m 72 years old,160 lbs., and pretty good physical shape but only able to manage about 11-12 mph, working fairly hard, on a fairly flat paved bike way. It’s frustrating having so many riders easily passing and not being able to go a little faster. What should I expect speed wise under those conditions? I’m thinking about a road bike instead of this flat bar. I’m wondering if it’s me the old motor or the bike? Any thoughts on a different bike?
How long have you been riding? What kind of distance are you up to?
I'll be 70 next month. I raced last weekend. In my 40's I averaged 22mph on that course, now I average 15.8mph, I'm still enjoying it. Have started trying a new training method, only in the last two months but I think I've made some progress. High-intensity interval training , specifically the Vollard regimen.
A new fast road bike might give you a slight boost, but good, smart training can make a huge difference.
Old 07-18-18, 06:14 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
It might be technique, it might be equipment. At that speed, aero isn't a huge issue, so a flat bar versus a drop bar wouldn't make a difference ... plus, you can tuck down over a flat bar, it just takes more work over time.

I don't know anything about your bike or your cycling history. it could be your brakes are dragging, it could be you are using the wrong gears, it could be that you are doing everything right, and that at your level of fitness that is your natural pace right now.

I am Interested in my speed ... but I measure smiles per mile. if I always enjoyed faster rides, i would always ride faster. Instead, i ride at whatever pace I like, and I always like riding. As others have noted, your pace will naturally pick up, and if you try serious training, it could increase a lot. Depends what you want to do on your bike.

I used to take a spin class with a guy who was 82. he complained about how everything went downhill at age 77 .... he was still just as fast, but recovery from a long, hard day took longer.

I couldn't keep up with him on my best day and his worst ... and he had 25 years on me. But ... if I keep it up, I might be quicker by the time I am that age.

If you see me on the road in ten years, please at least Pretend you are working hard when you pass me.
Old 07-18-18, 06:30 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Don't get frustrated...it takes time to build speed. I'm 61yo and in year 2 of trying to ride seriously...my average speed ~13 on my road bike...when I started on my flat bar, I was happy with >10.
Old 07-18-18, 06:46 AM
Harumph

Bikes: 2018 BMC RoadMachine 02

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just takes time. I'm 60 and have been riding road bikes since 1999. I'm 5'10 and weigh 195 lbs. My average over a 60 mile course with hills is around 19.8 riding solo. In the low 20's with a couple of my riding buddies. In 1999 also was getting passed by everyone. Over time my speed and endurance increased with saddle time. Spin classes also help. Now I cycle two to three times a week and teach spin classes on occasion. It's very addictive.
Old 07-18-18, 07:09 AM
canerods

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 1.9, Fuji Roubaix 1.3, Diamondback Wildwood Trail Bike.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for those replies... interesting comments. I've returned to biking about 4 weeks ago after many years of doing nothing on a bike. So obviously, I do need a lot more biking time under my belt. I've been doing about 8 miles in the evenings with the temperatures, as in many places this summer, in the high 80s/low 90s, and I must say I'm ready for a break after about 8 miles. But, I seem to recover really quickly and could continue to ride if I wanted, it's not at all like I'm totally drained or anything. My bike has 24 gears and I mostly ride on the center sprocket on both the front and rear cassette. It has 700x32 tires. I'm not ever expecting to be anywhere near competitive, of course, just wanting to ride a bit quicker and not feel like I'm working so hard at it. That's what got me thinking that I bought the wrong bike? Maybe I just need 2 bikes??
Old 07-18-18, 07:38 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I'm not ever expecting to be anywhere near competitive, of course, just wanting to ride a bit quicker and not feel like I'm working so hard at it.
The old line I've seen attributed to both Merckx and LeMonde was "it doesn't get easier, you just get faster." With only 4 weeks at it, you will likely get a bit faster with more riding. A new bike may or may not get you a bit more speed. You'll be faster on a bike that fits you well. But outside of fit, I'm not sure the equipment makes much difference at relatively lower speeds.

I've been riding for six or seven years after a 30+ year break. I got faster in the first year and then plateaued. I expect from here out I'll just get a bit slower as I age. From my perspective, what I've learned is that "working fairly hard" isn't enough to increase speed. I can go one to two mph faster if I increase that to "working pretty hard". But I can only sustain that for an hour or so. Part of it is physical and part of it is just concentration. I ride alone and I have to really focus on "hard" to keep riding hard throughout the ride. I can get up to five mph faster holding the wheel of a better rider, but I realize when I'm doing that I'm working "really hard." So I realize that "really hard" is what I need to do to significantly increase speed. But I also realize I just don't have the drive to work that hard on solo rides. I'm doing it first and foremost for enjoyment and although I enjoy trying to do a faster ride ride from time to time, I accept that this works somewhat at cross purposes to the enjoyment factor for me. I just don't care to do that every time, so I've learned to be comfortable being a bit on the slow side.
Old 07-18-18, 07:42 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
You get faster by riding faster, not by riding more hours or more miles.

It is the same with any other form of exercise. Weight lifters get stronger by lifting more weight, not by lifting the same weight more times. A pitcher learns to throw the ball faster by throwing the ball fast, not by throwing the ball more times. A runner doesn't get fast in the 100 meters by running marathons but by running 100 meters as fast as he can, over and over and over.

Parts can help and more miles are great to build endurance but if you want to get faster then ride faster. Do exercises which push you to go near or at your limit. Intervals, tempo or just riding hard will work. You should be breathing heavy and pouring sweat. "As they say, "Hit it hard."

Make sure you pay attention to recovery - lots of sleep, good nutrition, etc. Recovery takes much longer as we age.

-Tim-
Old 07-18-18, 08:04 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

First off ... Yes, you need two bikes. To start with.

Second, you need time. Four weeks? if you can do eight miles in that heat after four weeks you are embarrassing me. Please slow down.

What I might suggest---time will increase your speed, just because every part of your body that you use while riding will grow. At some point speed won't increase much by riding longer ... but you just started.

Second, by "right gear" I mean that everyone has different best cadences ... how fast they turn the pedals. Too slow and you need huge muscles and it is inefficient. Too fast and your heart and lungs can't keep up and it is inefficient.

I rode with a guy a few months ago who rarely shifted (16 speeds i think, road bike) who and who put huge efforts into pedaling .... he was wasting a lot of energy and not using the mechanical advantage of his gearset. really made things harder on himself.

When i was young and much stronger I rode a lower cadence ... i grew up delivering newspapers and such, and standing up and grinding was what kids did on TV shows when they delivered papers. As an adult i learned that i couldn't do that and commute daily .... mostly I try to stay maybe 75-85 rpm?

Then as TimothyH notes ... after you have a good solid base of fitness, now and then, push for a little speed. Intervals are no fun but the best ... just going a little faster when you feel like it takes longer but is more fun.

When you post here again after four months you will be laughing at how much faster you got just by riding your bike around.
Old 07-18-18, 08:20 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Keep riding. As you get stronger and more comfortable on the bike, you’re going to get faster.
Old 07-18-18, 04:09 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Maybe I just need 2 bikes??
YOU ONLY HAVE ONE BIKE **********?
Of course you need another bike, "come on man "
LOL

Bike shops can sell you speed, (up to a certain point)
Then if more speed needed....the electrics come into play.

Old 07-18-18, 07:30 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I'm sure it's a bit of both. On my hybrid I'm doing well to average 13.5 mph on a 20-mile ride. On my recumbents, the standard is more like 19 or 20, maybe faster except that speed is limited by hanging back for the rest of the group.
Old 07-18-18, 08:08 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
One secret is to ride hills. Only hills make you work hard enough. Another secret is to ride for hours at a time at whatever speed you can manage. My advice is to ride away from home until you're tired, then ride back. Keep trying to ride further. People think they're tired long before they are tired like cyclists get tired. You gotta dig to see results. One thing I tell myself is that endurance starts to build when I start enduring.

And of course it all takes time. It is said that it takes 7 years of cycling to get really fit. These adaptations are slow. So work hard, but don't expect huge results. It'll be slow. And of course as you age, everything gets harder to do. You might do fine just to stay even - which is a lot better than going down hill. I'm 73 but have been really working at it since I was 50. I cruise at ~18 mph on the flat at a very moderate effort and can still ride double centuries, climb in the mountains, that sort of thing. But I was already trained before I got o-l-d. I really started to notice the drop at about 63. At 60, I was still killing it.
Old 07-19-18, 10:44 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Get rid of the cycle computer and you will lose all concern for speed. Just ride and enjoy being outside on a bike. There is more to cycling than speed.
Old 07-19-18, 11:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
*sigh*

Lower the expectations of speed and just enjoy the ride, and still being alive.

Old 07-19-18, 12:52 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Speed kills... If ya really want to do it then work on your CLIMB...
Old 07-20-18, 09:48 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
First off ... Yes, you need two bikes. To start with.

Second, you need time. Four weeks? if you can do eight miles in that heat after four weeks you are embarrassing me. Please slow down.

What I might suggest---time will increase your speed, just because every part of your body that you use while riding will grow. At some point speed won't increase much by riding longer ... but you just started.
Nailed it, all three.

I don't know about 70+, but I do know that improvement is slower the older I get. But also, improvement is greater than I thought possible at any given point in time. The key, to me, is pushing beyond the comfort zone be it distance, pace, cadence, hills or whatever, and the gradual improvement just happens.
Old 07-20-18, 10:12 AM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
There's always going to be people out there who are faster than you and people slower than you. Neither matters unless you are the faster jerk who doesn't give me an "on your left" or bell ring when you pass me. The only thing that does matter is that you are out there riding and hopefully encouraging others to ride. The main reason I try to go faster is to be able to take a longer ride in the time I have.
Old 07-20-18, 11:49 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
speed = torque x RPM
Mash 'em harder, go faster.
See if you can find a gym that has a Nautilus squat machine (and most importantly, A trainer that knows WTF he's doing).. work on your leg strength
Old 07-20-18, 12:15 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,027 Posts
I quit worrying about speed and count time as the more important factor. I avg 12.7 mph on gravel that includes hills, flats and descents. I have a simple Cateye Velo 7 computer to log time and distance in a notebook. Some days I will sprint a flat for the heck of it. If I was training for a race I Would have a different approach but cardiovascular fitness is my goal. Cycling isn’t the only hobby I love fishing and hiking and considering weight training again 3 years after hernia surgery
Old 07-25-18, 10:45 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
Get rid of the cycle computer and you will lose all concern for speed. Just ride and enjoy being outside on a bike. There is more to cycling than speed.
Came here to say this. I too started being concerned about speed and bought a cycle computer to map my rides and keep track of speeds. After a while I realized I was missing out on a lot of stuff, all the nature, pretty houses (awful ones too) and other sites to see. So I just realized it was becoming something I didn't want, more stress in an already stress filled life, and a competition with myself that I didn't even care to be in.

So, I ride a slow even pace now. I joke that little old ladies on walkers often pass me. I still use the cycle computer to keep track of WHERE I went, but I hardly look at the speed any more. And, just now I just checked for the firs time in a few years, over 5 years of records I manage an astounding 10 mph average. But I enjoy it more and actively look for things to see and sites to behold and vistas to enjoy. It's therapeutic. One trick I learned is if I see something really interesting is to make a bunch of loops right where I see it, that way when I import the computer info to my SportTracks program I can see where it was I saw something on the map by the loops in the output. My wife doesn't ride and we've often taken the car and gone back to a place where I saw a pretty house, or field or whatever. It makes here at least a small part of my cycling.
Old 07-25-18, 11:41 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I'm 46 and ride with a 72 yr old Tom, who is easily the strongest rider in our group of 12. I currently have an FTP (20 mins.) of about 220 watts. This 72 yr old is probably pushing about 250 watts for that same duration. On serious climbs, when he passes me, it's hard to tell if he's even breathing, and his cadence is so much less than mine. I can't wait to be 70+ like Tom, and kicking the butts of the young'uns.
Old 07-25-18, 01:57 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Rootman
Came here to say this. I too started being concerned about speed and bought a cycle computer to map my rides and keep track of speeds. After a while I realized I was missing out on a lot of stuff, all the nature, pretty houses (awful ones too) and other sites to see. So I just realized it was becoming something I didn't want, more stress in an already stress filled life, and a competition with myself that I didn't even care to be in.
bravo.

I used to have a computer mounted on the stem. One day i was looking at it and thinking, "I need to go faster now if I am going to have a higher average than my last ride"-----then I realized I was riding my bike and looking at a number on a screen.

I still record all my ride data, but I keep the screen shut off. I will never lose another minute of my riding time worrying about how my numbers will look after the ride because i won't even see them until after the ride.

Nothing wrong with riding to a power meter or whatever. Nothing wrong with that style of riding ... but i ride for the pleasure, and when i start worrying about performance .... as perspective ... my best performance Might win me a race in the Special Olympics .... but probably not. The fast folk have a reason to care .... but my rides are more comedy performances, or maybe tragedies, than athletic performances.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.