Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Motobecane Grand Touring Identification Help?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-20, 04:51 PM
Coraso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello! I am fairly new to the biking world in general, and certainly new to bike rebuilding. First post. so just wanted to start out saying I'm so thankful I found this community. It has already been a super helpful tool for me and I've used it to answer so many questions. Looking forward to being a regular member. I wanted a project to work on and recently bought an old 70's Motobecane frame on Ebay with the goal of rebuilding it. Yes, I know the headache I've got myself into, buying an old French frame. This will be a very long-term project for me, haha.

Anyway, my first step in this process was just to simply identify the exact model this bike originally was. I thought I had done that before I bought it, but foolishly missed a key item that threw a wrench into what I thought it was and I cannot make any sense of it. After examining the picture and looking through the Motobecane catalogues online, the fact that it is 1020 steel and green paint, It seemed obviously a 1974 model. In 1976, they switched to VITUS tubing.

However, the frame I bought does not appear to have any trace of down tube shifters. The only year Motobecane GT had stem shifters rather than down tube was 1975, according to the catalogue. But green wasn't a color option in that year, so it can't be 1975.

I have only found one other mention of a frame like this on the internet. On another forum someone said they had a lime green Moto GT with stem shifters, which sounds like the same model I have. They didn't get an answer.

So now I am questioning what I thought I bought.
I unfortunately just realized I can't upload a picture until I have 10 posts

Does anyone have any insight into what this frame could be? Anything would be so appreciated. Thank you!
Old 04-21-20, 05:24 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
Pic assist

Old 04-21-20, 05:24 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Presumably this one, recently sold on eBay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTOBECANE-...p2047675.l2557

If so, the ad photos show some scratching around where a clamp-on downtube shifter used to be,

Color and frame is consistent with the 1974 model.
bulgier.net - /pics/bike/catalogs/Motobecane/74/

Old 04-21-20, 09:09 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

count yourself fortunate the brake bridge ferrule was not lost

here is the manufacturer's specification crosstable for 1974 which lists the machine's original kitting -

-----
Old 04-22-20, 07:16 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
Nice find! I've got a 1976 GT with all original components if you're looking for a guide when restoring your '74. I really like that green frame. I haven't seen one of those yet.

Old 04-22-20, 12:47 PM
Coraso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you both so much for the help with the pictures! That is indeed the frame I bought from Ebay.

Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
Presumably this one, recently sold on eBay?

If so, the ad photos show some scratching around where a clamp-on downtube shifter used to be,

I wasn't sure whether the downtube shifters on Motobecanes were clamp on or not, but that absolutely makes sense. I scoured Google Images to try to find a matcha and look at the shifters. I thought I remember coming across one that had the original shifters removed which showed more obvious signs on the frame of its former placement. Anyway, you have reassured me that the wear seen in the picture of my frame is from a clamped DT shifter, making it indeed a '74 frame.

I'll probably end up starting a new thread at some point in the future once I get going, but I have one initial question. My initial thought behind this frame was to give it updated, new parts as much as possible, not necessarily going for a pure original rebuild. However I also want to make things as uncomplicated as possible, as far as finding parts, modifications, etc. so I'm realizing going a more original-focused rout might be the easiest.

Anyway, I'm struggling with what kind of wheels I should look for. Scouring the forums, I've seen many people suggest updating to 700c wheel sets. However, I understand this would require cold-setting the frame spacing to 130mm from its current 120mm. Something I'm willing to do, but would like to avoid if possible. The only other option I guess is hunting down original sized 27 x 1 1/4 wheels with 120mm spacing or building my own, which seems difficult. Are there any other solutions? What would you experienced c&v enthusiasts suggest for my situation?