Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Advice on old Motobecane

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Advice on old Motobecane

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 07:02 AM
partyanimal

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 34 Posts
Advice on old Motobecane

Hope this in the correct forum. I recently relocated from NYC to the Hartford, CT area and my single speed city bike isn't quite cutting it here with the hills. I have my mind set on a new road bike that won't be available for a few months so until then I picked up this old Motobecane Super Mirage on Facebook Marketplace. I'm definitely going to replace the saddle and pedals and tune it up. Right now it has tubeless rims/tires - which I know nothing about. I'm a bigger guy and like my tires as close to max pressure as I can get, just feels like a better ride to me. And I have no idea how to work with these so was thinking about ditching these and getting some new wheels but I have no idea where to start or what would fit on here. Here's a description of the bike:
"Motobecane Super Mirage. 1970s, 24" frame, 26" rims. Suntour V-GT 10 Speed gearing. Weinmann 610/Vainoueur 999 Center pull brakes. 'No more flats tubeless tires"
Any recommendations for decent commuter/road wheels for this guy? Something on the cheaper side preferably - probably keep it as an extra guest bike when I get my new one.
Old 07-14-20, 07:17 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 280 Posts
Motobecanes are really great riding bikes. I'm sure you'll love that one. It most likely has 27" rims (not 26" as the ad stated, or 700c which is the modern standard). If you get a 700c wheelset, the existing brakes probably won't reach the rims (smaller diameter). I'd suggest just getting some nicer tires. 27" is a little more limited selection, (but lots of good advice on that here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ce-thread.html).

And for tire pressure, I am a convert to lower is both a better ride, and not slower:
https://www.renehersecycles.com/myth...ure-is-faster/
Old 07-14-20, 07:20 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
This is a fine old bicycle. I used to own one. I would sink as little money into this as possible while making it work for your needs. It has good quality parts. The derailleurs are very good. The wheels are alloy. There is no reason to change them out. You may need to change the tires depending on how old they are but they look fine in the picture. For new tires (and these should be 27 inch wheels) get a quality tire such as a Panaracer, a Schwalbe, or a Continental.

What this bike does need is an overhaul. That's not hard to do and there are videos online. You will want to replace the ball bearings and grease in the hubs, the bottom bracket, and headset. A new saddle makes sense. I like WTB saddles. It's a good design and they come in different price points.

I would swap out the chain (get a cheap KMC 6-7 speed chain, it's good and strong), the cables and cable housing, and new tape.

Then just ride the heck out of it.
Old 07-14-20, 07:22 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by jeirvine
Motobecanes are really great riding bikes. I'm sure you'll love that one. It most likely has 27" rims (not 26" as the ad stated, or 700c which is the modern standard). If you get a 700c wheelset, the existing brakes probably won't reach the rims (smaller diameter). I'd suggest just getting some nicer tires. 27" is a little more limited selection, (but lots of good advice on that here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ce-thread.html).

And for tire pressure, I am a convert to lower is both a better ride, and not slower:
https://www.renehersecycles.com/myth...ure-is-faster/
Good advice but I'm fairly certain those brakes will reach for 700c. I used to own a Motobecane Super Mirage and I know I converted the wheels to 700c for a tour that I did without a hitch.

Agreed that the wheels are very likely 27 inch and there is no reason to swap these out unless there is a real problem with one of the wheels.
Old 07-14-20, 07:24 AM
wintermute

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1986 Kuwahara ATB, 2006 Bianchi Volpe, 2016 Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Nice bike! It appears to be a 1979 - you can find the old catalogs online. Unless there's something wrong with them, keep the wheels. As far as tubeless rims - I doubt it - you'll probably need conventional tubes and clincher tires. Alot of people round here use Panaracer Paselas on their 27" rims - it's a great tire.
Old 07-14-20, 07:29 AM
bikemig 

For saddles, everyone has a different favorite. Also with the pandemic, supply chains are messed up and parts are getting harder to come. I like the WTB pure saddle a lot,

https://www.wtb.com/collections/saddles/products/pure

For 27 inch tires, Pasela protite wirebead 27 x 1 and 1/4 is a good choice. They are a good balance between light weight and flat protection. The 27 inch Schalbe marathon tires are also a very good choice and should have better flat protection.

For tape, any cork type with some gel will work. I like planet bike tape. Planet bike makes good products and they plow part of their revenue stream back into cycling which is why I like to support them. Plus they carry small parts for anything they sell which is unusual and worth supporting.
Old 07-14-20, 07:32 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Something doesn’t add upp.

While not entirely impossible, I highly doubt those are 26” wheels.
27” AKA 630 mm would be far more probable. Or 28” AKA 700C AKA 622 mm.
And tubeless, on that bike, with original wheels - also unlikely.
TUBULAR tires would be more likely. Which would put the wheels in the 28”/700C/622 mm dia.
Bell makes/made tire inserts under the name ”No-Mor flats”. Never heard of it as a tire name. Perhaps that’s what an earlier owner has fitted.
Your rear axle spacing is probably narrower than most current wheels. While possible, simply pulling the frame apart and shoving a wheel in there isn’t a great idea. Spreading the frame can seem daunting but is generally quite doable. You could pick up a freewheel wheel and fit a 5-speed f/w.
Old 07-14-20, 07:40 AM
partyanimal

Some great advice here. I'll definitely look into keeping the wheels and just replacing the tires/tubes. Knowing absolutely nothing about the tubeless stuff, wasn't sure if I needed a different rim. I already have pedals/saddle that I like. I've had a Brooks B17 on my single speed for years and I love it so I already bought one of those to throw on. I'll probably move that to my new bike when I get it. I'll also throw the shimano dual SPD/Platform pedals on there from my SS and put the old platforms back on that for mashing around town. Replacing the tape for sure. I'll check out some of the tire recommendations here. Thanks all!
Likes For partyanimal:
Old 07-14-20, 07:46 AM
acm

Bikes: '84 Centurion Pro Tour 15; '97 Cannondale M900

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
You have yourself a fine bike there. I have a later model moto Mirage Sport, from their Danish market so it's done up as more of a commuter (which is exactly what I use mine for).

Don't swap out the wheels unless they're causing you a problem. That's expensive, especially if you don't want to build the wheel yourself. Swap back to tubular if you don't want to mess around with the tubeless setup.

Confirm the wheel size (on the side of the rim) before you go tire-shoppin'. Those don't look like 26". A good set of Panaracer Protites or Schwables give you a happy, risk-averse ride. Panaracers in 27" are very hard to find right now but I was able to pick up a set of Scwables a couple days ago.
Old 07-14-20, 07:55 AM
partyanimal

Originally Posted by dabac
Something doesn’t add upp.

While not entirely impossible, I highly doubt those are 26” wheels.
27” AKA 630 mm would be far more probable. Or 28” AKA 700C AKA 622 mm.
And tubeless, on that bike, with original wheels - also unlikely.
TUBULAR tires would be more likely. Which would put the wheels in the 28”/700C/622 mm dia.
Bell makes/made tire inserts under the name ”No-Mor flats”. Never heard of it as a tire name. Perhaps that’s what an earlier owner has fitted.
Your rear axle spacing is probably narrower than most current wheels. While possible, simply pulling the frame apart and shoving a wheel in there isn’t a great idea. Spreading the frame can seem daunting but is generally quite doable. You could pick up a freewheel wheel and fit a 5-speed f/w.
Yeah, as others said, it's probably not a 26" wheel but that's what it said in his description. Just picked it up last night so haven't had a chance to go over it fully. Doing some research, I'm also guessing it's one of those Bell no-morflats, there's no stem at all sticking out. The wheel feels inflated, not super solid, but enough to keep me going at about 240lbs. While the prospect of not getting flats, I like to have a little more control of tire pressure etc.
Old 07-14-20, 10:41 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Tire sizing is pretty esoteric. Go by the size printed on the tire that’s currently on the rim. I think some sellers just measure the rim diameter and use that in their ad copy. That is not the tire size. Nice bike!
Old 07-14-20, 10:53 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Cool bike. My first decent quality bike was a Motobecane Super Mirage, and I still have warm fuzzy feelings for them...

There's no way that those are tubeless tires/rims. They did not exist until just a few years ago. It's possible they could have some sort of thorn resistant tube, or airless 'tube'. Those have been around forever.

The tire and rims size will be written somewhere on the rims and tires. Might be faded on the tires. Almost certainly they are 27 x 1 1/4" (ISO 630). Those look like Weinmann rims.

At any rate, I agree with the others that have said there's no need to replace parts or spend too much. I recommend all new consumables: tires, tubes, rim liner, brake pads, cables, bar tape, and (maybe) a new chain. Lastly get a new saddle because that one is hideous.

Undoubtedly all the bearings at this point are long overdue for a complete overhaul. Spend the money on tools, not parts. Clean and repack the hubs, BB, and headset. Take apart, clean and and regrease/relube everything else as well. These bikes are pretty easy to work on really.

There's some slight chance that the pedals are French threaded, but probably not. Can't remember. You will find out.
Old 07-14-20, 11:13 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
You have gotten good advice. Good that your new bike won't be available for a few months because by then, you may decide to upgrade to a top tier Vintage Motobecane and postpone indefinitely your new bike plans.
Old 07-14-20, 02:51 PM
Cheseldine

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 21 Posts
I have that same bike - it's a '76 if the seat tube sticker says 1020. The wheels are not tubular, they are 27" clincher.

Here's the '76 catalog scan:

Here is mine, thoroughly gone over and converted to downtube shifters with some help thanks to mountaindave .

Likes For Cheseldine:
Old 07-14-20, 03:12 PM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Yes indeed that is a very nice bike, I had one like that in high school, didn't use it too much in college, then used it again in graduate school from 82-85. One problem I had was not being aware of changes in tire and rim design that happened in between. So, when I got new tires to put it back into use, I inflated the tires up to what the tires said they would hold, but beyond what the rim would hold the tire. Result: Tire would bulge off the rim and burst. So you want tires with WIRE BEADS (not folding tires), and you want to keep the inflation to about 80 pounds.

When I bought it the shop changed the shifters to down-tube for me, and either I or the shop cut of the "safety levers."
Old 07-14-20, 03:16 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
That's either a 76 or 77. I had a 76 in the same color, originally came with 27" clinchers. 76/77 had the top tube cable guides at the five o'clock position, like yours, After that they went to the top of the top tube. I actually used the bike as a commuter and even touring bike for years, with some component changes along the way.

Those look like they might be original brake pads. Getting two pairs of Kool Stop Continental pads would be a good idea. If you skulk about on the local Craigslist, you might find somebody selling old 27" wheels fairly cheap.
Old 07-14-20, 09:11 PM
partyanimal

Had a chance to look it over a bit more today. They're indeed 27X1-1/4 wheels and the no-morflats airless tubes. Got to change the pedals and saddle. Still needs new bar tape and a tune up but just changing those things makes for a lot better ride. I don't have the equipment or the knowledge to adjust derailers or true wheels so I'll take it into a bike shop for that - need to find a new one in town anyway. Included a few pics of along with serial number - if anyone is familiar with them.
Appreciate all the advice. I do have one question: anyone off hand know if the seat post is standard diameter? Looks a little smaller. I have the post about as high as it will safely go but prefer my seat a little higher so was hoping to replace the tube.

Old 07-14-20, 09:38 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Fork looks bent in last photos, could just be camera angle
Old 07-15-20, 01:12 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,456 Times in 3,192 Posts
Originally Posted by partyanimal
I don't have the equipment or the knowledge to adjust derailers or true wheels so I'll take it into a bike shop for that.
That would be a screwdriver and a $10 spoke wrench. I like the 3-sided Park Tool SW-7:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Park-Tool-S...YAAOSw7i5e6Q00

Before you start going into a shop for the most basic service, think about the time you'll spend bringing it in and waiting through the shop's current high demand. Each wheel will cost at least $15 each time they make the smallest tweaks to the spokes...
Old 07-15-20, 04:29 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
Although 27.2 is sometimes called "standard" size, there are many different sizes. I think there's virtually no chance your post is 27.2. Take the post out and look for a size stamped on it. It could be hard to see if there's rust and dirt on it.

Last edited by John Nolan; 07-15-20 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-15-20, 06:20 AM
Peruano
Biker

Bikes: Boone McReynolds, Centurion Pro Tour

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 61 Posts
If it really has no valve stems, and the solid (heavy) rubber tube replacements it may be a chore to dismantle them. Ditch those "tubes" and tires asap but gently so as to not bend the rims. Use a local bike shop if you problems. I've had to cut those damned tube replacements to get them off the wheels on kids bikes. Nice bike.
Old 07-15-20, 07:40 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,394 Times in 694 Posts
I had a very similar '75 Motobecane Grand Touring, which radically changed how I view bike boom era 10-speeds. Rather than pay a shop, buy the tools mentioned above by SurferRosa and go snag a copy of Tom Cuthbertson's Anybody's Bike Book - the period-correct manual for this bike. That book, along with Eugene Sloan's Complete Book of Bicycling and Richard Ballentine's Richard's Bicycle Book taught me everything I needed to keep my bikes rolling smoothly in the mid 70s. Should you choose to replace the airless tubes and tires, I would steer you toward's Panaracer Pasela 27 x 1 1/4 tire at 70 psi or so, the classic setup used by boatloads of people for years. You'll be stunned by how well it rides.
Old 07-15-20, 09:09 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by partyanimal
Included a few pics of along with serial number - if anyone is familiar with them.
Appreciate all the advice. I do have one question: anyone off hand know if the seat post is standard diameter? Looks a little smaller. I have the post about as high as it will safely go but prefer my seat a little higher so was hoping to replace the tube.
Motobecane serial numbers are all over the place. There's a thread on here about them.

Re: seat post, both my former 76 and current 78 Super Mirages came with 25.4mm seat posts. If you pull yours, it should be inscribed somewhere on the post.
Old 07-16-20, 11:33 AM
partyanimal

Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
Motobecane serial numbers are all over the place. There's a thread on here about them.

Re: seat post, both my former 76 and current 78 Super Mirages came with 25.4mm seat posts. If you pull yours, it should be inscribed somewhere on the post.
Yeah, as someone noted above, if 27.2 is considered "standard" this is probably 25.4. It definitely seems a little smaller.

As for the changing out the nomorflats with tubes, gonna definitely leave that to the bike pros. I can change tubes/tires etc but I'm a bit of a bull in a china shop and I'd rather not ruin the rims.