Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Best Performance

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Best Performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-20, 09:47 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Best Performance

Although I don't train in any structured way and at my advanced age the Olympics is not in my future, the subject is an interesting one. An article in The Sunday NY times today followed several world class athletes and their training during lock down and canceled events. It seems that the strain of training continuously, frequent travel and sleeping in strange beds and not quite enough sleep, not allowing enough time to heal and or recover or to really work on refining technique has effected achieving best performance. The result of a less pressurized environment has been personal bests and world record performances for the athletes followed. For those of you who do train seriously it would be worth tracking down the article.
Likes For berner:
Old 08-30-20, 11:05 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Although I don't train in any structured way and at my advanced age the Olympics is not in my future, the subject is an interesting one. An article in The Sunday NY times today followed several world class athletes and their training during lock down and canceled events. It seems that the strain of training continuously, frequent travel and sleeping in strange beds and not quite enough sleep, not allowing enough time to heal and or recover or to really work on refining technique has effected achieving best performance. The result of a less pressurized environment has been personal bests and world record performances for the athletes followed. For those of you who do train seriously it would be worth tracking down the article.
Drug testing has been essentially non-existent the last six months, so there's that...

I mean, the 5000m world record, previously held by arguably the greatest runner ever, set in the peak of the EPO era, was just broken. It's kind of a joke.
Old 08-30-20, 11:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
I'm not certain what you are getting at.

In my case, there are certain climbs and other segments that I will get a new personal best on after being off the bike for a week or two. But since I like to ride more than I care to get a personal best, I'll just keep riding as often as I want.

Likewise, of course frequency, sleep, stresses from travel and need to perform affect both professionals cyclists and all cyclists. If we were to have enough rest and time to de-stress between each ride, our performance overall will suffer more. I think it unlikely my body would have built itself up to the level capable of making that PR if prior to that week or two off the bike I hadn't rode 14 of the previous 17 days.

So what's the point?
Old 08-30-20, 02:51 PM
rubiksoval

I think the point is dialing back the overall stress in your life can have a positive impact on your sport performance.

Of course, it fails to take into account the fact that all the stuff off the bike is probably orders of magnitude more important than the on the bike stuff, so really, it's not applicable at all.

I mean, sure, it'd be great to not have to work for six months, get up whenever you feel like it, go train for a few hours, and then spend the rest of your time lounging on the couch in peace and quiet, but seriously, who has time for that? Not me.
Old 08-31-20, 04:39 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I am no expert but I think what happens is your body resets itself when you take an extended period of rest from a rigid and intense training schedule. Training hard and living a performance oriented lifestyle creates a lot of stress and eventually all that stress will start to have a negative impact on your mind and body....Stress is stress no matter where it comes from and your mind and body deals with stress induced by exercise in the same way as any other form of stress in life. It's perfectly ok to take a break once in a while, you will come back stronger and make new gains.
Old 08-31-20, 04:54 AM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts
There is a lot of evidence that sometimes less is more in training. Bill Bowerman was a track coach at the University of Oregon in the 1970s. He had great success by having his track athletes train less. He was a co-founder of Nike with Phil Knight.

I have not read the article. But I suspect the point is that A type achievers tend work hard and think harder is always better. My kids had some coaches like that in high school and college sports. But harder is not always better.

I have a long way to go before I worry about over training. But the principle behind getting stronger is to stress the body and then give it time to heal and grow stronger. You get stronger while resting.

And general healthy lifestyle has bigger benefits than many realize. No matter how hectic your schedule, you can always make improvements.
Old 08-31-20, 05:11 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by cubewheels
I actually did my best performance when I started training much longer hours with more hills, and with much less rest/recovery period per week.
That's because you were completely untrained.
Old 08-31-20, 05:58 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I read that article. My impression was that there is a big difference in training for a single personal best in a sport and what is required to make a living out of that sport.

Yes, less travel and more sleep is better. But, most athletes (like most non-athletes) can't pay the bills with one great performance per year. That article has a baseball player example - I think he was forced away from training camp because of an injury and when he came back he hit 2 grand slams. But, I just checked - he is now slightly below his career averages in batting categories - now that he has to play every day and travel, etc.

Yes, over-training is usually counterproductive but that doesn't mean that under-training is productive - I doubt the baseball teams would carry a player who said "I will only play twice per week, only at home games" on the roster even if he hit really, really well twice per week at home games...
Old 08-31-20, 09:12 AM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
I read that article. My impression was that there is a big difference in training for a single personal best in a sport and what is required to make a living out of that sport.
You raise a good point about the difference between training to peak for a particular event versus training to perform on a daily basis. But I think people who enjoy working out can over train and often do not give themselves enough rest.
Old 08-31-20, 12:07 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
There is a big difference in achieving a personal best or world record in a casual training environment versus under the pressure of an event such as the olympics, world championship or special event that enforce all event protocols. Some athletes can perform under pressure and some cannot.

And there is cyclicality of human performance systems. I have attended a Thursday training session with my coach at the velodrome with a planned race on Sunday. Sometimes I had my race day on Thursday and my training day on Sunday. Meaning I had great legs on Thursday and so so legs on Sunday even following all the rest and sleep protocols. So it goes.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 09-01-20, 08:55 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
There is great variability in performance and the capacity to recover.. The article referred specifically to world class or near world class athletes. If such a person has found a way to improve performance,even by a small percentage, it seems to me a serious athlete looking to improve would look into the reason for a sudden improvement.
Likes For berner: