Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano with Rotor Arms

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano with Rotor Arms

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-20, 02:14 AM
Lasue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Shimano with Rotor Arms

Hi Guys!

I am short (5ft 2in) and ride currently an older Litespeed with Shimano 6603 with 165 arm crank. I am starting to train for ultra distances and audax and realized, I need shorter arms and would prefer a double crank really. I am on a budget and just found a super deal on Rotor Aldhu 155 arms with 24 axle, 2 spacers and the gaskets.

Now I am looking for a solution that is affordable and if these Aldhu arms would somehow work with, for example, a double crank Dura Ace 7800 BB and rings (because I have this laying around) or at least provisionally, with the 6603 crank (although I believe the chainline would be really fouled up)?

Option 3 is, I buy the necessary parts from Rotor to make these arms work but I am not even sure what parts I would need (other than a Rotor DM Spider with 130BCD?

I considered just buying a cheaper 155 arm crank with square tapering (like a Stronglight) but I would prefer to spend a bit more and get the Rotor setup in case I decide to change out my components to 11sp, buy a new bike, etc because the Rotor would be fine on anything newer as well...

Thank you for all of your input. I find it difficult to get answers to "short girl on a budget riding big distances" problems.

Last edited by Lasue; 09-11-20 at 02:38 AM. Reason: add question
Old 09-11-20, 03:42 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Just checked the Rotor site. They state specifically that it's compatible w/ any 24mm bottom bracket. It sounds like it's definitely not compatible w/ your old Shimano chainrings. The only option would be to find a spider that would attach the Rotor arm and have either a 110mm or 130mm (your preference for c-ring size) 5 arm spider. I didn't see anything like this on the interwebs so I'm guessing you're gonna have to buy the Rotor spider and chainrings.
Old 09-14-20, 06:36 AM
Lasue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yeah, I also came to this conclusion. It seems they have 4 arm 130 spiders and 5 arm 110 spiders but no 5arm 130 spider...which sucks. I donīt think it is as easy as buying a rotor spider and then chainrings that fit it though... I am guessing there are further "bits," but I am not sure. Concerned that if I replace the spider and chainrings but use my old hollowtech BB, the chainline will be incorrect. So far, Rotor has not answered any of my inquiries and the shops I have called were also not helpful.

Planned obsolescence within the bike industry is tiring to me. It also results in lots of environmental waste and frustration for people that like their existing group but need to alter some parts. Granted, the planned obsolescence affects me as much as the industry ignoring the requirements of anyone under 5ft 4in....but that is a whole new thread, I guess.

Thanks for your feedback anyways, cxwrench!
Old 09-14-20, 03:11 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
If you are OK with 160mm, Shimano does make the 105 crankset in 160mm length:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-105...cAAOSwyJRfIRve

If you must have 155mm, here is another alternative:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BBK-155mm-C...sAAOSwLz1fNyWR
This one will require a different bottom bracket.