Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Heart rate monitors

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Heart rate monitors

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-03, 09:52 AM
Justen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heart rate monitors

How many people here use heart rate monitors when you're cycling ?
Are they worth the money. I have no idea as to which one to get or how much money I should be spending to get something decent or worthwhile. I just want to know that I am exercising at the right intensity to realize significant gains in weight loss and fitness.

I am going to buy a book that somebody here recommended but would appreciate hearing any personal experiences with these monitors.

Justen
Old 07-28-03, 10:25 AM
Bruco
Wind Breaker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
HRMs can be quite helpful for training. They can help you to establish the 'intensity' at which you are/should be riding, to vary between different forms of training (endurance, intervals, etc.), to monitor the effectiveness of your cycling style, etc.

I cannot decide whether you would need a HRM. Weight loss and fitness can also be achieved without one, I think. But adding a HRM might make things more interesting or efficient. Personally, I enjoy the input of extra data (without becoming a HRM slave).

These are the HRM functions I personally need:
- timer/stopwatch
- current HR
- adjustable training zones (see other posts)
- registration of time within/under/above training zone
- average HR
- maximum HR

These can be found on entry-level, fairly inexpensive HRMs. I use a Sigma PC1600 (has some more options, such as estimation of calory loss--not that I really care). It cost me somewhere around 40 Euros.

If you have got money to burn, then you could also go for the fancy, high-tec stuff such as the Polar s-series or the Ciclosport HAC4. These devices are complete HRMs, bicycle computers, weather stations etc. in one. Plus they can download ride data etc. to/from your computer.

Good luck!
Old 07-28-03, 01:04 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12196 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
Hi,
I take the opposite view, at least for someone new to HRM training. I got a fancy monitor and found it a royal pain in the arse. It was much easier to just use the basic heart monitor function, and then write it down immediately after the ride (don't forget the logbook). You can get a basic Polar HRM watch dirt cheap these days; and it will do everything that needs to be done.
Old 07-28-03, 01:45 PM
Castanza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my HR Monitor, and I use it for both running & cycling. I would recommend getting a book on heart monitors, maybe John Parkers, Heart Monitor Training. This may help you decide what you want. Most of us probably don't use all of the features on the higher end units, but I like the versatility. I am very competitive, and I believe that is a major factor. If you aren't into racing, and trying to get really fast, and etc. you probably won't need all of the bells & whistles. Personally I like the Polar products, and they have excellent customer service.

I don't race bikes, but I do compete in running events. I find that when I want to have a easy day, but using the monitor, it is a real asset. I tend to go overboard at times, especially when I am with a group, or feeling really good. You will be suprised how sometimes, just riding in a group, gets your adrenaline flowing, and you don't realize just how hard you are working. That is okay if you aren't concern with hard/easy days.

You also can check your resting/max with any of the models. I would be lost without mine.
Old 07-28-03, 02:42 PM
firebolt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GET IT!

I got Polar A5 ($90) a couple of days ago and I started to listen what my body told me to do, instead of what my bike told me to do. Before, it's like "you are now below the average speed. Go faster." But now, "ease up a bit. You are going lactic (mine is at 160bpm)." You know what, using HRM actually improve my average speed and I feel more refreshed after the ride.
Old 07-28-03, 02:46 PM
Justen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Bruco
HRMs can be quite helpful for training. They can help you to establish the 'intensity' at which you are/should be riding, to vary between different forms of training (endurance, intervals, etc.), to monitor the effectiveness of your cycling style, etc.
Hi,

Wow..thanks for all the great info !! I went to a couple of stores today and the one monitor that I liked the best was the Polar A5. It is not too expensive but I believe it has all the features you mentioned.

I have done without a HRM for many years but am thinking now that I am cycling more for fitness and exercise instead of just leisure that I would like to see what exactly is going on with my body when I am cycling and get more feedback on my overall effort.

Apparantly it also monitors calories expended. I wasn't really looking for this feature as I am sure there is an easy formula to figure it out from your maximum heart rate. Anyway, thanks again for your suggestions.

Justen
Old 07-28-03, 03:32 PM
Justen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by firebolt
GET IT!

I got Polar A5 ($90) a couple of days ago and I started to listen what my body told me to do, instead of what my bike told me to do. Before, it's like "you are now below the average speed. Go faster." But now, "ease up a bit. You are going lactic (mine is at 160bpm)." You know what, using HRM actually improve my average speed and I feel more refreshed after the ride.
Yeah..I think it will be good. I generally do tend to sort of go with how my body feels but just want the extra feedback to know how I am really doing.

I was just wondering - since you got the same model as I am planning to buy :

Does it have a calorie burning feature where it tells you how many calories you have burnt during a ride/run ?

How do you figure out your maximum heart rate ?

Justen
Old 07-28-03, 03:52 PM
firebolt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Justen
Yeah..I think it will be good. I generally do tend to sort of go with how my body feels but just want the extra feedback to know how I am really doing.

I was just wondering - since you got the same model as I am planning to buy :

Does it have a calorie burning feature where it tells you how many calories you have burnt during a ride/run ?

How do you figure out your maximum heart rate ?

Justen
Yes, it tells you how many calories you've burned. I don't know how accurate, though. It also calculates your BMI (body mass index).

The A5 uses the "220 - age" method to calculate your maximum heart rate.
Old 07-28-03, 04:05 PM
Justen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by firebolt
Yes, it tells you how many calories you burned. I don't know how accurate, though. It also calculates your BMI (body mass index).

The A5 uses the "220 - age" method to calculate your maximum heart rate.
Hi,

Thanks for replying. I am not sure how accurate that method is either but I think they use that formula on most of the machines at the gym too.

I just want to get some idea of how much calories I am burning - even if it is just a ballpark figure.

I wonder how accurate the BMI calculation is that it does.

Anyway, thanks again,

Justen
Old 07-28-03, 04:15 PM
Justen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Castanza
I like my HR Monitor, and I use it for both running & cycling. I would recommend getting a book on heart monitors, maybe John Parkers, Heart Monitor Training. This may help you decide what you want. Most of us probably don't use all of the features on the higher end units, but I like the versatility.
I am going down to the local bookstore today to look at some books. I will check out the one you mention. Somebody else mentioned the Heart monitor book for cyclists. I would like to understand the different features on the monitors better and find out which ones would be most important to me.

I would like to get a decent monitor so even if I don't find all the features helpful now, they might become more important later on.

So far, the Polar A5 looks pretty good and I believe Polar is supposed to be a pretty good brand.

Anyway, thanks for the tips !

Justen
Old 07-28-03, 07:18 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12196 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
The Heart Rate Monitor Book for Indoor and Outdoor Cyclists has 3 or 4 ways to determine Max HR, including a long formula that is supposed to be accurate
Old 07-29-03, 06:21 AM
Bruco
Wind Breaker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Polar A5 sounds like a good choice to me: it has all the features an advanced cyclist needs. A nice detail is that it (as opposed to my Sigma) will also display your HR as a percentage of your max.

I suppose that you can configure the HRM yourself, so that you are not obliged to stick to the 220-age formula and a set of predetermined training zones.

As concerns the maximum heart rate (real versus estimated), resting heart rates (necessary for the Karvonen method), training zones, etc., besides consulting the books mentioned you could also do a search in this Training & Nutrition Forum. There are many, many highly informative posts here!
Old 07-29-03, 10:20 AM
Justen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Bruco
The Polar A5 sounds like a good choice to me: it has all the features an advanced cyclist needs. A nice detail is that it (as opposed to my Sigma) will also display your HR as a percentage of your max.

I suppose that you can configure the HRM yourself, so that you are not obliged to stick to the 220-age formula and a set of predetermined training zones.

As concerns the maximum heart rate (real versus estimated), resting heart rates (necessary for the Karvonen method), training zones, etc., besides consulting the books mentioned you could also do a search in this Training & Nutrition Forum. There are many, many highly informative posts here!
Hi Bruco,

I have to say that I have been very impressed with the posts in this forum. They are exceptionally helpful !

I think the Polar AS is going to be a good choice. I am not that advanced yet as a cyclist but am certainly more serious about it than I ever have been before. I have learnt a great deal more about how my body works, good diet practices and how to maximize my exercising to my advantage but there is still lots to learn.

Anyway, I will do the search and am going to get a couple of books later today that have been recommended here.

Thanks again !

Justen
Old 07-29-03, 10:32 AM
shaharidan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also do a search in this forum on heart rate monitors. you'll find a lot of good info. some of it is repeated in this thread, but i think you'll find some new stuff too. koffee brown has contributed a lot of stuff and her posts are worth reading. there are also a couple of Docs that read the boards and post some good info (cbhungry for one).
Old 07-30-03, 06:16 PM
fstrnu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forget max heart rate. A much better method is to base your training zones on your lactate threshold. See Joe Friel's book "The Cyclist's Training Bible".

Good luck.
Old 07-30-03, 07:41 PM
lovemyswift

Bikes: Aegis Swift, Titus Racer x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or check our Gale Barnhart's book "The Female Cyclist" She piggybacks on Joel Friel but simplifies everything. Lot's of great information for women and a training plan, too.

Kathi