Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Foot pain

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Foot pain

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-07, 12:18 PM
tplow10

Bikes: Trek 1500, Raligh MTX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Foot pain

i have been experiencing foot pain when riding ...i recently switched to SPD pedals i took of my mountian bike. would a more road specific cleat help with this prob....or any ideas would be greatly app......my shoes fit great and are very comfortable
Old 05-04-07, 12:25 PM
blazer95

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends on where the pain is. It may or may not be related to the pedals. Where does your foot hurt?
Old 05-04-07, 12:33 PM
tplow10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
right underneath where the SPD cleat is...normally causes numbness too
Old 05-04-07, 02:00 PM
Gummy Bear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to have foot issues as well. It got to the point where I have a "protrusion", sort of a calcium build up if I understood my doctor correctly, on my left foot. In any case I changed several things which have solved my problem. I bought a pair of stiff road shoes with a wide base road pedal. This prevent the shoe from flexing and digging/rubbing into my feet. The second component and equally helpful, is that I try to spin more than before. This really helps with the amount of pressure I put on my feet during rides.

in your case, what kind of shoes are you wearing? Do they flex while you are pedaling (so it feels like you are only pushing down on your cleat)? If so, you may want some stiff road shoes. Hope it helps.
Old 05-04-07, 08:35 PM
ericgu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tplow10
i have been experiencing foot pain when riding ...i recently switched to SPD pedals i took of my mountian bike. would a more road specific cleat help with this prob....or any ideas would be greatly app......my shoes fit great and are very comfortable
I used to get that with my SPDs, and it went away when I switched to road shoes and SPD-SL pedals (which are also easier for me to get into and out of). It may have been because the soles were more flexy.

I have a friend who had the same experience - he was getting ready to go to the podiatrist and then he got new shoes/pedals and all his pain went away.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 05-04-07, 09:02 PM
Flywolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same here, after getting SPD-SL which is wider and a new stiffer Specialized shoe fixed the foot pain issue for me, we also moved the cleats a little forward. Also remember to pull on the pedals and not just push and keep moving your toes to circulate the blood in your foot.
Old 05-04-07, 09:27 PM
slowgo

Bikes: Cervélo R3, Specialized Tarmac, Raleigh Redux

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 25 Posts
same here-had bad "hot foot" on the outside of my left foot with my spd pedals. Look style Nasbars, SD-SL's both complete alleviate the pain.
Old 05-04-07, 10:05 PM
tplow10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks alot for the advise...will try the new shoes and cleat...and get back on the road
Old 05-04-07, 10:26 PM
VegaVixen

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I never skimp on any shoes that I wear, even cycling. I wear Specialized Women's Pro Carbon, stiffest sole I could get in Specialized. Why Specialized? There is a "metatarsal button" which is designed to keep the long bones in the foot spread to avoid loss of blood circulation and nerve impingement. I love 'em. And I do have some foot damage from having been a 24/7 caregiver on my feet waaaaayyyy too much. Without this shoe, I have no doubt I'd suffer on rides longer than 30 miles.

I also use Speedplay X-series pedals. Because of the high stiffness of my sole, the force is pretty well distributed over a larger area. And my knees love the float of the Speedplays.
Old 05-10-07, 12:06 AM
tplow10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got some LG ergo air shoes and Shimano r540 pedals.....so far so good...bring on them hills
Old 05-10-07, 12:10 AM
Plow13

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez 2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tplow10
i got some LG ergo air shoes and Shimano r540 pedals.....so far so good...bring on them hills
his feet still hurt after i drop him