Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Pinarello electric road bike, 28.6 lb.

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-17, 04:53 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 194 Posts

Pinarello releases e-Road bike | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

Quite an accomplishment to bring in an electric road bike at 28.6 lb. with batteries, just under 20 lb. without.

Keep in mind this is a pedelec, so no throttle, only pedal assist. So not quite as versatile as some current designs, but I like where this technology is headed.
Old 11-20-17, 05:43 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Very cool. If more people enjoy cycling, it's positive for all cyclists.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 11-20-17, 09:36 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I didn't see battery capacity for this bike.
Old 11-20-17, 10:29 PM
city_cowboy
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a pretty decent weight for an e-bike. It's over $7K though. I doubt there's much of a market for $7K 29 lb. road bikes.

It does make you wonder why so many ebikes are closer to 55 or 60 lbs though if this one is just 8 lbs. more than a conventional road bike.
Old 11-21-17, 12:55 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by city_cowboy
That's a pretty decent weight for an e-bike. It's over $7K though. I doubt there's much of a market for $7K 29 lb. road bikes.

It does make you wonder why so many ebikes are closer to 55 or 60 lbs though if this one is just 8 lbs. more than a conventional road bike.
High-end carbon road bikes are 16-17 pounds, and this appears to have a 250w mid-drive and small battery added, which is how they got to 28. A similar project can be accomplished at home with one of the lighter/lower-power mid-drives on the market, but most ebikers want power and range..both of which cost weight.

The Pinarello starts from the other end: Roadies who might be getting older or injured, and still want to climb hills pedaling a race bike. It'll be interesting to see how they do with it.
Old 11-21-17, 01:34 AM
city_cowboy
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's actually a 9 kg or 20 lbs bike without the motor. Not a true lightweight without the motor even. The press release says the motor produces up to 400 watts.

It's max assisted speed is just 15 mph.

It's a fun novelty and steppingstone for now. I just don't see much of a market for this thing.

They also have a rear suspension model. Again, I don't know who's buying these bikes, but glad to see innovation and development. A lighter ebike is good. But there's no information on range, which likely means range is very short.
Old 11-21-17, 02:03 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by city_cowboy
It's actually a 9 kg or 20 lbs bike without the motor. Not a true lightweight without the motor even. The press release says the motor produces up to 400 watts.

It's max assisted speed is just 15 mph.

It's a fun novelty and steppingstone for now. I just don't see much of a market for this thing.

They also have a rear suspension model. Again, I don't know who's buying these bikes, but glad to see innovation and development. A lighter ebike is good. But there's no information on range, which likely means range is very short.
20 pounds without batteries. I'm comparing to a similar carbon bike without any ebike components for the sake of what I was trying to express.
Old 11-21-17, 02:12 AM
city_cowboy
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a tech paper which explains the differences between this and a conventional carbon frame. It's overbuilt obviously, and there are a few tweaks to make it more aerodynamic.

I think in 5 years or so, the price point and weight will be far more attractive. By then, self riding bicycles will be rolling out...
Old 11-22-17, 10:40 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I'm always interested to see bikes like my old trusty design rolling out.

Personally, I think a fast sub 30lb ebike is crazy fun unlike most anything I see on the market.
the big difference - my 29lb bike goes 25+ mph.

While I understand European standards, having the motor kick out around 15mph is a total waste. My first build was like this, and I found I didn't use the motor at all (gave me an incredible range though, LOL). I quickly redesigned it for 25+mph instead of 15mph.