Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I live in fear....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I live in fear....

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-04, 09:56 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I live in fear....

Those who have been here for any length of time will know what I'm talking about. It always happens at this time of year -- I shall refer to it only as the "M" word for now. This year so far it has been strangely quiet (by this time last year they had been into me for three weeks already), but I know it won't be far off. I know they're lurking out there -- waiting to swoop on my head, ears, neck, whatever else they can grab. I'm awaiting that fatalistic screech, knowing what's coming

I had been hoping to say nothing, but Ron H blew my cover in the other thread. Now I am awaiting the inevitable punishment that goes with springtime in Australia. Surely it's only a matter of time...

That is all.
Old 08-04-04, 09:59 PM
Joe Gardner
BikeForums Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
uh oh!

Old 08-04-04, 10:19 PM
KevinmH9

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please elaborate, what is this "M" word, haven't been around long enough to know anyone well.
Old 08-05-04, 02:23 AM
Chris L

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Originally Posted by KevinmH9
Please elaborate, what is this "M" word, haven't been around long enough to know anyone well.
See last year's thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=32675

That is all.
Old 08-05-04, 11:19 AM
ChezJfrey
Rider in the Storm

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, KHS Fiero (Fixed), Centurion Ironman Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blame Hitchcock -- that's probably those critters' inspiration.
Old 08-05-04, 11:47 AM
bikenutr2000

Bikes: EVO, FUJI Track, etc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, for a minute there I though "M" stood for marmoset, now those are some serious liabilities to your health.

All kidding aside, I am glad we don't have those problems here.
Old 08-05-04, 11:50 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Chris,

Someone suggested (don't remember where) placing "eyes" on your
helmet, to scare off the offending "M"s.
Decals?
can't hurt to try, anythings got to be better than living in fear!

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 08-05-04, 12:24 PM
SipperPhoto
The Cycling Photographer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uh oh.. the M word...

The name that shall not be mentioned !

Good luck this year Chris... maybe it's just and off year

jeff
Old 08-05-04, 12:48 PM
Tom Pedale

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert, 1990 Specialized Allez Epic, Specialized RockCombo (winter), 70's Motobecane Team Champion,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris L
Those who have been here for any length of time will know what I'm talking about. It always happens at this time of year -- I shall refer to it only as the "M" word for now. This year so far it has been strangely quiet (by this time last year they had been into me for three weeks already), but I know it won't be far off. I know they're lurking out there -- waiting to swoop on my head, ears, neck, whatever else they can grab. I'm awaiting that fatalistic screech, knowing what's coming

I had been hoping to say nothing, but Ron H blew my cover in the other thread. Now I am awaiting the inevitable punishment that goes with springtime in Australia. Surely it's only a matter of time...

:eek

Actually, I remember in the early 70's when I first started cycling as an adult on a lead-piped Schwinn Varsity that one of these feathered fiends repeatedly dove at my head as I was riding in Thousand Oaks, CA. My thought at the time was "Not only do I have to worry about land-based threats like cars or dogs, I've also got to track what might be coming out of the sky!"
Old 08-05-04, 09:36 PM
Chris L

Originally Posted by MERTON
did you ever get a properly colored helmet?
Nope. that's why I'm living in fear.

That is all.
Old 08-05-04, 09:38 PM
Chris L

Originally Posted by lotek
Chris,

Someone suggested (don't remember where) placing "eyes" on your
helmet, to scare off the offending "M"s.
Decals?
can't hurt to try, anythings got to be better than living in fear!
I've heard mixed feedback on that. Some say it works, others say it doesn't. Maybe it just works in some cases. :confused: Either way, I might give it a shot -- assuming they bother coming out this year.

That is all.
Old 08-05-04, 10:27 PM
Hitchy

Bikes: how long have you got?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
g'day,

the colour of your helmet has nothing to do with it,(but I s'pose you already know that). We had one at a race last year that was particularly viscious!. normally they only come at you from behind, but this one was up for head on collisions!. Every lap during the race he 'got' another guy....blood & sunnies everywhere. I've seen the 'eyes' on the back of the helmet work before, but I 've also seen guys with them on get 'done' as well. Guess it depends on the bird. Ahh the joys of spring riding in Oz, the smell of freash flowers, the warmth in the air....the tell tale blood dripping down your face!,

cheers,

Hitchy
Old 08-06-04, 01:26 AM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hmm...tennis rackets might be a high seller this summer for use as a "cycling accessory"
Old 08-06-04, 01:59 AM
MediaCreations 
Marathon Cyclist

Bikes: Road Bike / Mountain Bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Hitchy - Did you get the video camera rolling so you could send a tape to Australia's Funniest Home Videos? They love to see people in pain.
Old 08-06-04, 10:09 AM
foehn

Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris L
I've got a perfect solution, although it will take a little work.

First, go out and buy a whole bunch of those shiny, metallic pipe cleaners that are sold in craft stores (at least they are in the U.S.A.). Get 'em about 18 inches long and make sure you get alot. While you're at the store buy some of that mylar reflective tape that people put up in their gardens to scare birds away.

When you get home, take the mylar tape and tie little, tiny bows on the ends of each pipe cleaner and make sure you twist the pipe cleaners to keep the bows on tight. Do about a hundred of these.

Now take the cleaners with the bows and loop them through all the vents of your helmet, so the cleaners are attached by the end without the bow and so that the bows are sticking out, suspended out and away from the helmet like fancy cat whiskers. Finish attaching the cleaners so that your helmet looks like half of a giant, shiny, sparkly dandelion seed-fluff-ball.

Vi-O-LA! The "Ms" will only attack to the distance the bows are from your helmet! You will gain even more respect from the homophobic jerks in cars you encounter and you will be the IDOL of every little kid you pass.

And DON'T forget to post a picture when your helmet protection is complete and you are ready to ride!

Old 08-06-04, 04:01 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked 1,754 Times in 1,194 Posts
We had a problem last year with red-wing blackbirds ("cow-birds") attacking cyclists wearing a particular color of helmet (the cyclists, not the birds).
Old 08-06-04, 09:26 PM
Rural Roadie
RetroGrouchWrench

Bikes: Schwinn's: World Voyager, Tempo, 754, 594, 2 Travelers, Mesa Runner, and a few cheepies.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time for the tennis racket strung with fine piano wire?
Old 08-07-04, 10:30 AM
iamlucky13
Footballus vita est

Bikes: Trek 4500, Kona Dawg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Merton! Don't say it out loud. Dangit, you could jinx all our Australian friends.

I read about some California Condors attacking cyclists for a while. That would be scary! Those things are huge!
Old 08-07-04, 10:49 AM
naisme
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had the misfortune as a child to crawl into a pigeon coop, and not be able to get out, I spent an hour in the coop crying, with these dumb birds, before family found me.
The only other experience with fowl was a white goose at some park, I think it was in the GO city. The bugger came up and took my cheese sandwich right out of my hands, I was 3 at the time.
The big threat we have in MN at the moment is the growing population of Canadian Geese. These fowl are the only bird that I look at and can imagine Dinosaurs were Avian ancestors. They roam in herds their droppings are slippery, and they are nasty when you ride by them trying to make your way through them.
Old 08-07-04, 08:27 PM
juciluci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here i am thinking the dreaded word is Marriage.. silly me..

thank goodness we only have a starling invasion with no fear here, as they are known for their littl' peckers.
Old 08-08-04, 03:07 AM
Pessi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
We had a problem last year with red-wing blackbirds ("cow-birds") attacking cyclists wearing a particular color of helmet (the cyclists, not the birds).
Red-wing blackbirds are not the same as Cowbirds. The first is a black bird with red epaulets, the second is a smaller black bird with a brown head.
Old 08-08-04, 03:36 AM
Chris L

Originally Posted by foehn
I've got a perfect solution, although it will take a little work.

First, go out and buy a whole bunch of those shiny, metallic pipe cleaners that are sold in craft stores (at least they are in the U.S.A.). Get 'em about 18 inches long and make sure you get alot. While you're at the store buy some of that mylar reflective tape that people put up in their gardens to scare birds away.

When you get home, take the mylar tape and tie little, tiny bows on the ends of each pipe cleaner and make sure you twist the pipe cleaners to keep the bows on tight. Do about a hundred of these.

Now take the cleaners with the bows and loop them through all the vents of your helmet, so the cleaners are attached by the end without the bow and so that the bows are sticking out, suspended out and away from the helmet like fancy cat whiskers. Finish attaching the cleaners so that your helmet looks like half of a giant, shiny, sparkly dandelion seed-fluff-ball.

Vi-O-LA! The "Ms" will only attack to the distance the bows are from your helmet! You will gain even more respect from the homophobic jerks in cars you encounter and you will be the IDOL of every little kid you pass.

And DON'T forget to post a picture when your helmet protection is complete and you are ready to ride!

I'm gonna print this post out and show it to a couple of my friends. Maybe it's a nice project for next weekend.

That is all.
Old 08-08-04, 03:40 AM
Chris L

Originally Posted by Rural Roadie
Time for the tennis racket strung with fine piano wire?
I'm amazed anyone can remember that! That is actually an idea I'm keen to try out. Maybe I should visit the Tandem section to see if anyone's prepared to sit on the back with the tennis racket.

Originally Posted by juciluci
here i am thinking the dreaded word is Marriage.. silly me..
That is the dreaded word, kind of. However, it's not quite as likely as a magpie attack.

Originally Posted by juciluci
thank goodness we only have a starling invasion with no fear here, as they are known for their littl' peckers.
Those would be the homophobic jerks mentioned above then?

That is all.
Old 08-08-04, 09:25 AM
beatle bailey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being dive-bombed by a freekin' black bird, while riding a bike, can be quite scary when you least expect it.
Old 08-08-04, 12:19 PM
Damaged

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hit the brakes haha. Or just don't wear a helmet !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.