Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Back to Back

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Back to Back

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-10, 09:32 PM
Lell
I want go fast

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine SLR02

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back to Back

SO i have really gotten into road biking and i ussualyl ride about 2 to 3 times a week. I want to do it more often, sometime back to back days. How do you prepare your body for this, what do you eat? Do you stretch? Should i Do long distance one day then short the next? A few questions but i was just wondering?

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-28-10, 09:34 PM
brandonobrien

Bikes: '06 Orbea Orca w/ Shimano 6700

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You just ride. Unless you're riding 100 miles a day, back to back days won't mean anything. I ride Saturday and Sunday, take Monday off, ride Tuesday-Thursday, take Friday off and repeat.

I just wake up, ride, go about my business, sleep, wake up and ride. Nothing special.

I average 25-30 miles per day on the weekdays and anywhere from 25-45 miles per day on the weekend (looking at bumping those mileages up soon though)
Old 07-28-10, 10:19 PM
Chef151

Bikes: '03 Klein Q Carbon Race, 105/ultegra, reynolds wheels, toupe saddle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The back to back doesn't mean that much assuming you take some occasional days off.
Old 07-29-10, 04:03 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
For years I was riding 5-6 days a week. The only reason I'm not doing that right now is because it's winter. I would ride short distances during the week (anywhere from about 20-80 km) and long distances on the weekend (metric centuries, centuries ... and longer, much longer).

One of my favourite things to do with a long weekend was to ride a century (100 miles) on Saturday, another century on Sunday, and then to cool down with a metric century (100 km) on the Monday.

Even though my fitness level has dropped way off for medical reasons, I still managed a variation on that about a month ago where I did a metric on Saturday, a metric on Sunday and a 50 km ride on the Monday.
Old 07-29-10, 06:53 AM
Lell
I want go fast

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine SLR02

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YEah i just didnt know if doing this was a bad idea or if you need to give yourself a days rest after riding for so long. Looking forward to really just getting into it and doing longer distances.
Old 07-29-10, 07:02 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Lell
YEah i just didnt know if doing this was a bad idea or if you need to give yourself a days rest after riding for so long. Looking forward to really just getting into it and doing longer distances.
Just listen to your body, if you start riding and your body just won't cooperate cut the ride short. If you need a day off the bike, take it.