Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Internal cables that rattle

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-15, 05:51 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts

I've been checking out a particular alu bike with internal cables. I read a review on it and it was good except that the cables rattled inside the down tube. Never having (or really wanting) a bike with internally routed cables, is there some common way to fix it, maybe a sleeve inside or something, or would it be something you would have to live with? Because I couldn't deal with that.
Old 12-27-15, 06:12 PM
Vicegrip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I've been checking out a particular alu bike with internal cables. I read a review on it and it was good except that the cables rattled inside the down tube. Never having (or really wanting) a bike with internally routed cables, is there some common way to fix it, maybe a sleeve inside or something, or would it be something you would have to live with? Because I couldn't deal with that.
Yes, multiple ways to fix depending on the bike and cables.
Old 12-27-15, 06:26 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty common is a sleeve with the same anti-rattle grommets around it that are used on external cables.
Old 12-28-15, 06:25 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
You don't specify how the cables are set up. First of all we are talking about shifter cables, right? A properly designed setup for only the inners passing through the down tube with stops at the openings shouldn't rattle as they are pulled tight and don't touch anything on the way down the tube. The plugs/ferrules at the tube openings should suspend the cables and keep them away from the frame. But if the setup is with full outer cables passing through the frame, that is a recipe for problems. The cables can be slack inside just as if they were outside. That allows them to touch the inside walls of the frame. You don't want that kind of setup.

Occasionally you see a bare wire setup where the two cables are criss-crossed on purpose. That is probably not a good idea for internal routing.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-28-15, 08:08 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
You don't specify how the cables are set up. First of all we are talking about shifter cables, right? A properly designed setup for only the inners passing through the down tube with stops at the openings shouldn't rattle as they are pulled tight and don't touch anything on the way down the tube. The plugs/ferrules at the tube openings should suspend the cables and keep them away from the frame. But if the setup is with full outer cables passing through the frame, that is a recipe for problems. The cables can be slack inside just as if they were outside. That allows them to touch the inside walls of the frame. You don't want that kind of setup.

Occasionally you see a bare wire setup where the two cables are criss-crossed on purpose. That is probably not a good idea for internal routing.
I don't know, pretty sure the openings have stops. This is the only info I can find on it. Not the exact model but the same frame.

Mekk Pinerolo AL 1.5 review - BikeRadar
Old 12-28-15, 08:24 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Complete replace of my post:

The cables are full outers. As Robert said, that's a recipe for rattling.

https://road.cc/content/review/165906...pinerolo-al-20

I did wonder whether water thrown up from the front wheel would get into the entry ports on the underside of the down tube because they don't look particularly well sealed, but that hasn't happened. Water would find it difficult to get at the cables anyway because they have outers along their full length.

Last edited by svtmike; 12-28-15 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-28-15, 08:24 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by Lazyass
I don't know, pretty sure the openings have stops. This is the only info I can find on it. Not the exact model but the same frame.

Mekk Pinerolo AL 1.5 review - BikeRadar
It looks like the problem could be the extreme narrowing of the down tube from the head tube down to the BB shell. The cables may not have enough clearance at the BB to get to the openings there without hitting the bottom of the down tube. If the openings at the top were a little more to the side, i.e. higher in the tube, maybe they would clear better. If the fouling is very near the BB shell as it seems it would be, you can likely get in there (with BB removed) to put a couple of inches of outer on the inner cable to insulate them from the down tube. That could help. I guess that personally, I wouldn't take the risk.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-28-15, 08:49 AM
Lazyass

You would think the manufacturer would have identified this problem before selling them.
Old 12-28-15, 09:39 AM
rpenmanparker 

If you had the frame in hand, you could check whether ferrules could be used as cable stops to allow bare inners inside the frame. But under the circumstances I would run, not walk, in the opposite direction.

Originally Posted by LAJ