Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Emonda ALR 5 or S5

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek Emonda ALR 5 or S5

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-16, 04:15 AM
lysanderP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Emonda ALR 5 or S5

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, please excuse any n00b errors.

My local shop has the ALR 5 2017 and the 2016 S5 at only 70 bucks more. Would the S5 be a better choice?

I have concerns that the low end 300 Series OCLV Carbon used on the S5 may not be as good as the high end 300 Series Alpha Aluminum used on the ALR 5.

Thanks in advance!

Paul
Old 07-26-16, 06:53 AM
Steelerfan14

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I trust my local bike shop greatly. They do not try to sell me upgrades that aren't worth it. We were talking today and he said he would not even consider a trek carbon bike until you get to the 500 series carbon. I believe the S5 is 400 series carbon. I also believe the ALR is lighter than the S5. I'd love to have a carbon bike but I'll wait until I can afford a nice one. I don't want a low grade carbon just to be able to say, "I have a carbon bike". His words were that he would take the ALR 5 over a low end carbon any day of the week. There is a huge difference in the carbon once you step up to the SL series and then of course even better to the SLR series

I got my ALR 5 for $1025 as it was his last one. Im using my savings to add a carbon seat post to take some vibration away from my surgically repaired lower back. Possibly carbon handle bars as well. Just my .2 cents
Old 07-26-16, 06:54 AM
Steelerfan14

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Your right. The S is 300 series carbon. Go for the ALR
Old 07-26-16, 09:10 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steelerfan14
I trust my local bike shop greatly. They do not try to sell me upgrades that aren't worth it. We were talking today and he said he would not even consider a trek carbon bike until you get to the 500 series carbon. I believe the S5 is 400 series carbon. I also believe the ALR is lighter than the S5. I'd love to have a carbon bike but I'll wait until I can afford a nice one. I don't want a low grade carbon just to be able to say, "I have a carbon bike". His words were that he would take the ALR 5 over a low end carbon any day of the week. There is a huge difference in the carbon once you step up to the SL series and then of course even better to the SLR series

I got my ALR 5 for $1025 as it was his last one. Im using my savings to add a carbon seat post to take some vibration away from my surgically repaired lower back. Possibly carbon handle bars as well. Just my .2 cents
300 series carbon is great for certain purposes. It might be marginally less efficient for crit racing and may be fairly heavy for carbon, but it is very good for long rides and is really durable. I never had much problem with speed on my Madone 3.1....

The only reason I'd skip the S5 is because the ALR 5 is cheaper and slightly lighter. I just passed over the S5 for an ALR 6 for that reason as a replacement for the Madone. The only reason I'm replacing the Madone is because it was stolen - with upgraded wheels it was a great bike. Got a 2016 because Emondas just don't get discounted much and the summer sale's timing was perfect.
Old 07-26-16, 09:31 AM
dallastx

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lysanderP
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, please excuse any n00b errors.

My local shop has the ALR 5 2017 and the 2016 S5 at only 70 bucks more. Would the S5 be a better choice?

I have concerns that the low end 300 Series OCLV Carbon used on the S5 may not be as good as the high end 300 Series Alpha Aluminum used on the ALR 5.

Thanks in advance!

Paul
Did they release the 2017 version, on the website it still says SALE! and I guess it is 2016, isn't that right?
Old 07-26-16, 11:45 AM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
First off, your shop does not have a 2017 Emonda ALR. Trek has not yet released the 2017 lineup for the Emonda ALR. An announcement is expected at Trek World next week but specifics on what that might include are unknown. It might simply be a new paint job or there might be a spec change or feature addition.

Trek has released several 2017 Road Bikes, the full Domane line (unless there are unannounced models) and most of the Emonda SL and SLR lines. In addition, the Madone 9 series was also updated with some spec changes.

I suspect that they’ll update their website after Trek World, a lot of the new 2017s are not available to dealers so I suspect that’s why the website is not blanketed with them. Heck, bikes with the new Dura-Ace aren’t scheduled to be available until mid-October.

I agree with the LBS that Steelerfan14 spoke with, I think the 500 series carbon with the semi-integrated seat mast is the way to go if you’ve got the money over the 400 series and 300 series carbon. That being said, having put over 1000 miles on a 400 series bike and close to 500 miles on 300 series bike, I think they’re all great bikes. As with anything (and this is coming from someone who commutes on an Emonda SLR) it’s really about your budget and if you like the bike.

The Emonda SL6 @ $3000 was a huge seller for us this past year, especially because it was full stem-to-stern Ultegra bike. But we rental the 4.3 Domane and we’ve got like a 10% conversion rate on rentals that end up buying the 4.3 right afterwards (which we think is pretty darn good).

Honestly our shop didn’t move a lot of ALRs, the S5 outsold it. There’s a general perception that “carbon is better” at a comparable price point. We’ve had carbon Tiagra bikes outsell aluminum Ultegra bikes on clearance simply because of frame material (not even ride quality, frame weight, etc).

I think for a while Cannondale (CAAD) & Specialized (Allez) has had the “high end” aluminum market in the US cornered. So I appreciate it that Trek, especially considering we sell Trek and don’t sell the other brands have given consumers a choice.

But you really need to ride the bikes and not just buzz around in a parking lot for 5 minutes. Do a proper test ride. Bring your gear, put your pedals on the bike, clip in your shoes, etc. Or if you don’t have that stuff, wear what you’d wear on a normal ride. Go up a hill, get out of the saddle, bomb down a hill, slam on the brakes (safely), make a sharp turn, really put the bikes through their paces. One of them will speak to you more than the other and at a $70 difference it shouldn’t be a money factor.

Too often people get hung up on what others recommend or some sort of validation, BF is notorious for that. I think something and I steer people in a direction but ultimately I let you do “the driving.” When I’m on the sales floor I show you what I’ve got, I gauge what you’re looking for and I make an educated recommendation based on what I know or have experienced. But ultimately when you’re slogging up some hill, it’s not going to matter what softreset on BikeForums.net told you, nor what the sales rep who sold you the bike sold you on. If you’re comfortable on a ‘lowly’ 300 series S5 (or whatever the bike) and you’re out riding bikes having fun and being safe, then you’ve made the right choice.
Old 07-26-16, 06:23 PM
lysanderP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by softreset
First off, your shop does not have a 2017 Emonda ALR. Trek has not yet released the 2017 lineup for the Emonda ALR. An announcement is expected at Trek World next week but specifics on what that might include are unknown. It might simply be a new paint job or there might be a spec change or feature addition.

Trek has released several 2017 Road Bikes, the full Domane line (unless there are unannounced models) and most of the Emonda SL and SLR lines. In addition, the Madone 9 series was also updated with some spec changes.

I suspect that they’ll update their website after Trek World, a lot of the new 2017s are not available to dealers so I suspect that’s why the website is not blanketed with them. Heck, bikes with the new Dura-Ace aren’t scheduled to be available until mid-October.

I agree with the LBS that Steelerfan14 spoke with, I think the 500 series carbon with the semi-integrated seat mast is the way to go if you’ve got the money over the 400 series and 300 series carbon. That being said, having put over 1000 miles on a 400 series bike and close to 500 miles on 300 series bike, I think they’re all great bikes. As with anything (and this is coming from someone who commutes on an Emonda SLR) it’s really about your budget and if you like the bike.

The Emonda SL6 @ $3000 was a huge seller for us this past year, especially because it was full stem-to-stern Ultegra bike. But we rental the 4.3 Domane and we’ve got like a 10% conversion rate on rentals that end up buying the 4.3 right afterwards (which we think is pretty darn good).

Honestly our shop didn’t move a lot of ALRs, the S5 outsold it. There’s a general perception that “carbon is better” at a comparable price point. We’ve had carbon Tiagra bikes outsell aluminum Ultegra bikes on clearance simply because of frame material (not even ride quality, frame weight, etc).

I think for a while Cannondale (CAAD) & Specialized (Allez) has had the “high end” aluminum market in the US cornered. So I appreciate it that Trek, especially considering we sell Trek and don’t sell the other brands have given consumers a choice.

But you really need to ride the bikes and not just buzz around in a parking lot for 5 minutes. Do a proper test ride. Bring your gear, put your pedals on the bike, clip in your shoes, etc. Or if you don’t have that stuff, wear what you’d wear on a normal ride. Go up a hill, get out of the saddle, bomb down a hill, slam on the brakes (safely), make a sharp turn, really put the bikes through their paces. One of them will speak to you more than the other and at a $70 difference it shouldn’t be a money factor.

Too often people get hung up on what others recommend or some sort of validation, BF is notorious for that. I think something and I steer people in a direction but ultimately I let you do “the driving.” When I’m on the sales floor I show you what I’ve got, I gauge what you’re looking for and I make an educated recommendation based on what I know or have experienced. But ultimately when you’re slogging up some hill, it’s not going to matter what softreset on BikeForums.net told you, nor what the sales rep who sold you the bike sold you on. If you’re comfortable on a ‘lowly’ 300 series S5 (or whatever the bike) and you’re out riding bikes having fun and being safe, then you’ve made the right choice.
Thanks for your detailed response, the dealer is in Thailand as thats where I am based, they said the ALR was 2017 I guess they may have been mistaken from your response.

This is my first road bike, I'm not after carbon for the sake of 'having a carbon bike' but because the smoother ride appeals to me, plan on doing some long rides regularly with a group of friends and thought that the absorption qualities of the carbon would be a better fit for me than the Alu ALR.

I don't think they will let me ride the bikes to test them out but will go back today and ask. TREK are very well priced over here in Thailand, and several hundred dollars cheaper than the Uk where `i am from.

I guess the heart of my question is how 300 series carbon performs against a high end Alu, as you've mentioned you have done several hundred miles on a 300 series carbon without problems then it seems like it may be the better choice for me, but as yet undecided! lol

Thanks again for your input and if you have anything further to add, it will be well received.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 07-26-16, 06:24 PM
lysanderP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dallastx
Did they release the 2017 version, on the website it still says SALE! and I guess it is 2016, isn't that right?
Might be a misunderstanding at the dealer, I will double check today, this is in Thailand btw.
Old 07-26-16, 06:31 PM
lysanderP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your right. The S is 300 series carbon. Go for the ALR
Hi Steelerfan14,

Thanks for your post, do you have any specifics on why to go for the ALR than the S (other than what your friend at the dealer said), i.e. why the lower quality carbon may not perform as well?

The difference in weight is not a big deal for me, it's comfort I am after. I'm 38 and don't plan on doing any racing.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 07-26-16, 06:37 PM
monsterkidz
monster

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to my LBS yesterday looking for ALR 5. They had a full Dura Ace SL in my size for $3,500.Seemed like a great bike but the geometry didn't work for me.
Old 07-26-16, 06:46 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
If the roads are not very good there I would get the bike that will take the biggest tyres.
If that isn't an issue get whatever you like the look of.
It is just a bike. Don't over think it.
Old 07-26-16, 08:07 PM
Steelerfan14

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Ultimately it is up to you. You can change the ride drastically just by which tires you decide to use and lowering the tire pressure a little bit. The ALR is a darn nice frame and for the summer sale price of $1379 your getting a lot of bike for that price. To me the 300 series carbon s5 bike I tested felt sluggish compared to the ALR frame. Again it's a decision you have to make but as I said before, you can dampen the ride quality with tires and pressure.

If I had the money an Emanda SL 5/6 would have come home with me

Another nice bike is the ALR 6. Adds full Ultegra group set, nicer wheels, and a carbon seat post, which will also help the ride quality

Hi Steelerfan14,

Thanks for your post, do you have any specifics on why to go for the ALR than the S (other than what your friend at the dealer said), i.e. why the lower quality carbon may not perform as well?

The difference in weight is not a big deal for me, it's comfort I am after. I'm 38 and don't plan on doing any racing.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 07-26-16, 10:35 PM
lysanderP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ultimately it is up to you. You can change the ride drastically just by which tires you decide to use and lowering the tire pressure a little bit. The ALR is a darn nice frame and for the summer sale price of $1379 your getting a lot of bike for that price. To me the 300 series carbon s5 bike I tested felt sluggish compared to the ALR frame. Again it's a decision you have to make but as I said before, you can dampen the ride quality with tires and pressure.

If I had the money an Emanda SL 5/6 would have come home with me

Another nice bike is the ALR 6. Adds full Ultegra group set, nicer wheels, and a carbon seat post, which will also help the ride quality
Thanks for expanding on that. Btw both models are 2016.

Yep the SL would solve my dilemma
Old 07-26-16, 11:14 PM
softreset

I don't think they will let me ride the bikes to test them out but will go back today and ask.
Gotcha. That's rough. I don't know if I could buy a bike without a test ride. Even if all the measurements line up, nothing can replace throwing a leg over it and taking it on a quick ride.

Again, I still think the 300 series carbon gets a bad rep on these forums but I think either bike will make their owner happy.
Old 07-27-16, 07:41 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts

Sounds like your LBS has a great salesman. I never understood how or why the "last one" in stock gets a discount. Obviously if there was no problem selling the rest of them, why discount what is implied as a best seller?
Old 07-27-16, 09:10 AM
softreset

I'd argue the opposite. He's a poor salesman, or a quality deception artist. If we have a hot seller we hold margin like it's my job (which it is). The only time we ever let one go for cheap, especially a "last one" spiel is when the product doesn't sell well and the boss gives the green to get it the hell out the door.
Old 07-27-16, 07:31 PM
Steelerfan14

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Sounds like your LBS has a great salesman. I never understood how or why the "last one" in stock gets a discount. Obviously if there was no problem selling the rest of them, why discount what is implied as a best seller?
The reason I got it at that price was because my lbs lost its Trek dealership to a new shop across town. The new shop has two other shops near larger cities and their buying power is much more. So my shop was liquidating all Trek and bontrager gear. I have also bought many bikes there and my job has purchased many bikes there, so he hooked me up and gave it to me at cost just to get rid of it. Apparently road bike sales in our town have been pretty crappy this year
Old 07-28-16, 12:20 PM
softreset

The new ALR 5s were released today (I suspect website won't be updated with colors till after Trek World next week)

Same MSRP - $1599 (USD)

- Still tubeless ready rims
- 25s instead of 23s on the tires
- Still full 105 with a 50/34 & 11/28
- Montrose Comp saddle instead of the Paradigm Race (they're replacing the Paradigm with the Montrose on all their bikes)
- Microfiber bar tape instead of gel cork

Colors are a matte lime green and a black gloss with orange text highlights