Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bad Service?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bad Service?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-16, 09:22 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123
If you think thats bad. Once I took my bike in before a big Century ride I had been training for for months. I had asked for a tune up. We discussed I would be riding in the century. Half way through the century my rear derailer cable started to unwind and jammed into the shifter. Needless to say my ride was cut short.

When I got home I found the mechanic having sex with my wife. I was like "WTF dude, my rear derailer cable broke half way through my ride" He replied, "Tune-ups don't include new parts". So from now on I always ask to get new cables when asking for a tune up.
If this isn't best story/post of the year, nothing is.
Old 08-04-16, 09:23 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
If you think thats bad. Once I took my bike in before a big Century ride I had been training for for months. I had asked for a tune up. We discussed I would be riding in the century. Half way through the century my rear derailer cable started to unwind and jammed into the shifter. Needless to say my ride was cut short.

When I got home I found the mechanic having sex with my wife. I was like "WTF dude, my rear derailer cable broke half way through my ride" He replied, "Tune-ups don't include new parts". So from now on I always ask to get new cables when asking for a tune up.
Hah.
Old 08-04-16, 09:37 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

WTF. I think that mechanic screwed your whole family over. So do your own wrenching dudes or get your wife screwed
Old 08-04-16, 10:01 PM
CafeVelo

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Nashbar CX, Trek 2200 trainer bike, Salsa Casseroll commuter, old school FS MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only thing that sounds off to me is the brake rub, however I have seen wheels that were bent untrue themselves to return to their equilibrium after being serviced. Also, mechanics are people and miss stuff. I know on a busy day I've taken a wheel off and put it back on, intending to, and believing I did, true it. When you build five bikes and do five tune ups in a day, while stopping and walking away from what you're doing repeatedly, to help customers you're bound to miss something. Of course, a good shop will look at the bike when they return it to you and correct issues, since they know it happens. On a busy day accessories get left on the bench all the time. Especially seat wedges. Since most work stands grip the seat post, it's often taken off to provide enough post to clamp safely.

I usually replace anything under about $10 that needs it without asking for approval. Cables, tubes, small runs of housing, it's been my experience most people are more interested in a functional bike than being bothered with an explanation of why I can't make it work as is. They're usually happy to pay the extra couple dollars and if they seem unsure I'll explain to them what and why I replaced, and that's it. You should receive quality service but don't expect people not to make mistakes from time to time.
Old 08-04-16, 10:33 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Bicycles are so simple and elegant so do it yourself is by far the best way and satisfying.
Old 08-04-16, 11:13 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
As fro the brake rub ... unless the customer asked for the wheel to be trued, i wouldn't think he would get it---and at whatever was the going rate. As was mentioned above, truing a wheel is not generally part of a tune-up.
Old 08-05-16, 07:18 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts

Originally Posted by StanSeven
If this isn't best story/post of the year, nothing is.
This. Good show.
Old 08-05-16, 07:23 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
As fro the brake rub ... unless the customer asked for the wheel to be trued, i wouldn't think he would get it---and at whatever was the going rate. As was mentioned above, truing a wheel is not generally part of a tune-up.
Near the end of the OP's difficult to read opening post, he states that he pointed out that the front wheel rubs on the brakes and asked the mechanic to correct it. While he didn't use the words "true my wheel" (brake rub is not indicative of an out of true wheel, but it could be one of many issues), he did ask that the problem be corrected as needed.

There is a local shop near me that writes down specific notes on your bill when you bring the bike in. Then they check repairs off the list as they do them. This is a good small town shop run by fellow cyclists. They hold weekly Mtb and road rides from the shop. Good people with a growing business.
Old 08-05-16, 03:38 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dat good!
Old 08-05-16, 04:56 PM
monsterkidz
monster

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally could not imagine calling a customer asking permission to replace a tube.
Old 08-05-16, 05:07 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
If you think thats bad. Once I took my bike in before a big Century ride I had been training for for months.
Is a "big Century" just a regular century but for fat people? Or was it in Texas? Are there small centuries?
Old 08-05-16, 05:52 PM
monsterkidz
monster

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Is a "big Century" just a regular century but for fat people? Or was it in Texas? Are there small centuries?

Cut the guy some slack, his mechanic is sleeping with his wife!
Old 08-05-16, 06:26 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterkidz
Cut the guy some slack, his mechanic is sleeping with his wife!
Cut the mechanic some slack, he can't be expected to be an expert at wrenching and wenching.
Old 08-06-16, 05:17 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ ..