Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can anyone explain all the different road-bike classes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-16, 04:17 PM
imperius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi,

I'm just starting to get into the world of road bikes and am pretty much just flooded with all the road bike types and classes.

So far I think I got a somewhat rought image of everything.

So lightweight bikes/ climber bikes are the types of bikes pros use on races like tour de france, meant to tackle hills easily and be light.

Endurance bikes are more for the average guy with a more relaxed geometry, made to be a bit more comfortable

Aero bikes are made for straight line speed and are a bit heavier because of the aerodynamic shape

Gravel bikes are road bikes that are able to handle gravel roads

Cyclocross bikes are made for cyclocross races with mud and such (but what's the difference between this and a gravel bike?)

Anything else I'm missing?
Old 08-29-16, 04:44 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I don't know how much these are "classes" of bikes as opposed to marketing niches invented by sales strategists - I'll be interested to hear from others about that.
Old 08-29-16, 04:45 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Road bike is a generic term. There are flat bar and drop bar, I'll try to explain drop bar.

Climbing are light weight and optimized for hills.
Aero are heavier but more aerodynamic and faster on fkat roadster.
Endurance have a more relaxed fit and are more compliant.
Gravel have higher bottom brackets and wider tires to absorb the rough road.

I'm sure others will add more detail.
Old 08-29-16, 04:49 PM
ahanulec

Bikes: Felt F85, Proflex 757, Proflex 252

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Seems like you have an understanding of the differences.

I've always looked at the cyclocross bikes as lightweights with extra tire clearance whereas the gravel bikes are more like endurance bikes with extra tire clearance.

Last edited by ahanulec; 08-29-16 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-29-16, 05:28 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by imperius
hi,

I'm just starting to get into the world of road bikes and am pretty much just flooded with all the road bike types and classes.

So lightweight bikes/ climber bikes are the types of bikes pros use on races like tour de france, meant to tackle hills easily and be light.

Endurance bikes are more for the average guy with a more relaxed geometry, made to be a bit more comfortable

Aero bikes are made for straight line speed and are a bit heavier because of the aerodynamic shape

Gravel bikes are road bikes that are able to handle gravel roads

Cyclocross bikes are made for cyclocross races with mud and such (but what's the difference between this and a gravel bike?)

I'm not sure what you are asking. Pretty big general topic. Just see the BF sub forums.

There are defined competition disciplines you can find on most country bike sites and the world site Union Cycliste Internationale

Then there is whatever you want category that is not competitive. Beach cruisers to ???

So within the USA:

Mountain bike
Track - bunch of race types
Cross - road bike on dirt
Road
Mass Start - Road Bikes - aero matters - some gravel introduced
TT - Aero bars not mass start legal

Last edited by Doge; 08-29-16 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-29-16, 07:05 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
I can explain in one word

Marketing
Old 08-29-16, 07:10 PM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

Marketing

Right. The only person who can answer your question is a marketing person. And his/her answer will change next year.

I suggest you go into a performance or REI or LBS and ask to ride a variety of bikes. They'll probably put you on a hybrid, endurance geometry, race geometry etc and then you can see what you like. Be careful to focus on how your setup feels not the ride quality of the bike.
Old 08-29-16, 07:13 PM
AristoNYC

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by imperius
hi,

So lightweight bikes/ climber bikes are the types of bikes pros use on races like tour de france, meant to tackle hills easily and be light. - Yes and no, to me its more about gearing than bike weight. Unless you are pushing crazy watts and weigh 140 pounds, I can deal with a 20 pound bike.

Endurance bikes are more for the average guy with a more relaxed geometry, made to be a bit more comfortable. They usually have a sloping top tube and higher headtube giving you more of an upright position. Most of these "endurance" bikes now come equipped with disk brakes standard. Depending on the geometry and material used you can have a sloppy feeling bike or a twitchy bike.

Aero bikes are made for straight line speed and are a bit heavier because of the aerodynamic shape. Yes, they can be heavier because more material is used to create thicker sections on the bike, especially the deep section rims. Weight doesn't really matter in flat sections, aerodynamics matter more at that point.

Gravel bikes are road bikes that are able to handle gravel roads. Some call them gravel, some call them monster cross. They are usually able to accept larger tires than most cross bikes (40-50mm). Usually a more relaxed geo than a traditional race cross bike.

Cyclocross bikes are made for cyclocross races with mud and such (but what's the difference between this and a gravel bike?) - They are pretty much the same thing with some minor geo differences and bottom bracket height. Unless you are racing cross, either will suffice.

answered above in bold.

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

Marketing
agreed. however, if you can justify it, there are differences.
Old 08-30-16, 07:24 AM
monsterkidz
monster

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's amazing how well marketing works.
Old 08-30-16, 07:29 AM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Marketing can cure a vast number of woes if it's done well.

I tend to lump bikes into fewer catagories. Race bikes, endurance bikes and cyclocross bikes. Maybe a 4th for the TT bikes.
Old 08-30-16, 07:36 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Marketing wouldn't invent it if people didn't want and buy it.

Regards,
-Marketing
Old 08-30-16, 07:59 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
How is the fact that my CX frame can fit 700x50 tires marketing? There are road bikes out there today where 700x25s are a squeeze. I wanted a bike that could accommodate wider tires, so I shopped for a CX frame. Marketing played absolutely no part in it.
Old 08-30-16, 08:10 AM
RoderWrench

Bikes: Cannondale Slate and the rest don't matter anymore.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Don't forget all-road. Road bike geometry with room for 38-42 tires. It's not just marketing. All these bikes have differences. The type is just what the bike design was optimized for. Of course you can ride a CX bike on a gravel road or climb a mountain with an aero bike, I haven't read any marketing that says otherwise. Now is a great time for the cyclist, so many great choices. Some folks just want to grumble about everything.
Old 08-30-16, 08:29 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
20 years ago the race, endurance, aero and gravel bike were all the same and made of steel and lasted forever. And then marketing came along to save the industry
Old 08-30-16, 08:30 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
How is the fact that my CX frame can fit 700x50 tires marketing? There are road bikes out there today where 700x25s are a squeeze. I wanted a bike that could accommodate wider tires, so I shopped for a CX frame. Marketing played absolutely no part in it.
'Marketing' also raises and lower headtubes and bottom brackets, shortens and lengthens wheelbases, swaps caliper for cantilever for disc brake caliper mounts, and adds and removes braze-ons for rack and fenders.

If you do more with it than just go on 'club rides' with your bike, you very likely paid quite a bit of attention to these fairly small but significant details on different classes of 'road bikes.'
Old 08-30-16, 08:34 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 1,027 Posts
I don't understand this "it's just marketing ploy" train of reasoning at all, because there are real differences between types of road bikes which make them more amenable to their target discipline. Those differences include handling traits, components, and frameset features.

I mean, if it's not obvious what distinguishes a TT/tri bike from an adventure bike from a racing bike from a cyclocross bike, I honestly don't know what to say.

Aero road bikes I would not really distinguish from racing/lightweights, as they're both designed to be used for the same kind of riding. Aero bikes offer additional benefit to those who can afford them, but you'd ride one for the same kind of cycling you would a typical racing bike.
Old 08-30-16, 08:51 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you think it is just marketing, please bring your gravel bike to my time trial tomorrow.
Old 08-30-16, 09:18 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest

Regards,
-Marketing
Not true. If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.
- Henry Ford
Old 08-30-16, 10:08 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I don't understand this "it's just marketing ploy" train of reasoning at all, because there are real differences between types of road bikes which make them more amenable to their target discipline. Those differences include handling traits, components, and frameset features.

I mean, if it's not obvious what distinguishes a TT/tri bike from an adventure bike from a racing bike from a cyclocross bike, I honestly don't know what to say.

Aero road bikes I would not really distinguish from racing/lightweights, as they're both designed to be used for the same kind of riding. Aero bikes offer additional benefit to those who can afford them, but you'd ride one for the same kind of cycling you would a typical racing bike.
Right. Good post!
Old 08-30-16, 10:24 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
Not true. If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.
- Henry Ford
I wish we had faster horses instead of cars.

Cars. What a disaster.
Old 08-30-16, 04:24 PM
ltxi

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Regards,
-Marketing

Methinks you gots that mostly backwards.
Old 08-30-16, 04:34 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I wish we had faster horses instead of cars.

Cars. What a disaster.
You volunteering to clean up after them?
Old 08-30-16, 04:42 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
20 years ago the race, endurance, aero and gravel bike were all the same and made of steel and lasted forever. And then marketing came along to save the industry
Old 08-30-16, 04:43 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
- Henry Ford
Leaving aside the fact that Ford probably didn't say that (https://hbr.org/2011/08/henry-ford-never-said-the-fast), the point is that people never would have been able to say that they wanted a mass market automobile which outperformed the non-existent competition on price. Yet, when GM did enter the fray, offering custom colors to Ford's black-only T, his market share tumbled.
Old 08-30-16, 05:11 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's the thing - it doesn't matter how many different types of road bikes that there are: what matters is what YOU are going to do with it. Once you decide that, your choice of type of bike is made.

Last edited by longbeachgary; 08-30-16 at 10:12 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.