Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

comfort

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-16, 04:04 PM
pinkman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
comfort

Alright I did some searching on the forum looking for my answer, didn't want my first post to be a stupid question.
I have not ridden in 20 years, I am a soon to be 54 year old, out of shape, and at least 60 lbs overweight. I bought myself for Christmas a used mtn. bike off craigslist and have started riding it, I have adjusted the seat, and handlebars for my height and comfort,,I know, no other way to ask this question I hope not to offend anyone with my first question, but after a few rides about a mile long my" balls" keep getting squished what do you guys do to remedy this, other than being winded, and not being in control which way my legs go after I get off I have no other problems for now..I am going to get in shape if it kills me..
Old 12-30-16, 04:22 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Look at where the seatpost connects to the seat. There is usually an adjustment where you can tilt the front of the seat down a little. It takes trial an error to find the right position. Depending on the age of the bike, it may not have this option.
Old 12-30-16, 07:08 PM
pinkman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
Look at where the seatpost connects to the seat. There is usually an adjustment where you can tilt the front of the seat down a little. It takes trial an error to find the right position. Depending on the age of the bike, it may not have this option.
Thanks
Old 12-31-16, 07:10 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
First a bit of nit-picking - bicycles have saddles, not seats.
The reason being that you're supposed to carry some of your weight by your legs, through the pedalling effort. And a tiny bit through your arms.
If you're new to riding, you may simply be expecting too much WRT comfort.
(Recumbent bicycles may have seats though)
Next, what kind of saddle do you have?
Many bikes for casual riding have very soft saddles, which generally doesn't work out well for dedicated riding. Sitting on a soft saddle is a bit like walking barefoot in sand. Comfy at first, but after awhile the sand pushing up into the arch of the foot begins to get tiresome. Same for a soft saddle. The sit bones sink through, allowing the padding to put pressure on the soft tissues between.
What angle is your saddle?
Start out with the saddle dead flat, then go from there in small changes.
What clothes do you ride in?
There's more than aero advantage to ride in tight fitting clothes.
If that feels too exposed to you, check out some baggy MTB shorts with liners.
Are you sure you got about the right height?
Many believe they should be able to reach the ground flat footed with butt-on-saddle, which is very rarely the case. Butt-on-saddle, the leg should be almost entirely straight when the pedal is at the lowest.
Old 12-31-16, 03:01 PM
pinkman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
First a bit of nit-picking - bicycles have saddles, not seats.
The reason being that you're supposed to carry some of your weight by your legs, through the pedalling effort. And a tiny bit through your arms.
If you're new to riding, you may simply be expecting too much WRT comfort.
(Recumbent bicycles may have seats though)
Next, what kind of saddle do you have?
Many bikes for casual riding have very soft saddles, which generally doesn't work out well for dedicated riding. Sitting on a soft saddle is a bit like walking barefoot in sand. Comfy at first, but after awhile the sand pushing up into the arch of the foot begins to get tiresome. Same for a soft saddle. The sit bones sink through, allowing the padding to put pressure on the soft tissues between.
What angle is your saddle?
Start out with the saddle dead flat, then go from there in small changes.
What clothes do you ride in?
There's more than aero advantage to ride in tight fitting clothes.
If that feels too exposed to you, check out some baggy MTB shorts with liners.
Are you sure you got about the right height?
Many believe they should be able to reach the ground flat footed with butt-on-saddle, which is very rarely the case. Butt-on-saddle, the leg should be almost entirely straight when the pedal is at the lowest.
Thanks for the advise a lot of details I may need to work on..I am pretty sure the( saddle) height is about correct, though I will recheck same for the (saddle) angle. I guess I must invest in some riding clothing as well instead of jeans and cargo pants..That is good advise for the hardness of the (saddle) I prefer a much stiffer seat on my Motorcycle than a soft cushion one.
Old 12-31-16, 03:56 PM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Another thing not mentioned there are different shape mountain bike seats depending on riding position. I am assuming your set up for comfort is with the bars fairly high so you are sitting more upright. The different shapes are for forward, neutral, and upright seating positions. Check you these saddles. I am 59 just started back up riding last year after many years off. I like higher bars and use a riser bar with Connect Upright saddle. And for any ride over about 12 miles I wear padded riding shorts. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/saddles Of course there are lots of good brands, but this is a good website to look at prices and subtle differences.
Old 01-01-17, 07:30 AM
justin70
a big man

Bikes: Trek 4300; Motobecane Vent Noir

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wanted to clarify...are you truly having pain from squishing your "balls"? Or is it just discomfort from pressure on your posterior?

If your testicles are getting hurt, sometimes you can try rotating the saddle ever so slightly, so the nose is pointing a little off the center line. This allows your privates to hang off one side of the saddle instead of getting squished into the saddle.
Old 01-02-17, 06:09 PM
pinkman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justin70
I wanted to clarify...are you truly having pain from squishing your "balls"? Or is it just discomfort from pressure on your posterior?

If your testicles are getting hurt, sometimes you can try rotating the saddle ever so slightly, so the nose is pointing a little off the center line. This allows your privates to hang off one side of the saddle instead of getting squished into the saddle.
Thank you, I am going to invest in some riding pants, been using jeans,and cargo pants
Old 01-02-17, 06:26 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by justin70

Moderately awkward conversation, but i do understand the topic (and the pain)

--- for me, if both jump off to one side of the seat it is so painful i have to stop and re-adjust

I am usually wearing cycling shorts -- sometimes under gym shorts - depends on the ride. Instead of bunching everything up in a ball, i try to lay everything out pointing at my belly button as much as possible and the tight shorts usually do a decent job keeping everything in place

For a short while i found myself using a saddle that was too wide (was a premium priced Specialized Body Geometry type) -- im a Clydesdale and thought i needed more support back there. I was wrong, as your sit bones have a fixed position whether you are overweight or not. (To the OP, a Clydesdale is a cycling term for anyone over 200 lbs, - if over 275, you qualify for Super-Clydesdale status huzzah! )

Turns out the flared portion of the wider saddle was pushing my hips forward while pedalling so much that i was mostly putting my weight on the narrower front portion --- ouch
Old 01-03-17, 08:53 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm confused about the balls hurting. They should sit happily on the saddle. Do you have a protruding belly that is smashing them from the top?
Old 01-09-17, 06:56 PM
pinkman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
I'm confused about the balls hurting. They should sit happily on the saddle. Do you have a protruding belly that is smashing them from the top?
LOL..yes I do, but they seem to be getting smashed from the sides...hoping that Bike riding among many other things,like diet will help get rid of the belly
Old 01-14-17, 04:20 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pinkman
Thanks for the advise a lot of details I may need to work on..I am pretty sure the( saddle) height is about correct, though I will recheck same for the (saddle) angle. I guess I must invest in some riding clothing as well instead of jeans and cargo pants..That is good advise for the hardness of the (saddle) I prefer a much stiffer seat on my Motorcycle than a soft cushion one.
Like DABAC said, you should have a proportion of your weight on your legs and that means the seat should be at the proper height for your style of riding. Also if you have the right pants your nuts will be riding up out of the way. I don't know if that happens in jeans. I have never ridden in jeans.
Old 01-14-17, 04:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Stiff back? limber it Up, dont tilt your hips forward bend above the hips ..

Maybe get Pull back Cruiser bars and change them so you dont have to bend over to reach them?
Old 01-14-17, 04:51 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
My 2-cents. What works for some riders, even what works for most riders may not work for you. Try different types of clothing, both loose and form fitting. Also, find a bike shop and try out different seats (on different bikes), firm, soft, wide, narrow. When you find one that works, have them put it on your bike and adjust it until it feels right. Then buy it.