Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pedaling to the post office

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-16, 12:44 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts

So over the past few weeks I ordered some clothing online. Sadly a good chunk didn't work out, so I had to return them. All of the vendors had a prepaid postage label, so I just needed to repackage and drop off at the post office.

I used to do errands like these on the way to work, but the post office isn't super convenient on my walk from the train to the office. It is out of the way half a mile.

Today I have a brunch to go to and it is a block from a post office.

So I decided to load up my bike with the 3 packages: 2 shopping bag envelopes and 1 box.

It was a geometry game to figure out where to put things: rear rack, porteur rack, and pannier. I also of course had my purse and sweater.

I ended up using a pannier for the bags and the box strapped to the top of the rear rack. Purse on the front.

Other than a bit of awkwardness trying to get my rear loaded bike down the front stairs (hard to lift and balance with uneven weighting) it was a breeze. I rode the 2 miles to the post office. Locked up. Offloaded the packages. And went on my way!

How do you manage the post office and packages?
Old 11-05-16, 12:52 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Wald-Rear-Bic...Bicycle+Basket

https://www.amazon.com/Wald-Front-De...Bicycle+Basket

What I had a long long time ago (pre-drivers license). Would not hesitate to install something similar now if the need arises.
Old 11-05-16, 06:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I prefer open top folding grocery panniers. Easier to fit odd sized or oversized bags and parcels. If it rains I can cover the tops with a spare grocery bag, although I usually carry an empty yard/leaf size and strength bag for emergencies and to pick up trash or stray clothes for a donation box (I'm always surprised by how many serviceable clothes I find ditched along my rural rides, when there's usually a donation box only a few miles away). A cargo net and bungee cords keep things in place. I use the Nashbar Townie panniers, but Bushwhacker, JandD and a couple other makers all offer open top folding panniers.

I also have a plastic milk crate for the rear rack but don't often need it. And an large soft sided rolling picnic/beverage cooler that fits atop the rear rack -- it's waterproof and insulated, good for keeping cold stuff cold, or toting parcels to the post office or UPS/FedEx on rainy days. I rig 'em to the rear rack with heavy duty zip ties, bungee cords, nylon web cinch straps, whatever's handy.
Old 11-05-16, 07:19 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408
I rode the 2 miles to the post office. Locked up. Offloaded the packages. And went on my way!

Our post office has lots of room inside so I take the bike inside and rest it against a wall instead of locking up. How to carry packages depends on the size - small ones go in the handlebar bag, larger in a pannier, still larger strapped on top of the rear rack, and still larger go on the utility trailer.
Old 11-05-16, 08:13 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I just strap my packages to the rear rack. I use Arno straps that are long (48" tp 60" depending which ones I use) and that look operate just like super long toe straps. The buckles are metal and thus don't break in winter in sub-zero F degrees temperatures when the strap is being tightened.

Coghlans Arno Straps 48 In $4.47 pair by Miele Man, on Flickr

Whenever i have to bring my bicycle down stairs when the back of the bicycle is loaded I apply the rear brake and let the bike slide from step to step. that way I don't have to lift the bike.

Cheers
Old 11-06-16, 09:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Porteur Rack like CETMA are made for the Job you describe. CETMA racks ? CETMA Cargo

Surly Junk straps are made like a super long Toe strap. and are really useful . Cargo | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes

Old 11-06-16, 01:01 PM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Multipurpose, emergency straps for anything, take your old tubes and cut them into strips, never leave home with out them, ya never know what you will find beside the road etc....
Old 11-06-16, 09:44 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Porteur Rack like CETMA are made for the Job you describe. CETMA racks ? CETMA Cargo

Surly Junk straps are made like a super long Toe strap. and are really useful . Cargo | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes

Those look just like the Arno straps I use except forthe SURLY logo. LOL

How much does Surly charge for a pair of those?

Cheers
Old 11-07-16, 05:59 AM
keg61
short WIDE Clyde

Bikes: 2014 Nashbar flatbar roadbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this was my Post Office/Market connection immediately after my stroke 5 years ago. i lived in a town of approx 500 and everybody in town knew who it belonged to so there was no real risk of theft while conducting my business. it would carry anything i needed to transport and if i could not handle the package from trike to counter i just needed to wait a few minutes for a neighbor to come by
Attached Images
Old 01-05-17, 02:26 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Touring racks and panniers. Some day I'll get a trailer.
Old 01-05-17, 03:34 PM
bobdenver1961

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just schedule a pickup from USPS. It's free and easy. They will come to your house.
Old 01-05-17, 04:19 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I get more packages than I send at the post office. But periodically I'll take a letter to mail.

I did discover that the local rural branch office is much more pleasant to go to than heading into town.

Small stuff goes into a backpack. Anything big just goes into the trailer.

Unfortunately at least 2 or 3 of the local post offices that I go to don't have bike racks.
Old 01-05-17, 09:36 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
For a while, I was selling gently used fashions and part of my vintage boot collection online. This involved preparing packages and taking them to the post office, often in rain or snow. My favorite for this kind of transport is a large messenger bag - my large Timbuk2 wore out after 8 years, and I'm currently in love with the Chrome Metropolis.

Since clothing and leather is susceptible to picking up odors, I'd prepare my packages and put them in a plastic bag with a dryer sheet or two before placing them in the messenger bag. This was effective in keeping my packages from smelling like onions or old books or whatever else might have been in my bag the previous day
Old 01-15-17, 07:47 PM
cabledawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
FreeRadical cargo bike. Post office, hardware store, groceries, or just family rides. It's long and heavy but comfortable to ride with tons of stuff on the back. I also have a flatbed trailer if I need to move bulky stuff or squeeze a few more groceries in on one trip.