Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

I cheated on Zwift today:

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-17, 01:05 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I cheated on Zwift today:

Let me just start by saying I don't care about how fast or whatever I do on Zwift, I ride to ride and get better than I was before. I just don't care about beating anyone else. I have never "cheated" before either. When I completed this little stunt I put my actual numbers back they way I actually am. I just wanted to play with this and see.

So I was reading some stuff on Zwift and how "everyone" is cheating on there. I thought I would see how much cheating by putting in a lower weight would make a difference. So I thought I would "cheat" today and try it. So I dropped 150lbs off my actual weight. Then I rode the Jungle Circuit. Normally the 4.8ish mile circuit takes me about 22-24 minutes at my normal ACTUAL weight of 275.

So for the fun of it I put my weight at 125 just to see how much difference would make. Boy it makes a HUGE difference. I was able to get the same circuit completed in 12:17. 10 minutes off the normal pace. I did go all out at the lower weight so it was a really high output effort but still WOW what a huge difference it made. I was a bit shocked actually. At the time I did it I was the quickest person on the circuit and I got the special jersey and little symbol next to my name on the riders on the right. It was insane. I have to admit it did make me smile to see this but still, I did cheat so it was a very hollow victory. You can see the pic of me in the jersey and the symbol next to my name. Usually I wear the grey 100KM jersey. I like that one, pretty proud to have that one.

What did I learn, well its easy to cheat on here and be a much faster virtual cyclist. Too easy. I put my stats back and will keep on keeping on my normal work outs and EARN everything the proper way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
IMG_0079.jpeg (133.6 KB, 165 views)
Old 12-30-17, 02:41 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I guess the other takehome message here is how much easier it is to ride a bike when you weigh less, so New Years resolutions...here we go again!
Old 12-30-17, 05:43 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been contemplating dropping my weight by 50lbs or so on Zwift because for some reason my power meter always seems to feel 50-70w lower when I put my bike on the rollers than when I'm out on the road.
Old 12-30-17, 06:27 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Next time you want to try out the free "advantages," set your height to 5 feet to go along with the 125lb weight-- you'll be even faster. I was too lazy to ever change mine, but I reckon lots of people do to get to the unlocks faster. I see way too many people on there averaging 23-24mph for every, single, ride.
Old 12-30-17, 06:33 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
I’m going to be try the bambino fondo to get the Dolomites kit. My current fitness and hip replacement recovery mean hills are really tough. I’m thinking of lowering my weight some and ease up trainer difficulty to get thru the 3 Sisters ride which is 2K feet in 30 miles. I earned my level 10 and all rewards so far on my own at my actual weight. Does changing weight make Hills easier in any way or just affect game speed of rider?
Old 12-30-17, 06:36 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Lower weight makes everything faster, climbing especially. Moreso in the Zwiftiverse.
Old 12-30-17, 07:07 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
The Gods of bicycling see and know all.
They have decided on your punishment.
To avoid having saddle sores for the rest of your life
send all your assets to me and I will speak on your behalf.
Old 12-30-17, 10:02 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Lower weight makes everything faster, climbing especially. Moreso in the Zwiftiverse.
Oh so much faster. On 3% grades i was doing 13-14 mph, no way in heck with a 30mph tailwind can i ever do that. I actually passed people climbing that too was a first.

Originally Posted by PdalPowr
The Gods of bicycling see and know all.
They have decided on your punishment.
To avoid having saddle sores for the rest of your life
send all your assets to me and I will speak on your behalf.

Funny i have hade it right with the Zwift gods and placed my numbers back. But if i never get a big bonus again I know why
Old 12-30-17, 11:01 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Oh so much faster. On 3% grades i was doing 13-14 mph, no way in heck with a 30mph tailwind can i ever do that. I actually passed people climbing that too was a first.

Funny i have hade it right with the Zwift gods and placed my numbers back. But if i never get a big bonus again I know why
I saw a video where some skinny Asian guy was doing the Epic KOM climb. Climbing faster than I ever climb, only putting out around 120W, and his heart rate stayed in the 120s. Made it all seem like an effortless Sunday ride in the park.

If you want to have some more fun, get up to the top of some really steep long hill, and then change your weight the other way. Add 100 lbs or more to your real weight, and then blast down the hill, and see what the difference is. I haven't tried this myself, but I have played with the basic aerodynamic equations and on the surface adding weight like this would increase your descent speeds considerably.
Old 01-01-18, 05:38 AM
PaddleFoot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

No such thing as cheating oneself in Zwift; it is more like 'kidding oneself'.

Those sub 5% hills I ignored when riding at 50% gradient become much more realistic feeling (in the legs) at 85%. I can feel uphill grades before they even start reading at 1% grade. A slider setting of 100% can start acting unnaturally, so 85% seems to be the sweet spot for my KickR. I have to shift every gear and because of the smart trainer resistance, shifts must be done using good technique at just the right time. I know not everyone uses the same hardware, though.

I don't want to fudge my weight as I am proud of what I lost. I have my steel frame bike and I stick with my Zipp 202's. I wish there was another variable to prevent the over-speed conditions you see in Zwift so much. Fantasy speeds mean fantasy miles. A simple slider to control a headwind or air density would do the trick. I note that speed matches my ELEMNT until about 12 mph, then Zwift rises exponentially.

Anyways, I do love riding in Zwift and I tend to gab about it too much.

I would really enjoy being able to ride along with anyone here. I am very good at holding a w/kg average as I spend a great deal of time around 1.0 down, 1.5-8 level, 2.2-5 uphill, but I do other things too. Please send a PM for Zwift contact info. I've always been impressed by Clyde's and Athena's on bikes and I wish you all best of luck in enjoying your rides.

Never stop pedaling...

Last edited by PaddleFoot; 01-01-18 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-02-18, 10:20 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Next time you want to try out the free "advantages," set your height to 5 feet to go along with the 125lb weight-- you'll be even faster. I was too lazy to ever change mine, but I reckon lots of people do to get to the unlocks faster. I see way too many people on there averaging 23-24mph for every, single, ride.
Yep. A sub-hour 40K hurts... in the real world.

Want to do some heavy hill repeats? Go to your local tire store and ask them to fill two water bottles up with the old lead weights or go buy a #10 bag of steel shot and fill the water bottles.
Old 01-02-18, 11:01 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
Yep. A sub-hour 40K hurts... in the real world.

Want to do some heavy hill repeats? Go to your local tire store and ask them to fill two water bottles up with the old lead weights or go buy a #10 bag of steel shot and fill the water bottles.

this seems like a really terrible idea
Old 01-02-18, 12:36 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
I put my weight back up to normal. I didn't get to ride the event on Sunday morning thanks to our internet provider having an outage in our area.

I upped it to closer to my weight yesterday just to see how things would behave. I left the trainer difficulty at the lower setting as climbing still hurts. I put weight back to normal after this morning's ride. I prefer to not "cheat" myself. I may only adjust it to ride with a group where the w/kg is still an issue so I can ride with group.
Old 01-04-18, 11:30 AM
trailmonkey72
Fat Ginger in the Desert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
keyboard-doping!!
Old 01-04-18, 12:22 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by trailmonkey72
keyboard-doping!!

what a world we live in!
Old 01-04-18, 12:27 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
strava it or it doesn't count
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.