Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gugificazione Raleigh Super Tourer build thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Gugificazione Raleigh Super Tourer build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-18, 12:23 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
I really dig those small rear racks. Just large enough to carry a rain suit and walking shoes.
Old 01-01-18, 12:29 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
More pix:

Schmidt spade connectors are tight. Real tight. As in, you're changing a flat and it's cold, you're tired, and hard to reconnect. Mini banana plugs are easy on and off, yet are very secure. @southpawboston coached me up on this trick. Crimp the banana plug to the spade, add heat shrink, voila.

It's been obvious for quite a while that Schmidt's tabs aren't at all friendly to on-the-road repairs. I've added a pigtail with more user-friendly connector pins to permit easy disconnects, but Anton's scheme is quite nice! I may have to "borrow" that sometime!

Regarding the rest of the work, boy, I'm impressed! A fellow might even get the impression that the racks take more time to build than a regular frame. So many joints to be brazed!

Thanks for sharing!

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-01-18, 12:53 PM
CountryBiking

Bikes: '85 Centurion Ironman, '86 Novara Corsa ST, '84 Centurion Pro Tour

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Beauty!! Love the way this bike is coming together. That tail light is sweet!
Old 01-01-18, 04:58 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Very cool project! I have to stop reading your threads, they are dangerously inspiring.

Was the M3 bolt necessary? Don't most dynamo hubs ground through the axle? I know the old Sturmey Archer ones don't, but others (and I think that's all the others I've tested) do.
Old 01-01-18, 08:29 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Very cool project! I have to stop reading your threads, they are dangerously inspiring.

Was the M3 bolt necessary? Don't most dynamo hubs ground through the axle? I know the old Sturmey Archer ones don't, but others (and I think that's all the others I've tested) do.
The only hubs that I know that ground through the axle are the inexpensive Sanyo and the Schmidt SL. Complicating things are the rear tail light (if used). Some ground through the frame, others do not.

Last edited by gugie; 01-04-18 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-02-18, 12:25 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
It's been obvious for quite a while that Schmidt's tabs aren't at all friendly to on-the-road repairs. I've added a pigtail with more user-friendly connector pins to permit easy disconnects, but Anton's scheme is quite nice! I may have to "borrow" that sometime!

Regarding the rest of the work, boy, I'm impressed! A fellow might even get the impression that the racks take more time to build than a regular frame. So many joints to be brazed!

Thanks for sharing!

Steve in Peoria
Thanks for the kind words, Steve!

Here's my step by step pictorial.

Racks do take some time, but actual torch time, total on one rack is no more than 10 minutes. Bending and cutting tubing doesn't take much time. Mitering exactly where you want the tube to fit to takes a bit. Figuring out how to jig something you've never done before takes a goodly amount of time. Until you've got that first tack down, it's a house of cards. Defluxing is done in a hot water, ultrasonic bath, so that's just dumping it in the tank and hitting a button, then taking a bio or snack break. What seems to really take time is filing and sanding it all smooth to what appears to be an organic shape.
Old 01-02-18, 06:49 AM
4funbikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
The front rack looks fantastic. Would you care to share the supplier of your tubing?
Old 01-02-18, 08:35 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Lots of planning before the execution evident.
My question is the frame set was stated to have 8 cm of drop, with the 650b tires of the chosen cross section, what is the bottom bracket height Now?
No argument that the bigger drop helps handling, just wondering how the cornering clearance ends up.
Old 01-02-18, 09:51 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by repechage
Lots of planning before the execution evident.
My question is the frame set was stated to have 8 cm of drop, with the 650b tires of the chosen cross section, what is the bottom bracket height Now?
No argument that the bigger drop helps handling, just wondering how the cornering clearance ends up.

No idea, it would depend on what the original spec tires were.

From my experience with this vintage of Raleigh Super Tourer/Competition (essentially the same geometry) it is "adequate". I've never experienced pedal strike.
Old 01-02-18, 10:08 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by 4funbikes
The front rack looks fantastic. Would you care to share the supplier of your tubing?
Round, CrMo tubing is a commodity. Aircraft Spruce has good prices for the small quantities I buy. McMaster-Carr is another good source. There are others, but that's where I go for tubing. I typically use 5/16" .035 tubing, sometimes .028 for light use racks. I've made a few 1/4" front racks for handlebar bags as well.

For those wanting to try their hand at brazing, racks are a good place to start.
Old 01-02-18, 06:56 PM
bear_a_bug 

Bikes: 650B'd '74 Raleigh Super Tourer and '83 Trek 620, '22 Gorilla Monsoon

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
No idea, it would depend on what the original spec tires were.

From my experience with this vintage of Raleigh Super Tourer/Competition (essentially the same geometry) it is "adequate". I've never experienced pedal strike.

I've been running BSP 42mm tires on my Super Tourer conversion with 170mm cranks. I have experienced pedal strike a few times. Since then, I've tried not to pedal through tight turns. Works fine that way.
Old 01-03-18, 11:32 AM
CountryBiking

Bikes: '85 Centurion Ironman, '86 Novara Corsa ST, '84 Centurion Pro Tour

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Round, CrMo tubing is a commodity. Aircraft Spruce has good prices for the small quantities I buy. McMaster-Carr is another good source. There are others, but that's where I go for tubing. I typically use 5/16" .035 tubing, sometimes .028 for light use racks. I've made a few 1/4" front racks for handlebar bags as well.

For those wanting to try their hand at brazing, racks are a good place to start.

It has been a while since I have done any brazing. I have a oxy-acetylene torch that I have used for welding/brazing, I always like the way brazing comes out. It would be fun to try to build a rack. Hmmm...
Old 01-03-18, 12:05 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by CountryBiking
It has been a while since I have done any brazing. I have a oxy-acetylene torch that I have used for welding/brazing, I always like the way brazing comes out. It would be fun to try to build a rack. Hmmm...
Just do it, man! If you have any detailed questions, PM me.
Old 01-03-18, 05:02 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by bear_a_bug
I've been running BSP 42mm tires on my Super Tourer conversion with 170mm cranks. I have experienced pedal strike a few times. Since then, I've tried not to pedal through tight turns. Works fine that way.
You've got your old tight turners, and you've got your bold tight turners, but no old, bold tight turners...

Old 01-04-18, 06:40 AM
4funbikes

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
^ Thank you for the tubing specs and source (in addition to everything else contributed). I've done a few braze-ons, and I think doing a simple rack is next on the agenda.
Old 01-04-18, 03:07 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by 4funbikes
^ Thank you for the tubing specs and source (in addition to everything else contributed). I've done a few braze-ons, and I think doing a simple rack is next on the agenda.
Please post pics when when you do!
Old 01-04-18, 05:31 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Aw heck Gugie - I wish I lived near you, you're a great mentor.
Old 01-04-18, 06:07 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by bear_a_bug
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like philosophically 650B bikes and pedaling through turns don't really go together anyway. If I'm riding my 650B bike, I'm going to be happy to coast now and again. Plus, I'll probably be going slow enough that I don't need to lean that much anyway. And now that I think about it, the gugie-signature low trail conversion probably also reduces one's tendency to lean the bike to extreme extents.
Old 01-04-18, 06:36 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Andy_K
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like philosophically 650B bikes and pedaling through turns don't really go together anyway. If I'm riding my 650B bike, I'm going to be happy to coast now and again. Plus, I'll probably be going slow enough that I don't need to lean that much anyway. And now that I think about it, the gugie-signature low trail conversion probably also reduces one's tendency to lean the bike to extreme extents.
But, but, but, but, fat tires make you go faster, right?

Old 01-04-18, 06:38 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Quoted in its entity only to illustrate my point: you, sir, are overthinking this. Shut down your computer. Get on your bike. Pedal. Steer. Don't think. All good.
Old 01-04-18, 06:46 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by rhm
Quoted in its entity only to illustrate my point: you, sir, are overthinking this. Shut down your computer. Get on your bike. Pedal. Steer. Don't think. All good.
@Andy_K is probably stuck at work waiting for his compiler to compile, so he's stuck in front of his computer.

Which begs the question, Andy, how do you compile a compiler? Sounds like an endless loop...
Old 01-04-18, 07:13 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
But, but, but, but, fat tires make you go faster, right?
Of course, they make you so much faster that you don't need to pedal through corners.

Originally Posted by rhm
Overthinking things is what I do best.

@Andy_K is probably stuck at work waiting for his compiler to compile, so he's stuck in front of his computer.

Which begs the question, Andy, how do you compile a compiler? Sounds like an endless loop...
Sure the compiler compiles itself. It won't be long until it fixes its own bugs and I'll be out of work. Until then I am, in fact, stuck in front of my computer.
Old 01-04-18, 07:38 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 211 Posts
Is the product of compiling called "a pile?"

Nice work gugie. Love that green color too.
Old 01-26-18, 03:57 PM
Scottybigs 

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur SP | Sekine SHS-271 | Wabi Special

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
@gugie I'm glad I stumbled across this thread, because it's hard to find someone with experience using Grand Bois hubs. I recently visited their shop in Kyoto and bought their small flange front hub. I rebuilt my front wheel with it, and it's great so far. In the near future (likely next year), I was planning to order the rear hub and rebuild my rear wheel to match.

What's your opinion of their rear hubs so far? Do they have an aluminum cassette hub body, or steel? Lastly, would you advise against using their aluminum-axle rear hub (small flange) for loaded touring?

Figured I'd strike while this build thread was still hot.
Old 01-26-18, 04:28 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Scottybigs
@gugie I'm glad I stumbled across this thread, because it's hard to find someone with experience using Grand Bois hubs. I recently visited their shop in Kyoto and bought their small flange front hub. I rebuilt my front wheel with it, and it's great so far. In the near future (likely next year), I was planning to order the rear hub and rebuild my rear wheel to match.

What's your opinion of their rear hubs so far? Do they have an aluminum cassette hub body, or steel? Lastly, would you advise against using their aluminum-axle rear hub (small flange) for loaded touring?

Figured I'd strike while this build thread was still hot.
I like them because the bearing shield is red, just like the Maxi-Car of old. It has an aluminum cassette hub body. It's just as good as a few other similar choices, except many freehubs now have a steel insert so the cogs don't dig into the body. This makes disassembly a lot easier - they're a pain to dislodge if the've dug into the aluminum body. Perhaps Grand Bois has added the steel insert as well?

If you're doing loaded touring, I'd suggest bringing a Stein lock ring tool in case you break a rear spoke.

I can't speak to the durability of an alum. axle vs steel. I really like the idea of the Velo Orange Grand Cru hub - it doesn't take any tools to disassemble. There were some reports on early models of freehubs failing. I don't know if they've fixed that, but it would be something to look into.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.